Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best location to mount Cool Shirt 13 q in 987.2 Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:51 AM
ALE
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Best location to mount Cool Shirt 13 q in 987.2 Cayman?

I need to keep my passenger seat. The car is for DD and HPDE.
Frunk or rear hatch area?
​​​​​​​ Thanks!
Old 08-03-2018, 10:18 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

The frunk is by far the best in terms of weight distribution and safety. The rear is the easiest install. Keep in mind that these things do quite a bit of damage when they come loose in a crash. Have seen it several times.

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 08-03-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
The frunk is by far the best in terms of weight distribution and safety. The rear is the easiest install. Keep in mind that these things do quite a bit of damage when they come loose in a crash. Have seen it several times.
I noticed the new style mount with the velcro straps is much more stout compared to the old trays with the ratchet. Of course, it usually comes down to how the base is mounted.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:03 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I noticed the new style mount with the velcro straps is much more stout compared to the old trays with the ratchet. Of course, it usually comes down to how the base is mounted.
Plus you’d be surprised how many people forget to actually strap them down. I get at least one or two when I’m working a race weekend.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:05 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 165 Posts

The strap that comes with the cooler is a joke. Mine is secured in the frunk with two eye bolts, large washers and a much stouter strap.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:23 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

The heat from the front radiators will melt the ice much quicker. If you can't forgo the passenger seat, put it in the rear hatch area..
Old 08-03-2018, 05:48 PM
ALE
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks to all for the replies.
sbelles, if you can, please share a picture of your set up.
24Chromium, if you can, please share a picture of one mounted in the rear hatch.
Thank you
Old 08-03-2018, 06:03 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

+1 for the frunk, works great.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:11 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by ALE
24Chromium, if you can, please share a picture of one mounted in the rear hatch.
Thank you
No, sorry -- no pictures. I'm simply speaking from experience, having had a box mounted in the frunk as well as in the cockpit (passenger seat area in my case). I explained this on another post here on RL that the heat from the nearby radiators will melt the ice much quicker when you mount it in the frunk.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:19 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
No, sorry -- no pictures. I'm simply speaking from experience, having had a box mounted in the frunk as well as in the cockpit (passenger seat area in my case). I explained this on another post here on RL that the heat from the nearby radiators will melt the ice much quicker when you mount it in the frunk.
Thanks for that. I'm just about ready, long overdue actually, and was going to almost automatically put it in the frunk, but what you say makes a lot of sense.

I was also thinking of moving C of G forward, but moving side to side works too.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:15 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Thanks for that. I'm just about ready, long overdue actually, and was going to almost automatically put it in the frunk, but what you say makes a lot of sense.

I was also thinking of moving C of G forward, but moving side to side works too.
Mount it as far to the right as you can, with the width of the box in long axis of the car, i.e. have the lid open to face out the door. Easy to load with ice, and every bit of static weight distribution helps.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:42 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Mount it as far to the right as you can, with the width of the box in long axis of the car, i.e. have the lid open to face out the door. Easy to load with ice, and every bit of static weight distribution helps.
Thanks, I need all the help I can get.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:27 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by ALE
Thank you
No pics at the moment and I won't see my car until later this week.

If you are going to do 6 hour endurance races then not putting it in the frunk is a good idea but I've never had all my ice go away in a 90 min enduro. Now that's in a Spec Boxster but I'm not sure the Cayman makes that much more heat. I wouldn't want it flying around in the cockpit if it does come loose in a crash.

Last edited by sbelles; 08-07-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:46 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by sbelles
No pics at the moment and I won't see my car until later this week.

If you are going to do 6 hour endurance races then not putting it in the frunk is a good idea but I've never had all my ice go away in a 90 min enduro. Now that's in a Spec Boxster but I'm not sure the Cayman makes that much more heat. I wouldn't want it flying around in the cockpit if it does come loose in a crash.

A very valid point about the havoc that a CoolShirt box can wreak if it were to come loose in an incident. That's exactly why I installed a center net in my car.

To your point about the rate at which the ice will melt if you choose to mount the box in the frunk... I suppose it all depends upon where you live and the temperatures you see when tracking. I'm in California where its not that unusual to see 100+ F days in mid to late summer. And yes, the ice would be completely melted in the time span of a 90 minute enduro with a small box located in the frunk when it's that hot.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How good is the cooler they sell with the cool shirt system? If it's just average you could improve your ice longevity by converting a higher quality cooler.

Quick Reply: Best location to mount Cool Shirt 13 q in 987.2 Cayman?