Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bittting the bullet and buying slicks for the runoffs. Suggestions for size & Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 01:34 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

Mark, I agree with this. Regardless of the size of the time handicap or whether it comes from the tires, the car, or the driver, the most important thing is to have someone to race with and to have fun. Perhaps I’ve put too large of a focus on my car being capable of winning (with a top driver, not necessarily me), since that was the promise Skip Barber made about all of their cars. This thread reminded me that even that’s not that important. Some of the most fun and most satisfying races I’ve had have been when dicing it out with a group in the middle of the pack.

I’ve raced in Skip Barber series since 2009 (50+ race weekends, couple of wins and a few podiums) and only started PCA SPB last year.

Good luck in your nationals with whatever tires you choose! I’d still go for broke and get the stickiest ones allowed. It’s the nationals!

Thanks! yes, ive done this for a while and have got caught up in ALL that is racing along the way.. But, along the way, ive found what is most important.......to me anyway. its alll about the competition , that being, who is ever close to you and just in front of you. we had many years where the top 4 of our group or pack would change leader position at least once in the race. NOW, that is fun! haveing a fast car, and never seeing a car in front of you IS DE'ing in my opinion. there are many spec cars that are a true 1 second faster than the car behind them, for no other reasons than prep/set up/CASH, and sometimes a little luck. so, to see a 1-2 second spread in spec classes, is normal, as well as seeing 1-5 seconds in a SCCA Class. they try and be fair with classing, but lets face it. how does a 1987 porsche 928 at 350hp supposed to compete with a 2017 porsche cup car gen -2 at over 500hp and 300lbs less.? so, do you just stay home and whine about it, or do you find others out there with similar lap times and beat them? i think the latter is wise. AND, it can be a lot of fun. i probably had more fun than anyone at the WCGT races i ran. i had 2-4 cars i was actually racing against , hard...and got on TV, made some great friends during the weekend, and drove the car home.... if you are not going to win, have the best time! anyway, i agree with you. going to buy the stickiest things that wont blow up , and slap them on the car and try and beat a few of the guys that have been ahead of me in this class, drive clean, and survive the race!
Old 08-07-2018, 08:41 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

DH's better then anything else for your car . Really fast as stickers ,falls off after 1or 2 heat cycles but consistent. depends how long heat cycle is . I can qualify with good times on the stickers and then run the 30 min race at same times . Cant get those times after that though . Maybe 1-2 seconds off sticker times after the 1-2 heat cycles

I don't run them after 3-4 heat cycles even to practice . Just my thing I always want the fastest times I am way to competitive with myself
Old 08-08-2018, 03:05 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve113
DH's better then anything else for your car . Really fast as stickers ,falls off after 1or 2 heat cycles but consistent. depends how long heat cycle is . I can qualify with good times on the stickers and then run the 30 min race at same times . Cant get those times after that though . Maybe 1-2 seconds off sticker times after the 1-2 heat cycles

I don't run them after 3-4 heat cycles even to practice . Just my thing I always want the fastest times I am way to competitive with myself
thanks for the feedbadk. the DHs i used were probably 3 heat cycles and were as fast as theA7s i was using, even though they were in a slightly smaller size. however i got two more heat cycles out of them and they started to be very skatey. so we are talking Pirellis here , but what about the DMs? and then , do you have any experience with the Michelins? or the Yokes. the guys ive been running with seem to run blistering times on both of them. maybe the drawback is that they are no good after 3-4 heat cycles? are they at least as good as an A7 for the next few, or are they junk? thats why im pinging the group. Looking for anyone with feeback or suggestions.
thanks
Mark

