Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio at the ring (video)

Old 06-25-2018, 03:34 PM
graham_mitchell
Playboy Photographer
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio at the ring (video)

Fastest production sedan ever to go around the ring, with a time of 7 min 32 s. Quite a ride!

Old 06-25-2018, 05:47 PM
Sven76
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires gone probably at Metzgesfeld, a lot of understeer and quite snappy set up (and I like snappy). Next round would habe been much slower, while I can go half a dozen sub 8 rounds in the GT4 without anything overheating... but yeah, pretty impressive for a sedan
Old 06-26-2018, 01:40 PM
CosmosMpower
Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember seeing a thread of someone completely destroying a set of pads and rotors in 1 track day. I wonder if it had production tires/tune.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:42 AM
Cacciatore
Addict
Rennlist Member

My brother will be in his Quadrifoglio this weekend for 3 track days on completely stock tires and pads. We will have spares at the track and are interested to see if they really do burn up as quick as everyone is saying.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:46 PM
Gary R.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cacciatore View Post
My brother will be in his Quadrifoglio this weekend for 3 track days on completely stock tires and pads. We will have spares at the track and are interested to see if they really do burn up as quick as everyone is saying.
3 track days, you better have a Tire Rack trailer and a case of brake pads with you!
Ask BostonDMD how his car held up for 3/4 of single day at Limerock... https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15022179&postcount=46
Old 06-27-2018, 01:01 PM
Cacciatore
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow; that's some carnage on after only 3 sessions. It doesn't help that the front end is non-adjustable for camber. The car seems pretty well set up for failure from the factory in terms of track worthiness regardless of what the nurburgring time indicates.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:47 PM
NYoutftr
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am sure many of you have noticed that these test drivers in Europe, push cars to the limit on track with usually no safety gear.
I noticed this person at least had a helmet on.
But I never see gloves or fire suits, etc.
Yet, we over here believe these items are good for DE days
Thoughts?
Old 06-28-2018, 03:56 PM
ohenryinatlanta
User

Originally Posted by NYoutftr View Post
I am sure many of you have noticed that these test drivers in Europe, push cars to the limit on track with usually no safety gear.
I noticed this person at least had a helmet on.
But I never see gloves or fire suits, etc.
Yet, we over here believe these items are good for DE days
Thoughts?
i though the same thing watching the video

atleast use some gloves and long sleeves
Old 06-28-2018, 05:31 PM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

..Testing a car at the Ring !
May be it was a good idea at the beg. of last century, but with the performance of the modern cars, imo is just a total non sense.
(Just exposing drivers to extreme danger.)

Knowing the place, I would say that the Ring do not test cars. In my view, it only tests the size of the b***s and the inverse number of active cells of the brain of the driver.

Remember : This track is **Very Narrow**, there is (on both side) a very narrow space of grass between the track ..and the triple rail. (If flying over the triple rail = landing in a forest.)
By the way, the only thing that is in great shape on this place, this is the triple rail. Reason is simple, when you buy track laps, you sign that if you touch the rail, you pay for it. (Results : on both side of all the lenght of the track, the triple rail ..is brand new !)

But, reading recently that Neel Jani took the lap record in Spa (1:41.8), ..this is a VERY different case.
The Spa is no BS, this is is a REAL car test place. It also test the real skills of a driver.

My two cents : if you go to the Ring, do one or two laps for fun, keeping a very good safety margin on you driving skills, (a good half of the curves are blind, ..and I never saw any flagmen there !), buy a sticker in the "40ft container" (if it rains, you will be waiting on the wetside, as only the sales guys are inside !!), and leave as soon as possible to go about 70 miles North West, in Belgium.
The ring is an awful place, ..while Spa is imo one of the nicest track of the World.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:54 PM
Sven76
User

I thought the same, till I drove the Ring. It is a proper test for any car, that’s why all OEMs have Test Centers at the Nordschleife, the suspension is under massive stress as the Nordschleife is a better B road. You need to handle it with respect, but I drive it relatively fast (around 7.55 for the complete round in a Cayman GT4, not BTG, SportAuto tested it with 7.43) without fearing for my life (though I upped the safety gear, now with Simpson Hybrid, Traqgear fireproof gear, gloves,....). Clearly, my approach to the Nordschleife is different than to any other track, and **** can happen, it it is a fascinating track.

I would clearly recommend against driving there 1 or 2 rounds for fun, that’s when accidents happen as people get too excited and have no clue about the track, doing a guided track day for newbies with proper tuition is much safer. Having good to excellent car control is clearly a plus.

Just my 2 cents.
Sven

Last edited by Sven76; 06-29-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:06 PM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, try to think : if you want to brake a record, ..you have to go **very** close to the limit.
In this place, few mm over the limit can be fatal.
OK, if you love that, (I know few do enjoy it), that fine for me.

btw, we are different, as: I was not thinking this way, ..until I drove the ring !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 06-30-2018 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:40 PM
NYoutftr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ohenryinatlanta View Post
i though the same thing watching the video

atleast use some gloves and long sleeves
The short sleeves wearing his watch ????????

What was that about, have to keep track of time for lunch ?
Old 06-28-2018, 11:01 PM
BostonDMD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
3 track days, you better have a Tire Rack trailer and a case of brake pads with you!
Ask BostonDMD how his car held up for 3/4 of single day at Limerock... https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...9&postcount=46
I love my Giulia Quadrifoglio, I just don't track her anymore.......especially at Lime Rock.......
Old 06-29-2018, 08:07 AM
Gary R.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD View Post
I love my Giulia Quadrifoglio, I just don't track her anymore.......especially at Lime Rock.......
That's what your new 4C is for!
Old 06-29-2018, 08:11 AM
BostonDMD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
That's what your new 4C is for!
Trust me, I working on it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio at the ring (video)

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: