Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bittting the bullet and buying slicks for the runoffs. Suggestions for size & Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 10:01 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

hf1...are sure you race? most groups have a few guys at the front a few in the middle and a few in the back. Every spec Miata race i've seen ends that way. There is only 1 winner but everyone can share in the spirit of camaraderie and competition.

Mark I too run the DH takeoffs and love them. I use the takeoff Yoks and found them fast but not forgiving at the limit. The DH is very progressive and I like that.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:02 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
hf1...are sure you race? most groups have a few guys at the front a few in the middle and a few in the back. Every spec Miata race i've seen ends that way. There is only 1 winner but everyone can share in the spirit of camaraderie and competition.
Of course, driver's skill varies within every class even up to 10sec diff per lap in the same car. There are the front, middle, and back groups of drivers in every class. And that's what competition is all about.

But if there are cars within a single class that are 3sec faster or slower than other cars in the same class (if driven by the same driver) then we're talking about two separate classes of cars which are not competing against each other, under any reasonable definition of the word "competition". I never said that racing against drivers who would be 3sec faster or slower than me (in the same car) is pointless. Racing a car that's either 3sec faster (a "cheater") or 3sec slower (a "beater") than its class car peers would be pointless, to me.

The point of racing, to me, is to compete against drivers that may be 3sec faster or slower than me in the same car, not to drive against cars that are 3sec faster or slower than my car if driven by the same driver.

YMMV, of course.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:39 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Running new stickers is one thing. Getting everything out of them is a whole ‘nother thing. It’s extremely difficult to do this (IMHO) if you’re only used to running scrubs.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:09 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

The point of racing, to me, is to compete against drivers that may be 3sec faster or slower than me in the same car, not to drive against cars that are 3sec faster or slower than my car if driven by the same driver.

YMMV, of course.
Maybe pick another sport because there easily 3 seconds between the fastest and the slowest car regardless of driver in the pointy end of club racing. How do you compare the driver testing and racing mostly on scrubs with the occasional new set of slicks with the guy who always has new slicks to test and race? Not only does the driver benefit but so does the crew chief setting up the car. There are seconds right there and that's only tires.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:32 AM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Maybe pick another sport because there easily 3 seconds between the fastest and the slowest car regardless of driver in the pointy end of club racing. How do you compare the driver testing and racing mostly on scrubs with the occasional new set of slicks with the guy who always has new slicks to test and race? Not only does the driver benefit but so does the crew chief setting up the car. There are seconds right there and that's only tires.
Or you could pick a class where (1) the top 1/3 of cars in a large enough (30+) field are all within 1sec diff of each other and (2) it won’t kill your bank account to keep your car in that group. For this group of cars, the driver’s skill and racecraft (and not the car) will be the major factor in determining the race outcome. The remaining 2/3 of cars in that same class could all be 5-10sec off the pace and drive with NO tires for all I care. Plenty of people out there doing things I wouldn’t do and defining terms (“competition”) differently. Live and let live — not the end of the world.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:55 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
But if there are cars within a single class that are 3sec faster or slower than other cars in the same class (if driven by the same driver) then we're talking about two separate classes of cars which are not competing against each other, under any reasonable definition of the word "competition".
You realize that that by your definition, you were doing parade laps at 2 of your 3 club races. (6-7 seconds off the pace...)

http://www.rennpoints.com/driverhist...oran+Mitrovski

You’re a good driver, so I would say the shows your definition to be off. Maybe this will make you rethink your definition, maybe not. Either way, I hope you come back and have fun racing.

Last edited by 38D; 08-05-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:27 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D

You realize that that by your definition, you were doing parade laps at 2 of your 3 club races. (6-7 seconds off the pace...)

http://www.rennpoints.com/driverhist...oran+Mitrovski

You’re a good driver, so I would say the shows your definition to be off. Maybe this will make you rethink your definition, maybe not. Either way, I hope you come back and have fun racing.

Even more interesting is the level of experience this fountainhead of knowledge has.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe

Even more interesting is the level of experience this fountainhead of knowledge has.
And let's not forget that Zoran has been on 13 month suspension. See Post 20.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...t-fault-2.html

Anyways, let's get back to Mark's original topic. I don't have any advice, but best of luck at runoffs.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:38 AM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by 38D
If my car was 6 sec off the pace (vs the fastest car, with the same driver, which I doubt is the case) then you would be right, and I would seek to remedy that before I continue racing. If I as a driver am 6 sec off the fastest pace at some tracks, that would suggests that I have work to do on becoming faster there.

Thanks for your kind words. As for the ones resorting to insults and the ad hominem, I see that as their admission of defeat and lack of argument. I’m fine with closing this thread derail here.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
what tire would you guys suggest and what would the suggested size be ? the pirellis that worked were 305x645x18 but were a little smalll up front (compared to hossier 305s) and were about the same width as a hossier A6 295.
I wouldn’t try anything NEW if it’s an event that really counts. Stick with tires and a set-up that you have tried and tested.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Then you're not racing with them, just alongside them -- doing parade laps or DE. Maybe you're racing in the wrong class, then.