Old 08-08-2018, 08:57 PM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Michelin. Hands down the best. Pirelli DH 2nd best
Old 08-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Michelin delivers the quickest lap.
As Steve said, the Pirelli may deliver the quickest race in your car.
Good luck, Mark
Old 08-09-2018, 03:04 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Michelin delivers the quickest lap.
As Steve said, the Pirelli may deliver the quickest race in your car.
Good luck, Mark
Thanks... it sounds like if i run the michellins, i might have a skatey car near the end of the 40 min race..... is that the risk and what you have seen as well? if so, maybe it points to the pirellis.. for sure, the cars are running some pretty quick times in cars like mine (size weight and power)
question.. i havent spoken to tony, but he seems to put a lot of his clients on the Yoks.. wonder if here is a draw back. a 3-4th place car in our last race, ran some blistering laps for his HP/weight on the yoks (pictured in the thread)..... in the larger size, I wonder if they will work and if they will work better. im going to pull up the TC design BMW lap times and see if how consistent the laps were. i think he was in a 1:34 range at laguna. if the times didnt degrade , that might be a sign that they are working. I also dont want to take any unnecessary chances on a tire that fails because my car is heavier.
thanks for the feedback

Originally Posted by grrrmonster
Michelin. Hands down the best. Pirelli DH 2nd best
Thanks for the info... leaning toward the pirellis.. now have to compare the price and to see how long vs the pirellis , they will last.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Any help from others here? what about sizes. whats the size that fits on the 11 x18" rim the best? 30 series from Michelin? will that fit on a 10" rim too?
30 x65 x18 on an 11? and a 27 x65x18" on a 10" rim?

Ive tried the pirelli 305x645s for the front, which are a tad small on the 10" rim. I think I'm narrowing this down to the DH Pirelli or the Michelin mediums."8"s
the slightly larger tire for the rear is not available. all they have are 680s, which are a very tall 27" diameter

yoks are a possibility too. but leaning toward the Michelin as the cost seems to be good, but just unsure of the sizing

Last edited by mark kibort; 08-14-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:13 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen some guys in Corvettes that haven't been any faster on DH than A6 (a few years back). I draw that correlation due to relative engine placement. They without a doubt make more grip than A's though. Compressed the springs on my car, which were set up for A6 to the point I thought a damper had failed it was bottoming out so bad. Shipped rears off for rebuild between back to back weekends and everything. Nothing was wrong with the dampers, just not enough spring/damping to begin with.

Practice on scrubs, check forecast, pick the best conditions qualy to sticker up. (I think there are multiple qualy sessions?) Scrub them in and let them sit overnight. 1st and 2nd heat cycle are golden, 3-5 drops off a bit and then anywhere within 1-1.5 seconds take a a lot of bravery and risk after that.

Since you are familiar with aged DH scrubs, use that familiarity to your advantage. It will probably be a bit better because the slicks from new will have the same number and type of HC on each corner. You never know buying used. But the places will not be won at the beginning of the race most likely. It will be as they are falling off. Your familiarity with the behavior of the DH will give you more confidence on where and how much to push. On a new brand, this will all be new and word of mouth instead of feel.

Depending on the times around you, you may even be better off qualifying on scrubs and saving the full life of the new tire for the race. If you only pick up 1 spot by qualifying on stickers why not just beat that guy with patience? Make him drive his tires off. I'm still assuming the multiple qualifying format.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:08 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
I've seen some guys in Corvettes that haven't been any faster on DH than A6 (a few years back). I draw that correlation due to relative engine placement. They without a doubt make more grip than A's though. Compressed the springs on my car, which were set up for A6 to the point I thought a damper had failed it was bottoming out so bad. Shipped rears off for rebuild between back to back weekends and everything. Nothing was wrong with the dampers, just not enough spring/damping to begin with.

Practice on scrubs, check forecast, pick the best conditions qualy to sticker up. (I think there are multiple qualy sessions?) Scrub them in and let them sit overnight. 1st and 2nd heat cycle are golden, 3-5 drops off a bit and then anywhere within 1-1.5 seconds take a a lot of bravery and risk after that.

Since you are familiar with aged DH scrubs, use that familiarity to your advantage. It will probably be a bit better because the slicks from new will have the same number and type of HC on each corner. You never know buying used. But the places will not be won at the beginning of the race most likely. It will be as they are falling off. Your familiarity with the behavior of the DH will give you more confidence on where and how much to push. On a new brand, this will all be new and word of mouth instead of feel.

