Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Decision

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 02:12 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I ran Pilot Supersports on my 997, and was more than happy with the wear and consistency of grip. Worked well in the wet, and didn't melt in the dry. I got about 18 track days out of them.
I've now built a dedicated HPDE car (E46) and am running Hankook RS4s. They were strongly recommended as a good durable track-oriented tire. In dry conditions, they will slide and communicate if pushed too hard, and seem to have worn well for the first two events. Time will tell. I cannot offer any comments regarding wet performance as it's not rained on my track days. They felt OK driving home in the wet, but I was taking it steadily.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:12 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Lots of good comments in here. I'm trying to pick out new tires myself for a 981S on 18x10 18x9, ideally 245/40/18 275/40/18 but there are not a ton I love in that sizing. RS4 fits the bill, but I've never tried them. RE71 are awesome, but only come in 255/35/18 and 275/35/18 for my application, which would make diameter 7% smaller than stock which may jack up my ABS or other stuff. May give RS4 a swing.

For me personally, the PS2's and PSS get a little too greasy too quickly.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:31 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Lots of good comments in here. I'm trying to pick out new tires myself for a 981S on 18x10 18x9, ideally 245/40/18 275/40/18 but there are not a ton I love in that sizing. RS4 fits the bill, but I've never tried them. RE71 are awesome, but only come in 255/35/18 and 275/35/18 for my application, which would make diameter 7% smaller than stock which may jack up my ABS or other stuff. May give RS4 a swing.

For me personally, the PS2's and PSS get a little too greasy too quickly.
The RE 71's would be great. I ran that size, they stick like velcro; too bad I got a defective set of wheels that didn't hold true (Waiting on the replacements). No issues with ABS.
The ABS issue is overblown. If you research the threads, some guys have even gone to a square set up and ABS was fine.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:23 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
The RE 71's would be great. I ran that size, they stick like velcro; too bad I got a defective set of wheels that didn't hold true (Waiting on the replacements). No issues with ABS.
The ABS issue is overblown. If you research the threads, some guys have even gone to a square set up and ABS was fine.
Interesting, thanks. I guess ride height may be an issue too, but my bumper cover is jacked up anyway from track use and the prior owner.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:07 AM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

[QUOTE=Matt Lane;15135792]I'd really recommend staying on street tires for absolutely as long as possible. Just off the top of my head:

1. They talk to you and will let you audibly and tractionally know what you and the your car are doing.
2,. They have a grip level more appropriate to a street car suspension. Even then, you will eventually exceed you alignment's capacity to keep them from roasting the outside - and stickier tires will only make that worse. This is usually the most overlooked part of the equation - more grip creates a host of issues, complications and compromises (thousands and thousands of dollars worth). Really.
3. It's DE - more tire won't make you a better driver, probably the opposite.
4. If you do about 8 days on track a year on a dual use car, you'd honestly be needlessly complicating your life with extra wheels, etc.
5. A good street tire will have good wet performance, at least for a while, if that matters to you. Here we get some wet track from time to time and it's good to be able to learn with the reduced traction - but you'll need good street tires with proper tread to do that.

The Michelins (new 4S, or outgoing SuperSport) are outstanding, quality tires. The new Conti Extreme Contact is a close (and better priced) copy of the latter. The Michelins are probably the best you can buy, and interestingly, a lot ligher than similar tires which actually makes a difference. I am talking pounds per corner, not ounces.

I would get a set of the above and not think twice. I am running Michelin SS on my GT3 when weather's bad and sometimes in the dry when it's not convenient to switch wheels. Trust me, they are FINE

Cheers

Matt

^^^^^^^
THIS !!
Old 07-24-2018, 01:25 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

What do folks think about NT01 as a street/track tire? I know it's great on track, but can it survive a few thousand street miles to/from tracks also (maybe 3-5k miles?)
Old 07-24-2018, 01:49 PM
CrookedCommie
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to run S-04's at IMS when my track car was down and I took the daily beater. They were better than all-seasons. Surprised anybody in this thread thinks they are a good track-able street tire. As was mentioned, if you aren't squealing these rollers in every turn, you need to stay on them.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:19 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do folks think about NT01 as a street/track tire? I know it's great on track, but can it survive a few thousand street miles to/from tracks also (maybe 3-5k miles?)
Probably not the best. I'd be okay driving on the street RARELY - but they will wear out unnecessarily fast. And... if it rains... have fun. Not as bad as full slicks - but that's about it.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:33 PM
MC129
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

A lot of great points made here about the advantages of initially staying on street tires while you are learning.

Last edited by MC129; 04-17-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:35 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
Probably not the best. I'd be okay driving on the street RARELY - but they will wear out unnecessarily fast. And... if it rains... have fun. Not as bad as full slicks - but that's about it.
+1 I instructed in a car on NT01s in the rain this past weekend and I told him I would ride with him in the next session but that my advice was to call it a day. The session we were on track was just a big slip and slide.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:40 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Compromise cars are tough... No truck/trailer leaves much more compromise in tire choice. I used to run takeoff's, but no longer have a way to get them to the track. May just go with RE71 or RS4 and see how they do street/track.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:19 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
+1 I instructed in a car on NT01s in the rain this past weekend and I told him I would ride with him in the next session but that my advice was to call it a day. The session we were on track was just a big slip and slide.
I ran mine this weekend at the track in the pouring rain as well. I managed a complete 360 without ever leaving the track. It was impressive and made my butt pucker. NT01's in the rain aren't complete death traps - but you better be going slow and have REALLY fast hands.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:05 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Michelin Sport Cup 2 are very good track tires but expensive and best on dry conditions but O.K. in the wet. I don't recommend Hoosiers, I run them, for intermediate students but they do "Talk" to you at the limit. I ran Bridgestone RE71R when I initially started to track my GT4. A very good tire but not as much grip as a tue R comp tire.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:34 PM
anthony42hat
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks. Compromise cars are tough... No truck/trailer leaves much more compromise in tire choice. I used to run takeoff's, but no longer have a way to get them to the track. May just go with RE71 or RS4 and see how they do street/track.
I completely agree. I drive mine to and from the track and although I don't do a lot of driving around town I do enjoy getting the car out in nice weather and enjoying a good romp or just a leisurely drive out to dinner or the golf course. I think I'm with you, after this set (which will last me the rest of this DE season and part of next years) I think I will move to either Sport Cup 2's, RS4 or RE71. Of course, my mind could change several times over the next year or so!
Old 07-25-2018, 10:30 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

The issue with running a NT01 like tire all the time is you really don't want to get caught out in the rain. Or be enjoying a canyon run and find a bunch of water in a shady corner. They're great in the dry and pretty white knuckle in the wet...

I drove my car to the track last Saturday on my Toyo R888's. Looked like it was going to rain that evening, so I skipped the "Beer Thirty" in favor of beating the rain home. Glad I did...

Quick Reply: Tire Decision