Sponsored by:

PCA Proposed Rule Changes for 2019

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 05:47 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Weight on Door

Not sure how to interpret this part (quoted). I guess cars without windows or frame that means on highest part of the door. (per a previous comment).
But Black numbers on white seems oddly specific. Numbers on the door in a consistent place: OK. Numbers in a readable, contrasting color: OK. Numbers of a consistent size: OK.

But black on white background? Does that mean that a blue car must has a White strip with back letters at the top of the door? That sounds kind of ugly.
Would black numbers with a white outline or white drop shadow work?
With my current livery, maybe this is not an issue.

But when I think about my old solid Mexico blue 997 or others with glorious wraps things get kind of funky. Or what about the Cup car with the all silver wrap?

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
So here is what was provisionally adopted for 2019:
Car weight on car:All cars must display their minimum class weight on the upper part of the driver's door shell in at least 14 point type with black numerals on a white background.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:47 PM
serickson
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone needs to come up with kit to purchase
Old 10-20-2018, 09:16 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Not sure how to interpret this part (quoted). I guess cars without windows or frame that means on highest part of the door. (per a previous comment).
But Black numbers on white seems oddly specific. Numbers on the door in a consistent place: OK. Numbers in a readable, contrasting color: OK. Numbers of a consistent size: OK.

But black on white background? Does that mean that a blue car must has a White strip with back letters at the top of the door? That sounds kind of ugly.
Would black numbers with a white outline or white drop shadow work?
With my current livery, maybe this is not an issue.

But when I think about my old solid Mexico blue 997 or others with glorious wraps things get kind of funky. Or what about the Cup car with the all silver wrap?

Car weight on car:All cars must display their minimum class weight on the upper part of the driver's door shell in at least 14 point type with black numerals on a white background.
Well, we roll pretty fast across those scales.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:19 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,278 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Well, we roll pretty fast across those scales.
Just don't spin the tires - they get upset about that.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:20 AM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts

PCA rule changes.

PCA needs to provide a licensing procedure for an applicant seeking a provisional racing license, who does not have a current, full competition license, but does have prior competition experience.
Why should an applicant interested in PCA racing have to go through NASA, SCCA, POC, IMSA, USCR, BMWCCA or another equivalent sanctioning body, if he wants to race in PCA Club races?

I can't apply for a PCA license because I don't have a current, full competition license and I can't apply to attend the PCA Club Racing school, because I have prior competition experience.

The PCA Racing School should offer a third "route", for experienced racing drivers who aren't current.

LICENSING PROCEDURES

3. The PCA Club Racing License Application will provide for two routes to obtaining a PCA Club Racing License:

4. Applicants with a current Full competition license with current competition experience may apply for a PCA Club Racing
Provisional License. The PCA Club Racing License Application will require documentation of six completed races (e.g.,
‘official’ race results) from the previous twenty‐four months (no 'school' races), and a copy of the current racing license.

5. Applicants without an existing competition license and no prior competition experience may apply to attend the PCA Club
Racing School (Club Racing School). The PCA Club Racing License Application will require that:
A. The applicant must present evidence of having completed twelve or more days of race track driving training and
experience at driver’s education events, time trials, race schools or equivalent events within the past 24 months.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:53 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

^^^ The Race School is basically a ~1 hour meeting in late afternoon of the day before the race, so not very onerous. You then have to do all the practice sessions including the last, which has the 3 practice starts. (or something like that)

It's really not a big deal, so don't fret; with prior racing experience, you can easily go through the motions. The only thing is that you must have an X on your rear bumper for a few events.

It's not a full weekend as would be the BMWCCA school.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:43 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114609048
PCA rule changes.

PCA needs to provide a licensing procedure for an applicant seeking a provisional racing license, who does not have a current, full competition license, but does have prior competition experience.
Why should an applicant interested in PCA racing have to go through NASA, SCCA, POC, IMSA, USCR, BMWCCA or another equivalent sanctioning body, if he wants to race in PCA Club races?

I can't apply for a PCA license because I don't have a current, full competition license and I can't apply to attend the PCA Club Racing school, because I have prior competition experience.

The PCA Racing School should offer a third "route", for experienced racing drivers who aren't current.