My perspective may be biased since I've only raced Spec classes (Skippy MX-5 and PCA SPB), the idea being that the same driver (especially the fastest ones) could drive ALL the cars in the class within 0.5sec lap-time diffs or less. I just don't see the point or fun in "racing" with class peers that have cars which are 2-3sec faster than mine (if driven by the same driver). That's DE -- just doing laps, having fun, and passing without point-bys (wow!) -- not that there's anything wrong with it.
Actually, I'm racing them and beating a few of them as well. this car in question i finished ahead of. most all the cars behind me cost a LOT more.... When pobst had the Sofro GrandAm GS M3, easly 3-4x the cost of my car, and professionally prrepared, at the same weight and HP, in our race back in 2008..... your right, i wasn't along side of him, i was in front of him. (at least for a lap.... so, yes, it was racing) my signature is the old car that has been driven to the track. Go ask Tom if Im doing parade laps here.

go to 2:47.. here is a race against one of Tony's monster cars at an inflection point of the race at Laguna seca.. ALL of these cars are 4-5 times the cost than my car on new tires! YOU tell me if this is racing or Just DE'ing, hf1

Go tell Tom he was behind a DE car.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:22 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Mark, I know Tony well, from the BMW world. He knows his stuff.

You can't go wrong with either slick IMO. However, I believe the DH will be more consistently near its peak on the Sears Point surface.
Your decision though
Thats good feedback. I was wondering the same, as we saw the change of times when WCGT cars just changed to this tire, the first time out. i have
"0" experience on the tire when new and as folks have said, many have said that is a big diff vs 3 heat cycle old.. hard to say how my car might react to the larger size and the race pace of my car vs others as well.(obviously slower than the WCGT cars), so, the question ill be asking anyone that i can, willl be the advantages and disadvantages of runing the DH, vs DM, vs the yoks, or Michellins.
thanks.... Yes, Tony makes some amazing cars and they are blistering fast for the power they make. the car in my video eventually tuned up , driver and car to get times down to 1:31s at Laguna seca. flipping amazing. thats as fast as HENZLER in a motorsports upgraded cup car on RA1s.back in WCGT!
Old 08-05-2018, 02:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

you have to be trolling, because what you say, makes absolutely no sense to the club, or even pro racing community.
by the way, many of your races you are out of the top 10, by a long shot IN a SPEC class.
https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4454331#byClass

Ive run WCGT races where the spread is 6 to seconds. in spec serires, the spread in a large field will be 2-3 seconds, this is the SAME car. (type and set up). Now, in no spec classes which is a large part of club racing, you dont get this tight of a spread. there is still racing going on and it is among all the different levels of prep, performance and driver capabilities. what you are saying makes no sense and again, i can think of only one reason for you to present what you have said here.......to be a Troll... if you truly dont understand, go review race reports over the past 30 years. there is always something entertaining and prideful for those that compete decently well, in sub-standard equipment. I have a LOT of fun, racing with , beating, keeping close, or even getting beat by cars much more prepared and costly than mine. as you say, to each his own.

by the way... if i was trying to make a living racing and winning with my car in the classes it fits, i would retire yesterday. However if its about fun racing, and being competitive every weekend? I'm doing it.

Ive been doing this a LOT longer than you . i can tell you , its fun, no matter where you place as long as you have a race IN the race! as was said, if you are not the winner, you are a loser....and in the end, how much does that matter. if it is the most important thing, then why even go out there unless you can win.............if that was the point... no one would partake in the sport! think about it.

Its club racing,.... run what you brung or race what you got. very few find a class and buy a car that fits a class that also fits your budget. This is a new concept and not as common as you think, OTHERWISE, everyone would just race GT3 cup cars or spec miatas/boxsters the most interesting racing (to me) is racing made from different kind of cars. and i think many would agree. again, to each his own

Originally Posted by hf1

Or you could pick a class where (1) the top 1/3 of cars in a large enough (30+) field are all within 1sec diff of each other and (2) it won’t kill your bank account to keep your car in that group. For this group of cars, the driver’s skill and racecraft (and not the car) will be the major factor in determining the race outcome. The remaining 2/3 of cars in that same class could all be 5-10sec off the pace and drive with NO tires for all I care. Plenty of people out there doing things I wouldn’t do and defining terms (“competition”) differently. Live and let live — not the end of the world.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:44 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

No help on tires but Good Luck and Drive Well.

Peter
Old 08-07-2018, 09:32 AM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Ive been doing this a LOT longer than you . i can tell you , its fun, no matter where you place as long as you have a race IN the race! as was said, if you are not the winner, you are a loser....and in the end, how much does that matter. if it is the most important thing, then why even go out there unless you can win.............if that was the point... no one would partake in the sport! think about it.
Mark, I agree with this. Regardless of the size of the time handicap or whether it comes from the tires, the car, or the driver, the most important thing is to have someone to race with and to have fun. Perhaps I’ve put too large of a focus on my car being capable of winning (with a top driver, not necessarily me), since that was the promise Skip Barber made about all of their cars. This thread reminded me that even that’s not that important. Some of the most fun and most satisfying races I’ve had have been when dicing it out with a group in the middle of the pack.

I’ve raced in Skip Barber series since 2009 (50+ race weekends, couple of wins and a few podiums) and only started PCA SPB last year.

Good luck in your nationals with whatever tires you choose! I’d still go for broke and get the stickiest ones allowed. It’s the nationals!

Quick Reply: Bittting the bullet and buying slicks for the runoffs. Suggestions for size & Brand?