Sponsored by:

VBox using OEM GPS Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 12:07 PM
jkm155
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VBox using OEM GPS Antenna

I’m installing a VBox HD2 in a 991.2. Has anyone been successful in connecting the VBox to the OEM GPS antenna? If so, is there a way to retain use of the vehicle NAV?

Last edited by jkm155; 08-19-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-2018, 12:13 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Is there a reson you are not using the VBox gps antenna....pretty sure you will get much better accuracy with it.
If yiu want to keep it inside the cockpit im sure there are some mounting options that put it in the window or on the dash that would work
Old 08-19-2018, 12:45 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Is there a reson you are not using the VBox gps antenna....pretty sure you will get much better accuracy with it.
If yiu want to keep it inside the cockpit im sure there are some mounting options that put it in the window or on the dash that would work
Evan, you will get a good dose of this with my car, and I want the VBox antenna. We'll be doing this as a winter project. If you are at VIR you may want to check it out so we can plan this. My roof mount problem is compounded with the sunroof, which I use quite a bit (the sunroof slides out above the roof). And then we have the rollbar in the back. Removing the seats to get access is easy (4 bolts), working back there is a PITA.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:58 PM
jkm155
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Just trying to keep the instal as clean as possible, as long as long as it doesn’t limit performance of the VBox.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

There was a reference in the 991.2 thread of an adapter using the OEM antenna for the Nav to operate and connect to the HD2. This was for a track only car and the person wanted, as you do, to have a tidy installation without one on the top of the dash close to the forward lowest edge of the windscreen.

Because the VBOX systems are solely dependent on GPS quality of signal and satellite count to work properly, this is critical.

VBOX doesn’t even recommend internal mounting of any of their antennas, but I have used them on roll bar downtubea under class and on top of the dash far forward without much trouble for a few years, at least since the HD2 came out.

Road America, Sebring and some other tracks are on the edge and problematic, though. So think this through carefully. Not sure you can run two GPS consumers simultaneously, but it is possible.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I’d like to have better reception on cloudy days and cleaner install for my .2RS as well.
Subscribed.

Not like we will use GPS of the Nav system if you can use Waze via Apple play.
Don’t have the car yet, but I assume.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Looking into a FAKRA extension with a pigtail for the HD2. Won’t happen soon because I’ll need to arrange for a car to test it in.

Quick Reply: VBox using OEM GPS Antenna