Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simpson Hybrid S "HANS" device questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 10:38 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts
Default Simpson Hybrid S "HANS" device questions...

So, thinking about picking one of these up because they work with "regular" 3 point belts. This past Saturday was the first time in almost a decade that I was on track with a car that didn't have race seats, 6 point harnesses and a rollbar. It felt really strange having to brace myself against the center console and the drivers door.More importantly though, since I was only wearing the factory 3 point belt, I couldn't wear my HANS device. I also do some instruction with NASA and most of the students cars only have 3 point belts as well.So it looks like this Simpson piece will work in any car, regardless of what harness/belt arrangement they have. Anyone using one? What can you tell me about it? Comfortable? Run true to size? Best place to order?
The following users liked this post:
zedcat (01-09-2020)
Old 07-23-2018, 10:49 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes, I use one because I only have 3 point harness. Its relatively simple, literally just tight around the body and connects to back of helmet. Think of it like fusing your spine to your head.
The following users liked this post:
txhokie4life (01-20-2020)
Old 07-23-2018, 10:49 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

I purchased mine a few weeks ago at Wine Country Motorsport because they are at Sebring where I could try one on and near my house in Jupiter FL. Finding a size that fits in stock is the trick. At two stores I was only able to try large and small to deduce medium would fit. Nice people and discounted the price below list. The S has a fairly small adjustment range to I would recommend trying one first or be prepared to exchange for size. As an instructor sitting in the right seat with a 3 point it just makes sense to buy one.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:57 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my Simpson HybridS.

It looks clunky, like an instrument of torture, but happily found it far, far more comfortable than expected.It is actually more comfortable than my comparably priced HANS pro device.

I have driven with it in my own harness, Students w harness /race seats, and most importantly, in instructing with students who have three point restraints.

The standard sizing can easily be purchased through the usual outlets including TmI racing, Apex performance, OGracing and others. For ladies they offer custom sizing, so I contacted Simpson directly. With custom fitting at no extra charge, it was delivered to my home within 3 days.

Those of us who completed MSF trainer certification Level 2 were given a 20% discount coupon which takes $200 off the tab. I didn't need mine so I gave it away. If you ask around you might find one.

100% recommended.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:02 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

OK, that all sounds great. Luckily there is a Wine Country Motorsports retail shop in town here so I'll head on over there and see if I can try one on.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:26 PM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah I definitely love my Hybrid Pro. I never could get used to the Hans, would make my shoulder / traps get bruises. I mostly race with the Simpson, but I also keep it on for street cars too. I'm not certain how helpful it would be in a crash using a 3 point, but it's better than not having it. Just lock your seatbelt real tight and I'm sure it would help some.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:42 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I use one that is a couple of years old and at the time it was the only variant that was approved use with for 3-point belts; this was the one with the FIA sticker. I have a size M and I'm 6'1"/200lbs/42" chest so I'm right in the middle of the range for that size and it fits well. I like it and would certainly recommend it.

I've used it in a variety of cars with 6-point and 3-point harnesses, full race seats, Porsche LWB and normal street seats. It's been comfortable for me in all cases so far. I was initially a bit alarmed that the chest strap that you clip was gapping a lot in the middle of my back. I even sent in a picture to customer support but they say that's normal and perfectly safe -- so don't worry if the chest strap gaps a bit at the back, so long as the clip is snug at the front you are good to go.

For use with 6 point harnesses I think this might even be better than a regular HANS -- or at least perhaps I should say it seems more locked in -- because there are straps with rings that you clip into the 6-point buckle at the place where the harness shoulder belts clip in...the whole thing feels more stable since those straps prevent the device from wandering at all.

Combine that with the notion that there's some margin of protection added in a 3-point set up compared to using nothing at all and I think the Hybrid, to me anyway, seems like a no-brainer since the costs are not appreciably different. That said it doesn't feel anywhere near as planted on you when using 3-point belts -- perhaps the least you could say is that while it's not like the system of harness and HANS, 3-point plus Hybrid has to be better than 3-point alone. Seems like there really isn't anyone willing to quantify how much benefit there is for the Hybrid with 3-points beyond "there is some"; at least not that I've seen.

Oh and I believe you can actually rent one from the Motorsport Safety Foundation if you want to try it before buying.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:19 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,275 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Does PCA Club Racing allow these instead of a HANS device?
Old 07-23-2018, 11:39 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Does PCA Club Racing allow these instead of a HANS device?
Yes.
The regs only state it must be a head and neck safety device, doesn't specify which one or style.
Make sure that whichever one you buy it has the appropriate safety cert sticker(s)
Old 07-24-2018, 02:12 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Do these scratch up street car seats like a HANS does?
Old 07-24-2018, 08:39 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Not in my limited experience. We had to buy one at work so I could support Ford at the race track. The harness did not harm the Recaro seats in a Focus RS, nor did it harm the fancy leather seats in a Lincoln Continental. I think a few others have used it for track testing in the new Buick Regal GS as well. No reported issues with seats. Most of these were single day events, or at most a couple days over the course of a week. I don't know what might happen running multiple events a year and multiple years. Still, all the edges are rounded and smooth. There is nothing to cut into a seat.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:57 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Good discussion on the Hybrid. I just ordered a Simpson Hybrid S and took advantage of the 20% off from Wine Country Motorsports. I wonder if HPDE groups may start requiring them in the future? I used a Hans in other cars with harnesses but my Porsche only has the three point so this has got to be better than nothing.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:45 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by MaynardZed
I'm not certain how helpful it would be in a crash using a 3 point, but it's better than not having it. Just lock your seatbelt real tight and I'm sure it would help some.
According to Sheri Luft the NASCAR team support rep for Simpson that I bought my Hybrid S from using a PCA "group buy" discount, testing showed the Hybrid S when used with a 3-point belt provides 60% of the protection a classic HANS device provides in direct head-on impact conditions. Interestingly though, their testing also showed that in oblique 45 degree angular head-on impacts, the Hybrid S and other Hybrid systems with the extra strap on each side provided superior protection compared to the classic HANS device that only has one strap on each side. She said several NASCAR drivers have converted to the Hybrid units that have the two straps per side for this reason.

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
The Hybrid S version currently being sold by Simpson is the second generation that had a change to the upper back of the unit to minimize scuffing of seat surfaces. I don't have any scratches on the 14-way seats in my 981 Boxster S and I've done 14 track days with it.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:15 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A buddy recently got one of these setups, looks a little uncomfortable but he tells me once fitted properly it is not a problem at all. I will likely go this route soon
Old 11-27-2018, 01:37 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 69 Posts

I used to have one of these. In my car (with leather seats), I found that I slid left and right a lot more in my seat because the carbon fiber spine simply slid across the leather. You don’t have the abrasive material of your clothing sticking you to the seat. I also had to cover the little plastic screw brackets with double sided tape/felt so they wouldn’t scratch the seat.

I recorded this movement. At 10 seconds into the video, you can see how much I slide in the seat. I have to reposition myself because I don’t have any way to stop the “slippery” cf spine from sliding on the leather. Something to consider. You may not have this issue if you have seats with Alcantara inserts.

Quick Reply: Simpson Hybrid S "HANS" device questions...