Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you had to transport fuel - which gas can?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 12:16 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
Default If you had to transport fuel - which gas can?

Lets say you are towing your car to a track that has no fuel, and you are going to need to refuel. Which gas can would you use? I've seen all sorts of different options, curious what folks think?

I've seen variations of this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...CABEgLamPD_BwE, however it does not look like it is approved for transport or safety so I assume that is out. This one here is "not rated for gasoline" https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpr-3512/overview/.

There are all sorts of the "red" cans which do appear to be approved for transport/safety, some like this one that seem to be built pretty well/fuel fast/etc.: http://eagle-mfg.com/product/Type-II...lex-Spout.aspx.

This one from Summit is rated for gasoline with pretty mixed reviews: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...07-4/overview/

Am I overthinking this? What are folks using/having luck with? Thanks!

Old 07-24-2018, 12:29 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 524 Likes on 280 Posts

Yes, you are overthinking this.
By definition (because our wonderful Congress can't stay out of making laws to protect idiots from themselves) a fuel jug can't be officially called a fuel jug without all kinds of new safety pour and vapor retainer systems on it. they are virtually impossible to actual dispense gas from, but the people in Washington (who don't dispense gas themselves...or at least gasoline...) feel better about themselves because they are saving all of us.

The ones you noted are what everyone uses. We sell Scribner jugs. And yes, they say "not for fuel transportation"...because of this law. But its what everyone uses. This is what we sell, and we personally have 5 for fuel transport...as do most track people:

https://naroescapemotorsports.com/pr...n-utility-jug/

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 07-24-2018, 12:34 PM
CrookedCommie
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a couple of the VP Racing ones. I accidentally dropped my trailer on one. It still holds fuel just fine.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:38 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

On the race team, we have a few from different places. They all are the regular race fuel jubs. I think there is a Scribner, Sunoco, VP, and maybe something else. They work fine. The square ones are better than the round for storage. The markings for gallons is off on most of them too.

Personally, I use a regular gas can from Home Depot or wherever. Fits under a truck bed cover, holds fuel fine. Buy a good funnel and then just take the cap off and it flows like any other.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Cacciatore
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's also a whole bunch of stupid testing that goes with the "safety" measures. I rather have a fuel container you can actually pour out of, and let Darwin's law take care of the people who can't deal with a normal container. In fact, the stupid safety containers are always the ones that actually leak from flimsy/cracked anti-spill contraptions.

Any of those you listed from Summit work just fine.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:53 PM
tc944
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have good luck with these.

http://www.laneautomotive.com/site/c...95&loadord=603
Old 07-24-2018, 12:54 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I use two VP 5 gallon jugs and needed to build a little rack that allows to tilt them to make them fit under the F150 bed cover. My track buddies recommended them to me and I am happy after using them a couple of times.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:55 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

I use one of these to transfer the fuel into the car, just shake it a few times and then walk away.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-24-2018, 01:19 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,275 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I have two VP bottle which are mounted to the tongue of my trailer. Never had a problem. (knock on wood.)
Old 07-24-2018, 01:41 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 524 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by tc944
yes, those are the Scribners we sell
Old 07-24-2018, 01:42 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

A large cooler and 6 scribner jugs fit perfectly across the bed of my F150.

Get red ones--should you have an accident, first responders arriving at the scene will know what's in the jugs.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:20 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

We've got a bunch of Scibner jugs, and they are fine.

If I were buying new ones I'd consider these ones from Hunsaker: https://hunsakerusa.com/collections/...fuel-dump-cans
Old 07-24-2018, 03:29 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Personally, I use a regular gas can from Home Depot or wherever. Fits under a truck bed cover, holds fuel fine. Buy a good funnel and then just take the cap off and it flows like any other.
Originally Posted by Cacciatore
There's also a whole bunch of stupid testing that goes with the "safety" measures. I rather have a fuel container you can actually pour out of, and let Darwin's law take care of the people who can't deal with a normal container. In fact, the stupid safety containers are always the ones that actually leak from flimsy/cracked anti-spill contraptions.
+1

I have a mixture of

and

that I use to transport fuel to the track with. Never a problem. As stated they are an easier fit under the bed cover of my pickup compared to the taller square ones.

Disclaimer
Mine no longer look as pretty as these.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:30 PM
glb0303
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Costco puts 5 gallon cans on sale once or twice a year. They are the same dimensions as the old "Jerry Cans" Easy to store and easy to transport. as for putting the fuel in the car. I like a good long funnel and take the top of the jug. I have had other types of cans and they either flow to slow or eventually develop a leak. At least with the funnel I know why I have gas on my feet from time to time. The funnel never leaks the monkey holding the can may get distracted by a trackside squirrel from time to time.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:55 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
Yes, you are overthinking this.
By definition (because our wonderful Congress can't stay out of making laws to protect idiots from themselves) a fuel jug can't be officially called a fuel jug without all kinds of new safety pour and vapor retainer systems on it. they are virtually impossible to actual dispense gas from, but the people in Washington (who don't dispense gas themselves...or at least gasoline...) feel better about themselves because they are saving all of us.

The ones you noted are what everyone uses. We sell Scribner jugs. And yes, they say "not for fuel transportation"...because of this law. But its what everyone uses. This is what we sell, and we personally have 5 for fuel transport...as do most track people:

https://naroescapemotorsports.com/pr...n-utility-jug/
Awesome - thanks for the feedback everyone!

Quick Reply: If you had to transport fuel - which gas can?