Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Anyone up at watkins.....and not swimming

thats alot of water, wonder how the track is doing
Old 08-14-2018, 01:23 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Apparently the downtown is flooded by the waterfront and 17 is closed Northbound.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:46 PM
vwmurph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, looks like we left Monday morning just in time. The grounds at the track should be good and soggy for the 100k people they are expecting at the Phish concert this weekend
Old 08-14-2018, 01:55 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

I did almost 3 hours on track Monday with TM--it started wet and got worse from there, all day long--perfect for the Mini .....we didn't get out until almost 10am due to the fog. Was actually kinda cool--evoked images of old movies of the 'Ring and Spa in the rain and mist The track has really held its grip with the repave of a few years ago, and quite a few cars took advantage. A good, if very wet, day

And through it all, they were setting up great guns for Phish--word was they had a crew of 600 (!) working for them. They had a bank of motorhomes set up for them by the grandstands....brought back memories of the Allman Bros concert and The Bog! Be interesting to see if they get it all cleaned up in time for G52 next week.....

Gary
Old 08-14-2018, 02:27 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I was at the Glen just last weekend and it was very wet for part of Saturday but otherwise not too bad. The waterfall in downtown Montour Falls had a lot of water coming over it then but nothing like what's in the video. That's stunning.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
I was at the Glen just last weekend and it was very wet for part of Saturday but otherwise not too bad. The waterfall in downtown Montour Falls had a lot of water coming over it then but nothing like what's in the video. That's stunning.
Yeah I was there Thurs-Mon. Looks like we dodged a bullet!
Old 08-14-2018, 02:55 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
....brought back memories of the Allman Bros concert and The Bog!.....

Gary
Every time I'm at the Glen it takes me back to the late 70's F1 races and The Bog! Brings a smile every time!
Old 08-14-2018, 04:00 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Every time I'm at the Glen it takes me back to the late 70's F1 races and The Bog! Brings a smile every time!
We're showing our age, Carol

Gary
Old 08-14-2018, 04:12 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vwmurph
Wow, looks like we left Monday morning just in time. The grounds at the track should be good and soggy for the 100k people they are expecting at the Phish concert this weekend
Do you think they are going to charge the concert organizers/event participants $350/square yard of turf they will have to replace (the way they do drivers who go off)?
Old 08-14-2018, 05:18 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

We're showing our age, Carol
Gary
shhhhhh! (it’s only a number... just don’t ask the number )
Old 08-14-2018, 05:21 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexaqui
Do you think they are going to charge the concert organizers/event participants $350/square yard of turf they will have to replace (the way they do drivers who go off)?
Don't know, but I heard third-hand on Monday that tix were priced up to $500--with 100k people expected that's a lotta lettuce

Shoulda been a rock star.....

Gary
Old 08-14-2018, 05:41 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Don't know, but I heard third-hand on Monday that tix were priced up to $500--with 100k people expected that's a lotta lettuce

Shoulda been a rock star.....

Gary
From talking with the WGI staff over the weekend when we where there, they make a significantly higher profit off an event like the Phish concert than they do off their highest attended race, which is the Nascar race. That's why they don't mind inconveniencing the DE groups that are using the track while they setup.

It was really weird on the weekend to be honking out of one, hard on the gas and seeing people camped on the inside of the track just sitting there with their back to the track while exotic machinery is flying by and they just didn't care. Can't imagine those same campers are having a good time of it right now.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:55 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Mountour falls

thats alot of water, wonder how the track is doing
The small creeks that surround the Watkins Glen area are in bad shape, small old bridges being tested.

We live just 1/4 mile off of Rt17/I86, about 30 minutes east of the exit to go to the track, the Susquehanna River that flows along the highway is really high.

Senaca and Cayuga Lakes' towns, both sides of lakes got pounded.

PGA Dick's Sporting Goods is a couple a miles down the road, started yesterday is getting poured on.

Fingers crossed here, 500 year flood line set in 2011, is across the street from my home
# NO

Last edited by NYoutftr; 08-14-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:18 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
From talking with the WGI staff over the weekend when we where there, they make a significantly higher profit off an event like the Phish concert than they do off their highest attended race, which is the Nascar race. That's why they don't mind inconveniencing the DE groups that are using the track while they setup.

It was really weird on the weekend to be honking out of one, hard on the gas and seeing people camped on the inside of the track just sitting there with their back to the track while exotic machinery is flying by and they just didn't care. Can't imagine those same campers are having a good time of it right now.
I'm pretty certain that most Phish fans could care less about Porsches. Good friend used to be a roadie/groupie of Phish and follow them like you would the Dead.

That being said, if Phish were playing at the Glen I wouldn't care about them either.

To each his own!
Old 08-14-2018, 06:26 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmuller
Like any company, they'll cater to whomever pays the most. I went to register for a NASA event there later this month and was told it was cancelled for a tire company coming in to test.

Gary

Quick Reply: Anyone up at watkins.....and not swimming