Sponsored by:

Lightweight flywheel casing overrevs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 02:39 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
Do the engine over-revs increase if it happens on wet grass?

Ed: Darn. someone beat me to it.
no, the amount of overrev is less do to lower rear wheel forces acting on the mishifted engine due to a lower Mu of wet grass.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:05 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I don't know about flywheels continuing to accelerate after fuel cutoff but I do know that a car will accelerate through wet grass. Einstein studied this and found that the acceleration was so great that in twins where one stayed on the track and the other went in the grass, the off track twin would be nearly 80 years younger when he finally came to rest.
FIFY - Remember time slows down as you go faster. Which then points out yet another useful feature of this hobby, we are defeating Father Time by going fast - be sure to remind your regularly aging non-racer friends.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:36 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
FIFY - Remember time slows down as you go faster. Which then points out yet another useful feature of this hobby, we are defeating Father Time by going fast - be sure to remind your regularly aging non-racer friends.
Thanks! I do feel younger when I drive fast on track but not so much when sliding uncontrollably off the paved surface.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:46 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

I over-revved an engine once. I did notice feeling somewhat older afterward, and was poorer as well. The car did not have an aluminum flywheel, though, so perhaps that is a topic for a different thread!

Quick Reply: Lightweight flywheel casing overrevs?