LICENSING PROCEDURES

3. The PCA Club Racing License Application will provide for two routes to obtaining a PCA Club Racing License:

4. Applicants with a current Full competition license with current competition experience may apply for a PCA Club Racing
Provisional License. The PCA Club Racing License Application will require documentation of six completed races (e.g.,
‘official’ race results) from the previous twenty‐four months (no 'school' races), and a copy of the current racing license.

5. Applicants without an existing competition license and no prior competition experience may apply to attend the PCA Club
Racing School (Club Racing School). The PCA Club Racing License Application will require that:
A. The applicant must present evidence of having completed twelve or more days of race track driving training and
experience at driver’s education events, time trials, race schools or equivalent events within the past 24 months.
Actually, it’s as easy as giving Susan Shire a call: pcaclubrace@aol.com. I’m sure people would be honored to share the track with you.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by serickson
I bet 90% of the racers will use a simple Sharpie and that will be just fine.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts
Default PCA racing school

Originally Posted by FFaust
^^^ The Race School is basically a ~1 hour meeting in late afternoon of the day before the race, so not very onerous. You then have to do all the practice sessions including the last, which has the 3 practice starts. (or something like that)

It's really not a big deal, so don't fret; with prior racing experience, you can easily go through the motions. The only thing is that you must have an X on your rear bumper for a few events.

It's not a full weekend as would be the BMWCCA school.
The way I read the rules and what I understood from talking with Susan Shire, you can't attend the school if you have "prior competition experience". Susan suggested I go back to SCCA or IMSA, since I have held SCCA, FIA and IMSA licenses. SCCA has a prior experience procedure and IMSA will give me a license, but then I have to race in six sanctioned events, within the last 24 months before coming to PCA. It just seems to make sense that if you want to race with PCA, that PCA should have a school course to get you going, in other words, a third route or licensing procedure for those with competition experience, but no current license. Then you should be able to gain the required experience in PCA events in order to get a provisional license. I believe that someone with prior competition experience would not be a danger to those with current driving experience, nor to those who have come up the DE ladder.

G

LICENSING PROCEDURES

Old 10-21-2018, 04:06 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by serickson
You could do a group buy - this would take care of about 100 cars, so what, about $0.25 each?
Amazon Amazon

Or like Frank mentioned, mailing label, sharpie, done...
Old 10-21-2018, 05:20 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 914 Posts

The way I read the rules and what I understood from talking with Susan Shire, you can't attend the school if you have "prior competition experience". Susan suggested I go back to SCCA or IMSA, since I have held SCCA, FIA and IMSA licenses. SCCA has a prior experience procedure and IMSA will give me a license, but then I have to race in six sanctioned events, within the last 24 months before coming to PCA. It just seems to make sense that if you want to race with PCA, that PCA should have a school course to get you going, in other words, a third route or licensing procedure for those with competition experience, but no current license. Then you should be able to gain the required experience in PCA events in order to get a provisional license. I believe that someone with prior competition experience would not be a danger to those with current driving experience, nor to those who have come up the DE ladder.

G
George:

I'm sure there's an easy solution. Just send a note to Bryan Henderson, head of Club Racing, and explain the situation. PM'd you his email address.

Just try not to embarrass too many of us while running with the X on your bumper.

Nizer
Old 10-21-2018, 05:22 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 914 Posts

And well done PCA on allowing ABS in GTC7. Hopefully makes for fewer incidents.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:23 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,278 Likes on 1,585 Posts

PCA rule changes.

PCA race school is not about knowing how to race but rather learning PCA racing rules which can be different from other organizations.

Five years ago I went to race school at Sebring with a current IMSA driver because he wanted to shake down the car during the PCA race. I'm pretty sure he didn't need to be there to learn how to race.

Its a couple of hours before your rookie race. You'll survive just like all the pro drivers who have done them over the years.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

I bet 90% of the racers will use a simple Sharpie and that will be just fine.
hmmm.... maybe I could make that work.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:12 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I am selling PCA required door weight numbers.

I will provide full service custom installed kits at Sebring 2019.
$10.00 each. Cash only, exact change appreciated.

Also offering a reuseable kit. Good for up to 25 applications.
$50.00 each kit, includes one (1) roll of white duct tape and one (1) black Sharpie.

Quick Reply: PCA Proposed Rule Changes for 2019