Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 11:00 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I'm sure the logic goes something like:

As a paying sponsor, you unlock the ability to post certain marketing messages that a nonsponsor cannot post and the fact that those posts are not permissible for a nonsponsor means they have to go when not a sponsor any more and it would be too much trouble to wade through and delete the posts that would be impermissible for a nonsponsor to post so deleting all the posts is the only workable solution for them.

This has as its core an assumption that there remains residual value to the now former sponsor of those prior posts that wasn't priced into the cost of being a sponsor, and/or a belief that people will game the system by creating lots of posts as a sponsor and then not pay but have their sponsor posts remain hanging on the wall, so to speak.

That logic ignores how message boards work, how communities are built, and pretty much every theory on how marketing works.
That it right there!

And it works - they got you to pay an extra year because of it. But in the long run I think it hurts their business model.

Short-sighted to say the least.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:11 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Short-sighted to say the least.
Kind of like deleting a thread with over 300 members posting over 17,000 posts and nearly three-quarters of a million views. Sorry to say it, but deleting your 1,673 posts means nothing to them. Sorry to hear this. It sucks.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:15 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Deleting old posts is ridiculous! Having access to that info is why people like me are paying members. They don’t even do that for people that get banned or are currently sitting in jail for heinous crimes.

Hope you are able to come back as a “civilian” and private contributor.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:24 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Damn man. Sorry to hear, hopefully they still let you contribute with the new name but please do not delete old posts, necessary for us old 911 guys wanting data.....

guess its time to take a bunch of screen shots....sad.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:45 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Sorry to hear this.
Last data I saw on the advertising data showed RL to be one of the if not most profitable (especially on clicks) auto properties that IB owns. I think that IB may forget the value of RL is created by posters and members. Otherwise, what do you have? Those lame robot posts and email spam I get from RL every now and again? A message forum platform with no content? It would be interesting to see YoY data and where that traffic has headed, I have a suspicion.
The leadership of IB, not sure they know how to create value (well, there is value through acquisition, give them that, PE and shareholders like that, just remember, it's the product, product, product, if you aren't investing in the product, you damn well better be buying the next one to milk)
Definitely knows how to squeeze margin, or the product while providing minimal innovation $.
You're witnessing that now.
Its sad when it impacts great contributors

The good news, there's a big real world out there outside RL.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

This is just crazy. I sent you an email to see if I can help get your name and posts saved.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Not certain I’ve seen posts retroactively deleted unless the member or user was banned.

Sponsorship has many levels, but to have ANY commercial links in your sig line, you have to
pay...

I hope this can be fixed, for sure!
Old 08-02-2018, 01:14 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
I tried Six Speed as a sponsor (also owned by INternet BRands) for maybe 6 months in 2012.
Just curious, how much does it cost to sponsor over there? over here?
Old 08-02-2018, 01:17 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
In 2010 I was paying $1000/yr. They also want to put a credit card on file and charge you monthly or quarterly until you actively cancel the account.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:21 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
On 6 speed we sponsored a forum (big mistake) it was something like $1500 a month. For being a basic sponsor on Rennlist it is something like $200 a month. Six Speed has all the "shiners" and street racers where Rennlist is the real deal.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 08-02-2018, 01:50 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

On 6 speed we sponsored a forum (big mistake) it was something like $1500 a month. For being a basic sponsor on Rennlist it is something like $200 a month. Six Speed has all the "shiners" and street racers where Rennlist is the real deal.
For what it is worth, I found Clark through this site when he was the only one who could solve a brake pad question on a 911 that had several vendors listing the wrong parts/sizes. He responded to a post here asking for help. None of my local dealers knew or cared when I told them the part numbers/sizing were wrong.

Happily referred quite a few customers to Clark over the years.

Part of the value to current sponsors is that people like me use the search feature. If they get rid of the value-add older stuff, there will be less of a reason to come here.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:35 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
In 2010 I was paying $1000/yr.
Originally Posted by Clark
On 6 speed we sponsored a forum (big mistake) it was something like $1500 a month
I always wondered, Thanks!

Six Speed has all the "shiners" and street racers where Rennlist is the real deal.
I remember the dick measuring contest over here that resulted in the birth of 6Speed... To this day (unfortunately) I don't think Chad's engine has turned a wheel?
Old 08-02-2018, 02:40 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

Unfortunately....Jerry is probably right. When I decided to be a site sponsor with Rennlist, I was told I should use a new username because if I decide to stop sponsoring, all my posts I've ever posted would be deleted....I've been using NaroEscape for 15 years now and everyone knows me by that name, so a new user name would be like some new guy, no posts showing up on Rennlist with no history...that didn't sound good for business.

But yes...I risk losing 15 years worth of past posts plus everything going forward. Yeah...really lousy policy.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 08-02-2018, 03:13 PM
IB Nolan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@amso3 Jerry, I sent you an email and will make sure that you and your posts aren't going anywhere.

The rules were established to try and separate the business and personal posts on the site but were never meant to be enforced at the expense of the community.

I'll fight the business side of IB tooth and nail to retain the members who have built this damn place.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:49 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

GOOD NEWS! I have been given a reprieve. Thanks to Matt Romanoski and John Dunkle (RL creator) IB has decided to let me keep my user name and most of my posts. Since I was a "Sponsor" years before they initiated the rule that Sponsors need a special user name for commercial posts and all of the will be deleted when sponsorship ends. Obviously I need to change my signature and I agreed to delete threads I started with some AIM equipment for sale. I'm not getting out of the business, just didn't see "Sponsor" value here. Thanks for all the support here and in PM. You are a great bunch! I will delete this thread later tonight.

Regards

Jerry

Quick Reply: Goodbye from AMSO3