Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bittting the bullet and buying slicks for the runoffs. Suggestions for size & Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:05 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
That's my plan in T2 and in T1 with same unoptimized car. So much is the driver. Maybe if I have time I'll hit Sonoma for a test day or streetcar trackday but it is 7+ hrs away from me. My 1st race there in June Majors I really sucked!
Over the hill getting light at 2 and 3a waiting for grip haven't figured out how to manage that
That carosel
Those esses
T10's wall
Sometimes I think I should just go fishing...
yes, finding the limits is pretty challenging at Sears. (sonoma) ive been going there for 20 years, so, the track is very familiar. yes, 2 and 3 are a fast combination, with 2 being off camber and yes, you have to be patient and approach it in away that doesn't upset the car. going through 3 and 4 is a challenging part too. blind and you have to trust the car and know where you are going to end up. LOTs of video around. i would watch as much as you can. i did that with willow springs, as 8-9 is something , probably harder than Sears to get right!
Old 08-03-2018, 09:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
The sidewall on the yoks was too soft for my car, but in your sizes they may be fine

for slicks during qualifying it’s pace lap, get up to at 90% speed lap, magic fast lap, come in.
yeah, i think the 280x645s or 300x650 might be big enough to not have those issues, but there are a lot of M3 e46s running the yokes with good luck being just a little lighter than my car (maybe 1-200lbs) its a big purchase and i dont want to get it wrong. i guess if we had someone here that had a vet or a BMW has run the yok or michellin, with the 2900lb weight and 375 hp range, that might be useful to hear of those experiences.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:41 PM
alonge
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What class does your car run? I won the 2014 Runoffs in T2 driving a porsche and i was on A7’s. Ive driven on every major brand slick tire so let me know if I can be of any help. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2018, 09:15 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

HC1>HC2>>HC3>>>HC4. etc Because of this, get some practice on stickers. Not 2HC scrubs, stickers. Otherwise your butt will be calibrated to what scrubs can do and you may not use all of the tire when you sticker up. Yeah I know that’s expensive, but consider what you’re going to spend for the runoff weekend. Don’t compromise yourself by cheating out prior to the event. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:56 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
As we draw closer to this years SCCA national championships, ive come to the realization that i probably wont do one of these races again and should make the car as best as it can be. Tires are pretty important and since my car falls into a class that can run any tire, why not just put on some that really have some bite.
Have you been racing on inferior tires for your class all this time? Why even go out and “compete” against class peers with tires 2sec better than yours? Just don’t see the point. Maybe I’m missing something.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:03 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

Have you been racing on inferior tires for your class all this time? Why even go out and “compete” against class peers with tires 1-2sec better than yours? Just don’t see the point. Maybe I’m missing something.
Mark likes his tires just like he prefers his red wines. About 6-7 years old and about 55 degrees.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:33 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
The sidewall on the yoks was too soft for my car, but in your sizes they may be fine

for slicks during qualifying it’s pace lap, get up to at 90% speed lap, magic fast lap, come in.
+1
Old 08-04-2018, 01:02 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe

HC1>HC2>>HC3>>>HC4. etc Because of this, get some practice on stickers. Not 2HC scrubs, stickers. Otherwise your butt will be calibrated to what scrubs can do and you may not use all of the tire when you sticker up. Yeah I know that’s expensive, but consider what you’re going to spend for the runoff weekend. Don’t compromise yourself by cheating out prior to the event. Ask me how I know.
Words of wisdom.

Sticker up. Early and often. Stickers always makes things better.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe

I have one time, used stickers, but they were A7s. (probably close to DH pirellis , or maybe a second slower) im pretty good at pushing to the edge. and if there is more of an edge, its easy to find with my car. im going to bite the bullet and do it.. if i dont, ill regret it. ill probably run them in the qualifying , a session or two before the race, that way, if i feel i absolutely need more time, i can run a second session. im pretty confident, ill only need one session to familiarize myself.

Originally Posted by alonge
What class does your car run? I won the 2014 Runoffs in T2 driving a porsche and i was on A7’s. Ive driven on every major brand slick tire so let me know if I can be of any help. Good luck!
I run GT2-ST, but then that started to go away.. as a sub class (x-WCGT cars as mine was) so they just classed my car in GT2,which is anything goes for tires. (ST followed world challenge DOT specs) so, GREAT that you have experience. what do you suggest? michelllin, yok, pirelli? pros and cons? i would think as a T2 champ weight and power /weight might be in the same ball park with mine being a little more power. thanks for offering suggestions! love to hear them!

Originally Posted by hf1

Have you been racing on inferior tires for your class all this time? Why even go out and “compete” against class peers with tires 2sec better than yours? Just don’t see the point. Maybe I’m missing something.
hey, thats the age old question. i could ask that of anyone out there on any aspect of their car. because of cost! strictly cost! running stickers, i run 1:36.0 to 1:36.5 at laguna......... my peers are all in the 1:34 to 1:36.5 range (the ones i want to beat ) BUT they are getting faster every year. my car has peaked out a bit. so, if i run 1:37 to 1:38, on older tires, i save $2000 and run with 2-3 other cars in that pack. i still end up at 3rd -5th place, but have a race with the guys that are slower. gone are the days where we all were so close, and the class championship was important. we all just go out and race to have fun now. dont have the money, time or interest , or even see the value anymore. now, if i could win the runnoffs in GT2, certainly i would step up.. but in that class , better bring your GT3 991-2 and a new set of michilins if you want a chance.

