Sponsored by:

New Mercedes Deal for Hamilton

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 06:57 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
My impression is that Bottas was faster initially, but then Hamilton was faster once his tires warmed up. Team orders seemed to come well after Hamilton had already pulled away.

Sucks for Vettel, he had it right in the palm of his hand. Hamilton did a good job, but also lucked out with the weather cooperating with the strategy. If the rain had been harder, it would have been game over for Hamilton.
Everything you say I agree with, and I’ll add this:

Bottas could have passed Lewis when LH’s tyres were cold, no doubt; but for what ends? There is no way Bottas is going to win the WDC, he simply doesn’t have the talent or ‘killer instinct’. It’s going to be either LH or SV, unless something truly crazy happens, so MB obviously went with their best driver winning the race for max points. If Bottas had been allowed to pass, it would have placed LH in jeopardy of being passed by Kimi and perhaps even Verstappen, and not gaining a really good advantage over SV points wise; this win might well be vital at the end of the season. Lastly, if Bottas and Kimi had passed LH instead of Bottas holding Kimi up, there’s a damn good chance that Kimi might have won the race by passing Bottas; Bottas doesn’t have the ***** to hold someone like Kimi off.

Anyway I thought it was the best race of the season, and highly enjoyable. Last thing: Lewis please lose the corn rolls! lol

Bish
Old 07-22-2018, 08:00 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,780 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Last thing: Lewis please lose the corn rolls! lol

SO agreed! The gangsta look just doesn't work for him in the F1 paddock.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:49 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21

Why are you making it personal — you come off like a a$$hat. If you want to be a Lewis ball washer you can get in line behind the FIA who should have penalized him for getting out of his car on a hot track yesterday and then for going across the pit lane today. But the FIA let both go. You have your day today, they’ll be others...

You need to take a quick peek in the mirror. With all the complaining you do about Lewis, you'd think he took your girl or something. Get over it. You had to eat your words today, suck it up like a man. We all have our days. Just quit making excuses and whining. Game over.

Some of you guys take your bench racing a bit to serious.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:49 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,272 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Why are you making it personal — you come off like a a$$hat. If you want to be a Lewis ball washer you can get in line behind the FIA who should have penalized him for getting out of his car on a hot track yesterday and then for going across the pit lane today. But the FIA let both go. You have your day today, they’ll be others...

I can see overlooking getting out of the car on a hot track (sort of) but FIA always treats pit lane violations very seriously - I didn't even see a notice of an investigation.

Recognizing someone's talent but thinking they are an a$$hat is not jealousy. Hammy is gracious when he wins and normally a spoiled brat when things aren't going his way.

Is he getting better with age? Marginally. But there is hope.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:19 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,894 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I can see overlooking getting out of the car on a hot track (sort of) but FIA always treats pit lane violations very seriously - I didn't even see a notice of an investigation.
It was never on screen but after the race, they pulled Hamilton and the Mercedes brass into the FIA stewards office. All parties agreed that Hamilton broke the rule but because they admitted fault, only a reprimand was issued... no mention of Hamilton pushing his car on a hot track either after Saturday... bias IMO. Kimi broke the same rule in 2016 and got a 5 second. Massa broke the same rule a few years back and got a stop and go penalty...
Old 07-23-2018, 01:33 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

perhaps $52m doesn’t mean anything to MB but Alonso in that Merc would be unbeatable. Alonso isn’t in racing for the money anymore and is motivated to “just win” and his contract is up with McLaren. If I’’m a big wig at MB, I want to win with different drivers to showcase the car is the star... think about the run MB would have with 3 different WDC in Hamilton, Rosberg and Alonso!
Can you point to any data that would support that Alonso would be unbeatable. Last I checked when Hamilton showed up as a Rookie he went head to head with Alonso in the same car and tied him in the drivers title. Hamilton has gotten better since then. Alonso? He isn't the same driver now as he was then.

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Fvck Hamilton. Because the Mercedes has been so dominant, he's only had to beat a single teammate the past 5 years and not the entire field. W hen he lost to Rosberg, he was a prima dona the entire 2016 season even accusing the team of purposely making his car less reliable!!?!?! Who the F says that to their own team after he's won 3 WDC? Now that he has to race 1 guy from another team (because Bottas isn't a threat), he's again losing his mind... He's weak mentally and overrated. 90% of the grid would have won in that Mercedes over the past 5 years. He has to work for it now.
It's not like they took his entire pit team and gave them to Rosberg or anything.......

It was never on screen but after the race, they pulled Hamilton and the Mercedes brass into the FIA stewards office. All parties agreed that Hamilton broke the rule but because they admitted fault, only a reprimand was issued... no mention of Hamilton pushing his car on a hot track either after Saturday... bias IMO. Kimi broke the same rule in 2016 and got a 5 second. Massa broke the same rule a few years back and got a stop and go penalty...

That race in Baku was different. They had specifically told the drivers not to do what Kimi had done.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:41 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

1. I believe Alonso and Lewis tied in points in 2007 with favoritism from Ron Dennis towards his star rookie driver.

2. So you're saying that the crew is what will determine the WDC, not the driver? Got it. That doesn't explain the accusation that he felt his team was purposely sabatoging his car...

