Sponsored by:

Watkins Aim data - what do you see?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 03:22 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
UndersteerOversteer = abs(Act_Wheel_Angle)-abs(Ackerman)

where

Act_Wheel_Angle = steering_angle/STRATIO

and

Ackerman = 7.969/ ((GPS_Speed*1.467)^2/(GPS_LatAcc*32.167))*57.2958

and

STRATIO = 22
Thanks, I had to change the steering angle identifier but the formula seems to work. Now I need to learn how to interpret the graph. Attached are screen shots of the math channel page and measures graph. The lap is at Thunderbolt
Old 07-05-2018, 03:51 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Thanks, I had to change the steering angle identifier but the formula seems to work. Now I need to learn how to interpret the graph. Attached are screen shots of the math channel page and measures graph. The lap is at Thunderbolt
From the data it looks like your car pushes quite a bit, especially going through the Octopus. One more important point I failed to make above:

In order to determine the ACTUAL steering angle, I have used data from a slow speed outlap and scaled my steering sensor data to superimpose on top of the theoretical steering angle from the formula above. (In my case, I divided my steering sensor data by 22 and got a pretty good fit).
Old 07-15-2018, 11:12 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

Instead of showing the graphs overlapped, could you please show them tiled. In addition, can you post: GPS Speed, Throttle or Pedal Position and GSum?

If you don’t have GSum, the formula is: sqrt((GPS_LatAcc^2)+(GPS_LonAcc^2))
Previously, Matt posted a math channel that computes brake trace from longitudinal G: abs(IF(EQ(LT(-GPS_LonAcc,0.2),0),-GPS_LonAcc,0))

Details are shown above

in addition, go into Map and develop a track map with segments so you can look at your theoretical best lap and best segments to show you true capability. An example is shown above.

Once you have all that, pls post a new screen picture and we’ll throw our comments at it.
Thanks again for reposting these math channels. My E46 M3 does not have brake pressure but, using the math channel, my coach was really able to help me with my braking during my first outing at LRP. I'll post some comparison traces to show where I started and I where I ended up once I get back home. Will be at the Glen tomorrow and Tuesday.

Quick Reply: Watkins Aim data - what do you see?