Originally Posted by LexVan
Mark likes his tires just like he prefers his red wines. About 6-7 years old and about 55 degrees.
as long as they have natural corks (or saran wrap for the tires)

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+1
VR, when guys that have a LOT of experience, bolt on a set of slicks, stickers etc.. they always go faster. at least if they know what they are doing. as far as Yoks.. tony C is one of THE best chassis and engine tuners in the country. this car has yoks.... its about the same power and weight as my car... runs about 2 seconds faster and has a BOAT load of newer technology. its a 100k car vs my $20k car

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Words of wisdom.

Sticker up. Early and often. Stickers always makes things better.
YES, i agree! ever since i had my first set of stickers in my 20 years of racing last year, I'm hooked. the car did everything well (for my car) and i could focuse on the race! now it is just not as fun to fight the pushy, loose car on used tires!
Old 08-04-2018, 04:04 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

Then no one should race. Face it. Everyone is a loser except the 1 guy who wins. It is still fun to have people around you to race. Believe me new tires are just the tip of the iceberg.

2014 my 1st SCCA Runoffs a big dog in my class had literally stacks of the new Hoosier A7's. The rest of us could not even buy them. We were on A6's. How did that front runner get to test on them to know they were faster than the A6's? Hmmm.....

2017 we get to race the Runoffs at Indy! Who hoo! Two guys in my class did not like there qualifying times. They brought out their "back-up" cars!

You will never win against that if you are a regular amateur racer with a non-automotive job. I like the sport but we all have our priorities.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Then no one should race. Face it. Everyone is a loser except the 1 guy who wins. It is still fun to have people around you to race. Believe me new tires are just the tip of the iceberg.

2014 my 1st SCCA Runoffs a big dog in my class had literally stacks of the new Hoosier A7's. The rest of us could not even buy them. We were on A6's. How did that front runner get to test on them to know they were faster than the A6's? Hmmm.....

2017 we get to race the Runoffs at Indy! Who hoo! Two guys in my class did not like there qualifying times. They brought out their "back-up" cars!

You will never win against that if you are a regular amateur racer with a non-automotive job. I like the sport but we all have our priorities.
i know HUH!!!! why even go out vs a competitor that is 2 sconds faster? well , if this was the case, and thought process, no one woudl race. we would all just stay home. why dont i get that cam.. put on the intake, then make the 200 more hp that the other fast 928s have?? well, that costs an extra $10k, the tires cost an extra $2000 per race weekend, and then they blow transmissions more often. ($3k) and recently , these high strung engines just blew up ( $30k each)............so i think the program im on.. entry fees, and gas and fix what ever breaks on occasion, and try and get on the podium each weekend, is the best program . and if i go to a pro race or national championship.. finish in the mid pack, and beat some much better cars, is not too low of a bar, nor is it too lofty.

its MOSTY about $$$$$ If you want to WIN. .Sure , driver skill has a little to do with it, but just take this case in point. 10 person team, million dollar car , and a 15 year old kid! . ..........doesnt even have his license to drive city streets.. He would put some hurt on ANYONE YOU KNOW in this sport , TODAY!! anywhere!!! why???? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 08-04-2018, 04:20 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
its a 100k car vs my $20k car
Then you're not racing with them, just alongside them -- doing parade laps or DE. Maybe you're racing in the wrong class, then.

My perspective may be biased since I've only raced Spec classes (Skippy MX-5 and PCA SPB), the idea being that the same driver (especially the fastest ones) could drive ALL the cars in the class within 0.5sec lap-time diffs or less. I just don't see the point or fun in "racing" with class peers that have cars which are 2-3sec faster than mine (if driven by the same driver). That's DE -- just doing laps, having fun, and passing without point-bys (wow!) -- not that there's anything wrong with it.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Mark, I know Tony well, from the BMW world. He knows his stuff.

You can't go wrong with either slick IMO. However, I believe the DH will be more consistently near its peak on the Sears Point surface.
Your decision though
Old 08-04-2018, 04:34 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Then you're not racing with them, just alongside them -- doing parade laps or DE. Maybe you're racing in the wrong class, then.

My perspective may be biased since I've only raced Spec classes (Skippy MX-5 and PCA SPB), the idea being that the same driver (especially the fastest ones) could drive ALL the cars in the class within 0.5sec lap-time diffs or less. I just don't see the point or fun in "racing" with class peers that have cars which are 2-3sec faster than mine (if driven by the same driver). That's DE -- just doing laps, having fun, and passing without point-bys (wow!) -- not that there's anything wrong with it.
Why are you being an ***?
Old 08-04-2018, 09:42 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Why are you being an ***?
Maybe that's not it. Maybe he does not race and thinks the racers good enough to post here always win. So HF1 thanks for thinking so highly of us RL racers. OK sorry for the thread drift.

Quick Reply: Bittting the bullet and buying slicks for the runoffs. Suggestions for size & Brand?