Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Anyone up at watkins.....and not swimming (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1090474-anyone-up-at-watkins-and-not-swimming.html)

Der ABT 08-14-2018 01:06 PM

Anyone up at watkins.....and not swimming

thats alot of water, wonder how the track is doing

Coochas 08-14-2018 01:23 PM

Apparently the downtown is flooded by the waterfront and 17 is closed Northbound.

vwmurph 08-14-2018 01:46 PM

Wow, looks like we left Monday morning just in time. The grounds at the track should be good and soggy for the 100k people they are expecting at the Phish concert this weekend

gbuff 08-14-2018 01:55 PM

I did almost 3 hours on track Monday with TM--it started wet and got worse from there, all day long--perfect for the Mini :D.....we didn't get out until almost 10am due to the fog. Was actually kinda cool--evoked images of old movies of the 'Ring and Spa in the rain and mist :) The track has really held its grip with the repave of a few years ago, and quite a few cars took advantage. A good, if very wet, day :thumbup:

And through it all, they were setting up great guns for Phish--word was they had a crew of 600 (!) working for them. They had a bank of motorhomes set up for them by the grandstands....brought back memories of the Allman Bros concert and The Bog! Be interesting to see if they get it all cleaned up in time for G52 next week.....

Gary

Jake951 08-14-2018 02:27 PM

I was at the Glen just last weekend and it was very wet for part of Saturday but otherwise not too bad. The waterfall in downtown Montour Falls had a lot of water coming over it then but nothing like what's in the video. That's stunning.

Veloce Raptor 08-14-2018 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jake951
I was at the Glen just last weekend and it was very wet for part of Saturday but otherwise not too bad. The waterfall in downtown Montour Falls had a lot of water coming over it then but nothing like what's in the video. That's stunning.

Yeah I was there Thurs-Mon. Looks like we dodged a bullet!

needmoregarage 08-14-2018 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by gbuff (Post 15215278)
....brought back memories of the Allman Bros concert and The Bog!.....

Gary

Every time I'm at the Glen it takes me back to the late 70's F1 races and The Bog! Brings a smile every time!

gbuff 08-14-2018 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by needmoregarage (Post 15215446)
Every time I'm at the Glen it takes me back to the late 70's F1 races and The Bog! Brings a smile every time!

We're showing our age, Carol :crying:

Gary

alexaqui 08-14-2018 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by vwmurph (Post 15215246)
Wow, looks like we left Monday morning just in time. The grounds at the track should be good and soggy for the 100k people they are expecting at the Phish concert this weekend

Do you think they are going to charge the concert organizers/event participants $350/square yard of turf they will have to replace (the way they do drivers who go off)?

needmoregarage 08-14-2018 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by gbuff (Post 15215628)
We're showing our age, Carol :crying:
Gary

shhhhhh!:icon501: (it’s only a number... just don’t ask the number ;))

gbuff 08-14-2018 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by alexaqui (Post 15215657)
Do you think they are going to charge the concert organizers/event participants $350/square yard of turf they will have to replace (the way they do drivers who go off)?

Don't know, but I heard third-hand on Monday that tix were priced up to $500--with 100k people expected that's a lotta lettuce :D

Shoulda been a rock star.....

Gary

mmuller 08-14-2018 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by gbuff (Post 15215841)
Don't know, but I heard third-hand on Monday that tix were priced up to $500--with 100k people expected that's a lotta lettuce :D

Shoulda been a rock star.....

Gary

From talking with the WGI staff over the weekend when we where there, they make a significantly higher profit off an event like the Phish concert than they do off their highest attended race, which is the Nascar race. That's why they don't mind inconveniencing the DE groups that are using the track while they setup.

It was really weird on the weekend to be honking out of one, hard on the gas and seeing people camped on the inside of the track just sitting there with their back to the track while exotic machinery is flying by and they just didn't care. Can't imagine those same campers are having a good time of it right now.

NYoutftr 08-14-2018 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Der ABT (Post 15215137)
Mountour falls

thats alot of water, wonder how the track is doing

The small creeks that surround the Watkins Glen area are in bad shape, small old bridges being tested.

We live just 1/4 mile off of Rt17/I86, about 30 minutes east of the exit to go to the track, the Susquehanna River that flows along the highway is really high.

Senaca and Cayuga Lakes' towns, both sides of lakes got pounded.

PGA Dick's Sporting Goods is a couple a miles down the road, started yesterday is getting poured on.

Fingers crossed here, 500 year flood line set in 2011, is across the street from my home
# NO :surr:

LuigiVampa 08-14-2018 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by mmuller (Post 15215883)
From talking with the WGI staff over the weekend when we where there, they make a significantly higher profit off an event like the Phish concert than they do off their highest attended race, which is the Nascar race. That's why they don't mind inconveniencing the DE groups that are using the track while they setup.

It was really weird on the weekend to be honking out of one, hard on the gas and seeing people camped on the inside of the track just sitting there with their back to the track while exotic machinery is flying by and they just didn't care. Can't imagine those same campers are having a good time of it right now.

I'm pretty certain that most Phish fans could care less about Porsches. Good friend used to be a roadie/groupie of Phish and follow them like you would the Dead.

That being said, if Phish were playing at the Glen I wouldn't care about them either.

To each his own!

gbuff 08-14-2018 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by mmuller (Post 15215883)

Like any company, they'll cater to whomever pays the most. I went to register for a NASA event there later this month and was told it was cancelled for a tire company coming in to test.

Gary