Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

subjective question - is mid-olio worth an 8 hour tow

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 10:03 PM
rootwyrm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mid-Ohio's my home course, so I'm arguably biased, but I've driven others. Never driven any of them in a Porsche. But if Mid-Ohio isn't on your bucket list, your list is wrong. I rank it above Laguna Seca even. (I know, heresy.) It's one of the most challenging, technical tracks out there no matter what you're driving. It's "drop everything and go" worthy for open passing events. And yes, I am basically a local - I don't even have to get up early to make a 9:30 registration call, and I don't need a hotel. But tow, run-what-ya-brung, doesn't matter. Most of what I've driven in anger is FWD. (Granted, it's very well sorted FWD.) They run the school with Acura ILXs! It's just that good a track. Hell, skip the tow and run the truck. Going to IMSA this year made me hate myself for not making time to get back behind the wheel sooner.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:56 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10 hr tow for me to Mid O. Only been once but can't wait to drive it again. Tied for favorite track with Barber, VIR and Road Atlanta (sorry, can't decide) . Wouldn't even think twice about towing that far again to drive it. Still didn't quite put a complete lap together after 3 days though, it's not very grippy even when dry and takes some learning. Drives very different than other tracks.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
... can't wait to drive it again. Tied for favorite track with Barber, VIR and Road Atlanta (sorry, can't decide).
Concur 85%
Add Sebring to that list :-)
Old 07-09-2018, 01:34 PM
drive418
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with most of these replies..it's a bucket list track for sure! It's got everything I want. Twistys, elevation changes, fast corners, slow technical corners and a couple of good straights. If you consider driving the North America "great tracks," Mid Ohio has to be on that list.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:30 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by drive418
I agree with most of these replies..it's a bucket list track for sure! It's got everything I want. Twistys, elevation changes, fast corners, slow technical corners and a couple of good straights. If you consider driving the North America "great tracks," Mid Ohio has to be on that list.
Yep, unless you've driven it you have no idea how fast T13 is--outside of T1 it's the fastest turn on the track. If I hit the entry right I can slide my Mini all the way across the track to the exit--then gotta get it straightened out and trail like crazy into the Carousel

Lotsa work, but very rewarding

Gary

Quick Reply: subjective question - is mid-olio worth an 8 hour tow