Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advanced driver first day in 991.1 Porsche, turn TC off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 03:06 AM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Advanced driver first day in 991.1 Porsche, turn TC off?

I’m a long time BMW owner and club racer (GTS3 in an E36). I recently traded in my M4 and acquired my “dream” Porsche, a 2016 GTS in manual. I’m Going to take the 911 to an early morning track day this Saturday and was wondering what settings are typical for experienced Porsche trackers? Is the Porsche TC that good that most leave it on? The TC on BMW is total garbage (intrudes too much), so I’ve always run with it totally off.

I havent had time to do much with the Porsche, so it is completely stock. I hope to have time Friday evening to at least flush the brake fluid with fresh SRF. Finally got all the tools to pull these CL wheels off, lol!
Old 07-17-2018, 03:12 AM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

I have a track buddy that has been killing it in time trials with his 991.1 GT3 (track records, etc.), and he keeps some sort of TC on his GT3. Is the GT3 TC system superior to the Carrera? Seems like it would be?
Old 07-17-2018, 03:35 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Leave it on first.
Gt3 can set psm and tc supposedly system is calibrated differently
psm is full stability
tc is basically rear wheel spin.
The system is good and on the 991 cars really good but you’ll feel it near limit.
If you are running up against it a lot it will wear rear brakes faster
Old 07-17-2018, 09:14 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

There's no harm in starting out with the TC on and then if you're feeling it to turn it off later. And if this is your first tracking with a rear engine car there's all the more reason to start conservatively.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:11 AM
Feuerbach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not nearly as intrusive as the BMW where you will immediately fight the TC as an advanced driver... The difference between TC on/off my first and only session on track in the 991.1 was minimal.

So, I would suggest leaving it on for a few... laps/sessions/days as you prefer coming from the BMW TC, it won't frustrate you or waste the session.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:46 PM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Good advice, all. First day on the track with the 991.1 was a success. 100% stock down to the really low OEM front pads that I didn't have time to change. I was in the upper half of advanced group lap time wise. The TC on the Porsche is amazing, and I think I only "felt" it intrude once even tough it imperceptibly was saving me many other times I'm sure. There was a bit of rain and dust and I was still 1-2 seconds faster in it, than my old M4 with pads and tires.

My old M4 on same track. Lots of work with TC fully off!
Old 07-22-2018, 08:15 AM
931guru
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts

PSM stands for "Please Save Me."

Leave it on until you can afford to pay for the accident.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:57 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Congrats on the new ride! 911 for the win!!

I only watched a few seconds of the video, but can you say shuffle steer! And I saw a few spots where it looked like you're sawing the wheel and also tossing the car side-to-side. There appears to be a bunch of free time just from smoothing out your driving. Maybe the video was just for sh*ts and giggles, but it looks like it wouldn't hurt to get someone in the right seat for a bit to get some of the free time back.

The radio seems to work.

-td
Old 07-22-2018, 11:37 AM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by himself
Congrats on the new ride! 911 for the win!!

I only watched a few seconds of the video, but can you say shuffle steer! And I saw a few spots where it looked like you're sawing the wheel and also tossing the car side-to-side. There appears to be a bunch of free time just from smoothing out your driving. Maybe the video was just for sh*ts and giggles, but it looks like it wouldn't hurt to get someone in the right seat for a bit to get some of the free time back.

The radio seems to work.

-td
Thanks!

It was just a DE to get a feel for the car, so yes, I was hooning around a bit. You're right though. It's never a bad idea to get some instruction. I may have gotten sloppy over the last few years just doing W2W racing, which doesn't allow in car instructors.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I’ve never turned it off, or thought I could go faster with it off on any track.
Just in case there’s fluids, it’s nice insurance to have..
Old 07-22-2018, 05:49 PM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I’ve never turned it off, or thought I could go faster with it off on any track.
Just in case there’s fluids, it’s nice insurance to have..
Yeah I can see why now. It still lets you slide, when it intrudes you don’t even feel it.

I’m sure I’ll try with it off at some point, but will get track day insurance for some piece of mind on that day.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

It’s not a racecar but it goes racecar speeds.
i should have the full CS cage but Porsche isn’t interested in our safety on track here in the US.
So rollbar, harness, Hans, SC and track Insurance is the best we can do besides driving 9.99/10th.

Quick Reply: Advanced driver first day in 991.1 Porsche, turn TC off?