Depending on the times around you, you may even be better off qualifying on scrubs and saving the full life of the new tire for the race. If you only pick up 1 spot by qualifying on stickers why not just beat that guy with patience? Make him drive his tires off. I'm still assuming the multiple qualifying format.
thanks! thats what i was thinking and leaning toward as well the format is 3 qualifying and then a race which also gets the 24hours in there for the tires to rest. i could run them on the 2nd session and then run them in the race to get the golden 2 seasons out of them. there is a substantial cost difference vs the Michelins right now, plus the sizes are better fits as well.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:20 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Any help from the racers here with sizing? i need to make a decision in the next couple of weeks . again, i have 10s and 11s. and wonder what sizes to get in the Michelin if i go that route. the pirellis are a little small for the rears on 11s, and i cant use the tall 315x680s for the rear. the michellines have a size that looks like it will work, 30x65x18 for the rear and 27x65x18 for the front, but dont know for sure if that is best. (currently have been using 315x30x18 hoosiers up to this point on all 4 corners, with 295x30s on the fronts sometimes)
thanks
Mk
Old 09-15-2018, 05:17 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I really could use the input from those that have gone back and forth between hoosier A7s (or other fast DOTs) and slicks.

coming down to crunch time with only near 4 weeks left to make a decision.. in talking to a REAL fast TCdesign Bmw driver whom runs the yoko slicks, he said that they are not better for an all out fast lap, in fact, the A7s are faster in their first heat cycle lap, but the yokes are better from lap 6 onward and usually are very good for 6 heat cycles..... sounds like , with their super hard sidewalls and me having no experience with them, the A7s might still be the better choice. HOWEVER, isnt there a tire that is constantly faster than a hoosier from day 1? sounds like its narrowing down to the DH pirelli, and the Michellins. has anyone slapped on a set of these vs hoosiers and found a full second? I knew the A7s were good, but didnt think that they were that close to the slicks available. i would lean toward the DH if the tire sizes were a little larger to fit my car (the proper width tires seem to be too tall) but,there is talk that they are not even that much faster than the A7s. the A7s are a lot less expensive and might just do that , since it doest sound like there is any magic bullet like i was looking for. thoughts?
Old 10-01-2018, 03:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Ive just ordered the Michelins. I've heard fantastic things about them. hope they have a little more stick than the Hoosiers. the local dealer is going to give me a set of free take offs for the first sessions and then lll qual and race on the new set. 2 weeks away!!!!
Old 10-02-2018, 03:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Sure would test first... I'd want to know the extent of the balance change, want to get temps and pressures optimized. Not a good idea to go in a completely different direction than you have data and experience with for the race, AT the race...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Sure would test first... I'd want to know the extent of the balance change, want to get temps and pressures optimized. Not a good idea to go in a completely different direction than you have data and experience with for the race, AT the race...
That's exactly what I posted a couple of pages ago. Pirelli DH and Michelin are VERY different tires.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I should have a set to try in the 1st qual practice session. I'm not too concerned that i wont be able to adapt to the tires quickly. however, you make a good point, i wont be able to optimize pressures and settings in one session. however, im sure it will be better than the Hoosiers regardless. i have a lot of similar car info on the tire, as far as starting pressures and temps. Mark Anderson and i spoke about the tires , and he just loved them on our same platform. he has gone back and forth with pirellis, yoks, michillis as well as toyos street tires and saw the differences you would expect to see on all the tires. I've even run with mixed tires such as DHs and hoosers, hoosier slicks and hoosier DOTs with nothing feeling feeling suprising. im actually worried about something on the suspension breaking more than anything with the increased grip levels. I will be careful though, and thanks for the advice........again, i wish i had more time to test.

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
That's exactly what I posted a couple of pages ago. Pirelli DH and Michelin are VERY different tires.
im hoping the main difference is that they are FASTER!

Quick Reply: Bittting the bullet and buying slicks for the runoffs. Suggestions for size & Brand?