Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry. Can I mention that I hate ESPN?

Old 06-24-2018, 11:29 AM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Sorry. Can I mention that I hate ESPN?

So I am out of town for work. Woke early on the west coast to watch the French GP. Hotel has ESPN, which you would expect. Of course, lets broadcast sportscenter on the flagship and put F1 on the deuce. Thank god for the company iPad..... You set your DVR to record races, qually, practice, etc.... from race to race you never know what gets recorded since these mental lilliputians have no set formula. why spend the money for the rights if you are going to play "whack-a-mole" with the broadcast?
Old 06-24-2018, 11:55 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

They announced in March that this race would be on ESPN2.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:02 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Tvracer.com is my go to for knowing what races are when and where.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:39 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Perfectly acceptable. When SkySports took over broadcasting of F1 and got a new crew of commentators, I’ve been sooooo disappointed. The new guys Scream like it’s a bloody soccer match. They yell constantly, pre race interviews are amateurish and uninteresting. Their cameras during the race focus on nothing informative. Bernie made a crap load of money, like he needs more,when he sold broadcast rights and we viewers are the losers.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:50 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,715 Likes on 910 Posts

sounds like driver error. ESPN2 and tvracer.com is indeed your friend to keep track of all racing.

and other than first race audio issues, I much prefer the what we're getting this season verse prior; better analysis, better camera work, etc.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:28 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,565 Posts

All of F1 records multiple times on my DVR as I have it set to record F1 on every conceivable channel. Since they show repeats on different channels I often have multiple copies of the same race but it is easier to delete.

F1 TV isn't bad either although I have only poked around on my subscription so far and not used it live.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:48 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
sounds like driver error. ESPN2 and tvracer.com is indeed your friend to keep track of all racing.

and other than first race audio issues, I much prefer the what we're getting this season verse prior; better analysis, better camera work, etc.
+1

Marked improvement since early on.......if nothing else the commercial-free coverage beats all.

Gary
Old 06-24-2018, 05:28 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff

if nothing else the commercial-free coverage beats all.
+1000
Old 06-25-2018, 10:51 AM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

What's been annoying for me this year, with Verizon Fios, is that it records what I'll call the rebroadcast. So if I'm off to church expecting the "record the series" function to dutifully record the 8 am eastern live (or sorta) broadcast, for whatever reason Verizon decides to record, instead, the 10 pm rebroadcast. Doh...
Old 06-25-2018, 11:35 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

My advice is to get an Apple TV, Install the ESPN app and throw the DVR out the window. I never DVR anything anymore as most things are available right after in a relevant channels app.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:10 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,855 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
My advice is to get an Apple TV, Install the ESPN app and throw the DVR out the window. I never DVR anything anymore as most things are available right after in a relevant channels app.
can you skip commercials like a DVR can? I realize F1 is commercial free right now but in general.

It’s evident that ESPN put exactly ZERO thought into their commitment to F1, besides what has been mentioned above, I have had my DVR set to the exact time and channel that qualifying was supposed to be aired only to see something totally different about half the time. I’ve also tried to watch it live on the app, but for some reason would not allow me to even though I’ve put in my cable provider. The same app allowed me to watch the replay just after the live broadcast was over.

finally, yesterday. If you went to the ESPN app after the race was over to watch the replay, they had a photo of Hamilton celebrating his victory!!! WTF would ESPN donthat for??? I think interns are running the F1 side of things!!
Old 06-25-2018, 03:26 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21

can you skip commercials like a DVR can? I realize F1 is commercial free right now but in general.

It’s evident that ESPN put exactly ZERO thought into their commitment to F1, besides what has been mentioned above, I have had my DVR set to the exact time and channel that qualifying was supposed to be aired only to see something totally different about half the time. I’ve also tried to watch it live on the app, but for some reason would not allow me to even though I’ve put in my cable provider. The same app allowed me to watch the replay just after the live broadcast was over.

finally, yesterday. If you went to the ESPN app after the race was over to watch the replay, they had a photo of Hamilton celebrating his victory!!! WTF would ESPN donthat for??? I think interns are running the F1 side of things!!
Depends on the app and the content you are watching. Sometimes there is ads and sometimes not. No ads on the ESPN app watching F1, No ads watching a movie on HBO GO, but there will be ads watching something from say ABC app. Most apps that have ads you cant fast forward them, but it will say in the top right '1 of 4' which to me is fine as now I know I have time for a bathroom break or to go get a drink from the fridge.

I do exclusively streaming these days and watching TV and other content is just so much better and so much more convenient than it ever was before. I can watch almost anything I want whenever I want on a big screen or a little screen.

Also, remember that your ability to fast forward ads on recorded content will be soon removed from you. FCC is about to allow broadcasters to insert ads in recorded content and you wont be able to skip it. They invented the DVR and though it was just the next generation of the VCR, but it has almost been the death of broadcasters. That's going to change.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:29 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

At least the race is on ESPN2 qualifying is freaking on ESPN NEWS, wtf.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:08 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

This should make up for it:

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/18775
Old 06-25-2018, 06:13 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

My original comment was regarding them running, what i would consider one of their "premier" events, on their secondary channel. I am on the road at a hotel, so a DVR recording wasn't the issue this time. I did watch it on the ESPN stream on my iPad. It is clear that ESPN doesn't consider it premier. I also watch the Indycar race on NBCsports GO. The hotel TV carried it but it was a terrible picture, so again it was back to the iPad. That was crap as well since on their stream they do not do the "live" window during commercials, like they do on regular broadcast. Meaning a spate of ads every FIVE fecking laps!! first world problems, but annoying nonetheless.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sorry. Can I mention that I hate ESPN?