3. If you're going to have a rule but not enforce it, as was the case yesterday, why have it in the first place? Get rid of it
Old 07-23-2018, 01:59 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,272 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
That race in Baku was different. They had specifically told the drivers not to do what Kimi had done.
Kimi used pit lane to make a pass when told in advance it was not allowed so I agree that it was much different for Hammy. Safety car, obvious problem with radio communication, etc. gave the stewards the reason not to give him a time penalty.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:24 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
1. I believe Alonso and Lewis tied in points in 2007 with favoritism from Ron Dennis towards his star rookie driver.

2. So you're saying that the crew is what will determine the WDC, not the driver? Got it. That doesn't explain the accusation that he felt his team was purposely sabatoging his car...

3. If you're going to have a rule but not enforce it, as was the case yesterday, why have it in the first place? Get rid of it
1. But but but but but Hamilton haters/Alonso lovers will grasp at anything to try and undermine actual on course and same care comparisons........ Stop it. Your favoritism comment is tabloid rumor level of discussion.

2. I never said the crew was sabotaging his car. But giving a reason why a kid might think every bad bit of luck had hit his team. IIRC Hamilton was the one who had more mechanical problems with his car than Rosberg as well that year. Again, you are letting blind hatred overlook anything to the contrary of your opinion.

3. They reprimanded him. That is an enforcement. And if you compare that to the penalty someone receives for punting the WDC leader (10 seconds) to last place it is right in line with what the FIA is doing. They are being consistent.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:26 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,780 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Applying rules isn't generally as simple as 'applying rules'. Everything situation is somewhat unique, so people have to use some judgment to determine how the rules should be applied in each case. Even if I strongly disagreed with the stewards in this case (not saying that I do or don't), I wouldn't necessarily say they were 'wrong', I would just say I strongly disagree.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:36 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's play a new game. Let's start with the drivers on the grid that CANNOT win in the Mercedes. I'll go first: Lance Stroll. Your turn.
Bottas ... not because he is not talented. No because he simply will be told to let Lewis through and/or be told not to pass Lewis. Of course the same can be said about the Ice Man @ Ferrari.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:42 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
2. I never said the crew was sabotaging his car. But giving a reason why a kid might think every bad bit of luck had hit his team. IIRC Hamilton was the one who had more mechanical problems with his car than Rosberg as well that year. Again, you are letting blind hatred overlook anything to the contrary of your opinion.

3. They reprimanded him. That is an enforcement. And if you compare that to the penalty someone receives for punting the WDC leader (10 seconds) to last place it is right in line with what the FIA is doing. They are being consistent.
LOL, you've got to be joking right? You didn't say he was sabataging his car, but Lewis did!! and you refer to him as kid??? It was 2016, he was 31 years old... it's time to grow up, these things happen in racing, you have your good day and bad. I agree he had more mechanical issues than Rosberg that year, but does that give the guy who had won 3 previous titles, 2 with Mercedes license to throw serious accusations at the team? I guess if you truly believe a 31 year old is a "kid" as you call him, perhaps it does... to each his own.

3. Both Toto Wolf and LH suggested that Ferrari were hitting the Mercs and I agree that Kimi was properly penalized for hitting Lewis. But 2 races before that, Vettel hit Bottas and compromised their races. Why would a WDC contender hit the #2 driver on purpose? Makes no sense in taking yourself out of the championship race with a non-contender. Again, both Hamilton and Wolf need to be more measured with their accusations toward their competitors. It's one thing for us to moan and complain on a car forum, but they're representing an entire brand.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:00 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Lewis can be a pain in the ***, but as a tennis fan it was cool to see him sitting with Serena's group at Wimbledon (along with Tiger Woods)........

Can't deny his greatness as a driver, and he's a worldly guy......Mercedes doesn't HAVE to pay him that much, but they must feel he's worth it. These days it's endemic to all sports. Just a matter of time before you see $400-500m contracts in baseball. Ronaldo just signed with Juventus for 4yrs @ $35m per. And none of these other athletes are assuming the risk that an F1 driver does (though I wouldn't want to see a 100mph fastball coming at my head )

As an aside, there's a really good analysis by a former race engineer of Lewis' driving style in the latest F1 Racing--I really got into it. It's technical, but not overly so i.e. someone like me can understand it.....definitely worth a trip to B&N

Gary
Perfect trio, prima donna, has been womanizer that can't close watching someone who once threatened to murder a line judge and did the crip walk on center court.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:11 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,894 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Aside from Jacque’s opinion, I’m feel vindicated to read that Toto Wolff readily admits that they (Mercedes & Hamilton) are trying to “create stories, controversies and polarizing stances”. Unusual for a team boss of a major international brand as iconic as Mercedes-Benz as they typically let their results do the talking for them. New age social media marketing I guess... but it now makes sense why they deliberately accused Ferrari and Vettel of incompetence or purposefully hitting them

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-...n=awdailydrive

Old 07-27-2018, 01:45 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Hamilton gets paid $52millon/year because he is the LeBron James, Tom Brady, etc of F1. Plan and simple. Hamilton's value to Mercedes isn't simply his winning percentage, podiums and World Championships (of which he has A LOT) but his marketing appeal and role as a strong positive brand ambassador! The man is probably worth much more than $52 million / year to Mercedes. Anyone who thinks that Ferrari wouldn't entertain adding Hamilton as a driver, if he was truly available, doesn't know F1.

Quick Reply: New Mercedes Deal for Hamilton