Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simpson Hybrid S "HANS" device questions...

Old 11-27-2018, 02:38 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think you need a H&N with a 3 point. The 3 point allows your upper body free movement when it locks up so your head doesn't snap forward with your torso restrained like with a race harness. You will also scratch the hell out of any badging you might have on the seat if you don't put some velcro or something on it.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:26 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I don't think you need a H&N with a 3 point. The 3 point allows your upper body free movement when it locks up so your head doesn't snap forward with your torso restrained like with a race harness. You will also scratch the hell out of any badging you might have on the seat if you don't put some velcro or something on it.
No sir, simple physics and physiology disagree with what you think. You are far safer with a Hybrid S when wearing a 3-point compared to only wearing the 3-point. One of our senior PCA instructors at a DE earlier this year was showing a couple of in-car videos of track incidents that will make this clear. Ideally you will have a proper race seat with a halo for side-to-side movement restriction, a 5/6 point harness, and a HANS. But if all you have is a 3-point, wearing a 3-point approved HANS like the Simpson Hybrid S is far, far, safer for your brain and your neck. There really is no point discussing it, the testing performed by Simpson and video backs it up.

Will the Hybrid S scuff your seat? Maybe, but it hasn't affected mine at all (14-way OEM Porsche seat). Does the Hybrid S make you more likely to slide around? Maybe, but I detected no difference when I started wearing the Hybrid S in my car after doing quite a few DEs without wearing it.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:15 AM
ALE
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

My wife, daughter and I have been using these for two seasons. For me it is completely comfortable; it's less comfortable for my wife and daughter. They are both lean. That said, we wear these for safety.
Linda @ Apex did us right on these and was super helpful with fitting. Apex brings their mobile store to many track events. I contacted them in advance and they had several sizes to try on. Linda spent time with us to get the fit right and make them comfortable.
I can't imagine instructing without one now.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:31 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
No sir, simple physics and physiology disagree with what you think. You are far safer with a Hybrid S when wearing a 3-point compared to only wearing the 3-point. One of our senior PCA instructors at a DE earlier this year was showing a couple of in-car videos of track incidents that will make this clear. Ideally you will have a proper race seat with a halo for side-to-side movement restriction, a 5/6 point harness, and a HANS. But if all you have is a 3-point, wearing a 3-point approved HANS like the Simpson Hybrid S is far, far, safer for your brain and your neck. There really is no point discussing it, the testing performed by Simpson and video backs it up.

Will the Hybrid S scuff your seat? Maybe, but it hasn't affected mine at all (14-way OEM Porsche seat). Does the Hybrid S make you more likely to slide around? Maybe, but I detected no difference when I started wearing the Hybrid S in my car after doing quite a few DEs without wearing it.

This question has been asked in many forums as well as as an online webinar with Simpson and they never actually firmly gave the answer that you gave. Watch some slow motion video of an impact with a 3 point, the head moves together with the torso. I'd love to see the video of Simpson testing showing otherwise.

I have never heard of a single BSF injury/death from someone wearing a helmet with a 3 point without a head and neck device.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:44 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

This question has been asked in many forums as well as as an online webinar with Simpson and they never actually firmly gave the answer that you gave. Watch some slow motion video of an impact with a 3 point, the head moves together with the torso. I'd love to see the video of Simpson testing showing otherwise.

I have never heard of a single BSF injury/death from someone wearing a helmet with a 3 point without a head and neck device.
The right people from Simpson must not have been on that webinar. Contact Sheri Luft at Simpson if you want to hear it from the horse's mouth. I can't believe you believe a 3-point belt is somehow able to prevent spinal injury from a frontal impact. Good luck.

Edit: P.S. Keep in mind also that airbags are only good for the first impact that triggers them. Plenty of track mishaps result in multiple impacts.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:06 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This should provide all the information to see that the Hybrid works to prevent neck injury
https://simpsonraceproducts.com/hybr...lt-compatible/
Old 12-30-2019, 02:08 PM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

I would like to pick up one of these before spring, I really do not want to pay full price, anyone know who is offering the best discount, or possibly a lightly used one.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:11 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Last edited by CarreraFahrer; 01-10-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:31 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Love the Hybrid and love the HANS.
Hans is always on when the car has proper belts, but I wont get into a street car without the Simpson. As other has said, they are actually way more comfortable than one might think!
Old 12-31-2019, 10:09 AM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
I'm going to sell mine. I used it for three track days. If anyone is interested please send me a message with you cell number.
sent you a message
Old 12-31-2019, 02:15 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Here's a very interesting podcast where Ross Bentley interviews the person who designed the Hybrid S.

https://player.fm/series/speed-secre...u-need-to-know

Last edited by okie981; 12-31-2019 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-02-2020, 09:26 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Your neck is not designed to manage the increased weight of a helmet.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:40 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Just using this thread as another opportunity to post this video. Proper real-world example of just how good these devices are!

The following users liked this post:
phefner (08-31-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 02:05 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 162 Posts

Wow, that video is amazing... very obvious but still it is very clear in that video.

Im trying to figure out if i were to grab the simpson, hans / stilo, or Schroth device... i plan to only use with 6-points.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:00 PM
roadie13
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by M3the01
Wow, that video is amazing... very obvious but still it is very clear in that video.

Im trying to figure out if i were to grab the simpson, hans / stilo, or Schroth device... i plan to only use with 6-points.
If you are only going to use with 6-points then I'd recommend to have a look at necksgen devices as well. Very neat design
and release mechanism.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Simpson Hybrid S "HANS" device questions...