Sponsored by:

Coolshirt Round Cooling System Mounting Ideas Needed for 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 10:34 AM
JaxEddie
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Coolshirt Round Cooling System Mounting Ideas Needed for 991 GT3

Hello I purchased this system from apex performance. Great customer service btw highly recommend. I have searched the message boards on rennlist and google but cant find any details of how other have mounted this system on a temporary basis to their car. I'm driving a 991 GT3. The first thought that comes to my mind is placing it in a large back pack and putting it behind the passenger seat. I would need to secure it to the seat frame somehow if i go in that direction. I have a BBi Roll Bar as well so securing it to that may be an option.

If you have experience with the round cooler or have seen it in action please chime in. Thanks Ed.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:18 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Not sure how large the container is you're talking about but if your bottle is something like a large insulated drink bottle you can probably use a Drake quick detach system on the roll cage.

Amazon Amazon

Here's a system that uses that mounting solution: https://store.windingroad.com/dfuser...unt-p2380.aspx
Old 08-16-2018, 01:34 PM
JaxEddie
Advanced

Thank you for the suggestion. I should have added a picture. Link to product image here https://www.google.com/search?q=cool...xit8bVNaT_TmM:
Old 08-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Formulabob
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 32 Posts

I have that same system for my Lotus Exige and strap it in the passenger seat. It sits on a folded towel and is held down firmly by the six point harness and an additional strap that wraps around the seat back. No tech inspector has ever objected, but I only run DEs not w-t-w. Further, pretty much only run CHIN DE events and consequently don’t have to deal with any self-important **** TIs (in 25+ years of SCCA and USAC racing, I met more than a couple of these).

I have thought about doing a foamed seat insert for the round container which would be an even better solution than what I do now, but other functional vehicle changes are higher priority at the moment.

Bob L

PS — the cooling system works so well that I tend to run a cycle of two laps on then off for a lap even at Sebring in hot months ( no place in the Exige to mount the Cool Shirt regulator so I just manipulate the on-off switch).
Old 08-16-2018, 10:38 PM
JaxEddie
Advanced

Originally Posted by Formulabob
I have that same system for my Lotus Exige and strap it in the passenger seat. It sits on a folded towel and is held down firmly by the six point harness and an additional strap that wraps around the seat back. No tech inspector has ever objected, but I only run DEs not w-t-w. Further, pretty much only run CHIN DE events and consequently don’t have to deal with any self-important **** TIs (in 25+ years of SCCA and USAC racing, I met more than a couple of these).

I have thought about doing a foamed seat insert for the round container which would be an even better solution than what I do now, but other functional vehicle changes are higher priority at the moment.

Bob L

PS — the cooling system works so well that I tend to run a cycle of two laps on then off for a lap even at Sebring in hot months ( no place in the Exige to mount the Cool Shirt regulator so I just manipulate the on-off switch).
Thank you. If you run at Chin Sebring events I'm sure we see one another. I bring my sapphire blue 991.1 GT3. I played with some placement ideas tonight and found the passenger seat mounting to be viable as you suggested. Also, behind the passenger seat snuggled up next to the vertical section of my roll bar. I found that I can get a tight grip, with a ratchet strap, going around my roll bar post and the container. Ill be back out 9/7 hope to see you around. Ed
Old 08-17-2018, 10:08 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

This Torso strap could be a quick fix (or even a bungee cord wrapped around the seat). The Torso strap is designed to wrap around the chest and go behind the seat in a big circle. Like a big belt. Would work good for the cooler setup along with a 6 point belt or possibly a 3-point seatbelt setup.

https://apexperformance.net/product/...e-torso-strap/

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 08-18-2018, 10:55 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Would this not be easier?

https://store.windingroad.com/coolsh...hoCdJAQAvD_BwE

https://store.windingroad.com/coolsh...tem-p3009.aspx
Old 08-20-2018, 03:26 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I would not want that thing to be held in by a bungee cord. If you get in a collision and that thing comes loose it's basically a giant 5 pound brick bouncing around in the car.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:50 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

We've found the bag systems are just not as robust as the hard cooler systems but some folks don't have the room for a cooler and have to op for a bag.

Quick Reply: Coolshirt Round Cooling System Mounting Ideas Needed for 991 GT3