Sponsored by:

firewall sealing

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 12:37 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts
Default firewall sealing

I am taking content out of a street car as it becomes a dedicated racer. With the heater core, etc gone, there are holes in the front firewall needing filling. Round plugs (from Porsche) will work in many places and are cheap enough, but other holes will require fab'ing some simple rectangular (etc.) lids, thinking thin aluminum. Looking for recommendation as to how to best gasket the aluminum lids -- is there a good, flexible, chemical-resistant sealant most in favor? Or a tape-like solid gasket that can be used? I notice Porsche has a sealant in their parts diagrams, 999 915 337 40, but am unsure of its qualities, can't pin down the original product. Cheers,
Old 07-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I helped a friend on his SPB we used aluminum with pop rivets. No sealer used.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:47 PM
CL944135I
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aluminum with rivets or screws works well and I use a seam sealer available from any auto parts place or even order it online from Eastwood or a similar company. You do not want fumes getting from the engine bay into the car, I would also only use plastic plugs for small holes as fire will go through them very quickly.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I don't know brands, but expect SEM, to have structural body adhesives. You could simply glue the patches in. If you want ghetto cheap, I'm sure JB Weld would do it too.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:08 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I just looked at this the other day for my SPB - under the PCA rules, firewall openings need to covered with metal covers that are mechanically fastened (unless there is an OEM non-metal cover). Adhesives are expressly prohibited. I think screws / rivets are probably the most common.

-td
Old 07-13-2018, 03:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by himself
I just looked at this the other day for my SPB - under the PCA rules, firewall openings need to covered with metal covers that are mechanically fastened (unless there is an OEM non-metal cover). Adhesives are expressly prohibited. I think screws / rivets are probably the most common.

-td
Interesting. I like the Seals It products if something is going through. For panels mechanically fastened, I like using Rivnuts instead of sheetmetal screws.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:38 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by himself

-td
fixed plugs because glues melt in fire the whole point of a firewall!
Old 07-13-2018, 05:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
fixed plugs because glues melt in fire the whole point of a firewall!
3M and others offer adhesives that can deal with the temps, but it would be impossible for tech to know if it's the good stuff or junk adhesive. Good point.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:15 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Thank you everyone for the feedback and info. If I had been less cloth-headed, I would have remembered to check with my Aircraft Spruce catalog before posting here! My take is that, per the rule book, mechanical fasteners (screws, pop rivets) are needed to make sure the lid stays in place. To Matt's point, an adhesive gasket or sealant will ensure that fumes and liquids don't enter the cabin. So do both: fasteners to retainer, tape to seal. ASSC has an inexpensive Zircoflex double-sided tape that appears to be a good choice for sealing; there are also liquid firewall sealants available from them and other sources. ASSC also has several different stainless steel sheet metal products they label as "firewall sheet," as well as aluminum. Will give them a try.

Good points also about rubber / plastic melting in flame. I'll stay clear of them as much as possible, may resort to a fire-resistant liquid sealant if there are existing pass-throughs needing attention. Cheers,
Old 07-14-2018, 12:52 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This...... https://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-ST...3992/207077797
Old 07-14-2018, 01:17 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Chad, thank you!
Old 07-15-2018, 08:52 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

If you have the engine out weld your covers in place.

Quick Reply: firewall sealing