Sponsored by:

open track vs lockton vs ontrack

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 10:54 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default open track vs lockton vs ontrack

Has anyone done a comparison of these DE insurance policies to see where they are different? I've been using Lockton and have recently been considering switching to Open Track because the annual policy would be more economical than buying individual policies. I did a search and did not see any remotely recent comparisons and I also did not see any recent feedback from anyone who's had a claim with Opentrack. So if anyone has feedback, please post or PM me.

one area that concerned me in the open track policy was value. under "Valuation" it says property will be valued at the amount indicated ....in the Schedule of Coverages" which is basically the value you set when you buy the coverage. Stated value - I like that. but what concerned me was under "other conditions" it says "Appraisal - if you and we do not agree on the amount of the covered loss or the VALUE OF COVERED PROPERTY, either party may demand that these amounts be determined by an appraiser."

That unnerved me a bit. my track car is a 16 year old vette. an appraiser could blue book it at 12K, or they could find a racing junk ad for 27K, none of which would touch the amount I have in the car. Lockton is pure stated value. I suppose I need to email Ben to get whether open track is stated value or appraised.

Open track policy says there is no coverage for any driver under 25 - if you get a young instructor, I guess you have to ask how old he or she is. or if you have kids who share your track car... not an issue for me. my kid is too young and I don't remember the last time an instructor drove my car.

Towing - I trailer so an issue for me, but the policy does say "we will pay for miscellaneous towing expenses up to a sublimit of $10,000." wow, is that true? if my car get's bent, I may have them flatbed it home rather than trying to forklift it into my trailer. I must be reading that wrong.

just wondering if anyone else has compared the coverages and what they found. All in all, they seem apples to apples, but just wondering the differences. I suppose the difference may only show themselves in the claims process, but would be glad to hear any thoughts or experiences.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:54 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I can tell you that Steve Katz (great guy) and OnTrack (pleasure to work with) do not offer coverage in Canada, Lockton does, if you buy a multi-pack and Open track will cover Canada for an additional $500.00, over and above the declared value premium.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:45 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Lockton has been having website issues for quite a while now. I can't seem to manage multi event policies online anymore; it has to be a phone call or e-mail every time - if that convenience matters to you.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:58 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
Lockton has been having website issues for quite a while now. I can't seem to manage multi event policies online anymore; it has to be a phone call or e-mail every time - if that convenience matters to you.
Ive logged on a dozen times in the last 12 months without a hitch. Even changed an event today. What kind of issues are you having?
Old 06-19-2018, 02:11 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A bit off-topic but... I've been told that "stated value" is not the same as "agreed value". You need to be aware of which one of these you are getting. Here is a discussion of these from Leland West:

https://www.lelandwest.com/stated-va...-insurance.cfm
Old 06-19-2018, 02:37 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Ontrack has great responsiveness and reasonable rates. True agreed value, also. I spoke to Steve/Ontrack about this a year or so ago when I was feeling out which insurer to use.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:33 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve used various carriers over the years and I have stayed with Steve/Ontrack for the past several years. Competitive rates, very responsive and excellent customer service.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:01 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Regarding the Open Track questions, best thing to do is contact them directly to get answers.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:37 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

The real differentiator is how respective companies respond to a major claim. It would useful to hear the feedback from anyone that’s been through the process.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:52 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

What's the best option for a cheap car like mine? I'm sharing my car with a friend so we can do a road trip together and I usually self insure but we think having a policy just in case makes sense in this circumstance. Car is worth no more than $7000 as it sits.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:52 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

I know of one person personally who totaled out their car, and used Lockton - and had 0 issues. As such I've used them exclusively for insurance. Haven't made a claim with them though.

Reading another thread here today, I checked out OpenTrack, punched in some stuff to get a quick quote - and OpenTrack was quite a bit less than Lockton. I may give them a try for my next event. Would love to hear if anyone has had to make a claim with them though.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:31 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
What's the best option for a cheap car like mine? I'm sharing my car with a friend so we can do a road trip together and I usually self insure but we think having a policy just in case makes sense in this circumstance. Car is worth no more than $7000 as it sits.
As a fellow Miata owner, my personal opinion is that buying insurance isn't worth it. Unless one has a championship-caliber car, these things are considered disposable..

For your specific situation, I suppose you might as well get online quotes from different insurances and see if they make sense. You can get instant quotes from most track insurance websites. Only you can decide if the premium is worth it.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:54 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
I know of one person personally who totaled out their car, and used Lockton - and had 0 issues. As such I've used them exclusively for insurance. Haven't made a claim with them though.

Reading another thread here today, I checked out OpenTrack, punched in some stuff to get a quick quote - and OpenTrack was quite a bit less than Lockton. I may give them a try for my next event. Would love to hear if anyone has had to make a claim with them though.
Recently someone totaled their 991 RS with an OpenTrack policy. There is a thread about it in 991 GT3/ 991RS/ 991 R forum
Old 06-25-2018, 10:09 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
Ive logged on a dozen times in the last 12 months without a hitch. Even changed an event today. What kind of issues are you having?
When I click Manage Events on my multi-event policy, the website goes to the Single Event purchase page, and if I select an event there, it puts it in my cart as if I were purchasing a single event. Was told on the phone that they're aware of the issue and I should keep contacting them via phone or e-mail to add/remove events. That phone call was several months back though.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:15 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
When I click Manage Events on my multi-event policy, the website goes to the Single Event purchase page, and if I select an event there, it puts it in my cart as if I were purchasing a single event. Was told on the phone that they're aware of the issue and I should keep contacting them via phone or e-mail to add/remove events. That phone call was several months back though.
I’ve had the same issue.

Quick Reply: open track vs lockton vs ontrack