Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   makowiecki at le mans......opinions? (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1076123-makowiecki-at-le-mans-opinions.html)

Bull_D 06-17-2018 02:42 PM

makowiecki at le mans......opinions?

while a good battle, the driving done by him in the "rothmans" 911 was chickens*t IMHO. some was good solid defense, and quite a bit was flat out dangerous. bourdais drove hard and clean. when he passed, then makowiecki would retake, bourdain defended but made one move then held his position. not weave, or drive the other guy off like makowiecki did. no respect for that type of driving. kind of surprised that NFA was the result of the race directors investigation. on a side note.....WTF is the issue with these networks? velocity is supposed to broadcast the entire race live.....sounds great. however, the recording ends with an hour left in the race??? :banghead:

LexVan 06-17-2018 02:48 PM

I liked it. The over-head video from The Coach (very well done segments from Velocity, btw) looked fine.

ProCoach 06-17-2018 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bull_D (Post 15085326)
while a good battle, the driving done by him in the "rothmans" 911 was chickens*t IMHO. some was good solid defense, and quite a bit was flat out dangerous. bourdais drove hard and clean. when he passed, then makowiecki would retake, bourdain defended but made one move then held his position. not weave, or drive the other guy off like makowiecki did. no respect for that type of driving. kind of surprised that NFA was the result of the race directors investigation. :banghead:

Agree completely. The Porsche team boss’ lame excuse that “it’s the race director’s job to investigate these things and they found no fault” is crap, too.

Fred’s better than that. I remember when he was a privateer, before he was tapped by the factory teams, and he NEVER pulled that s#!t!

The Brewmeister 06-17-2018 05:03 PM

I was expecting a penalty to be handed down but it never came. Glad the Pink Pig was down the road and had no part.

ProCoach 06-17-2018 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister (Post 15085548)
I was expecting a penalty to be handed down but it never came. Glad the Pink Pig was down the road and had no part.

Agreed. #untainted

enduro911 06-17-2018 05:20 PM

ProCoach 06-17-2018 06:03 PM

Seb passing on the outside down into Indianapolis! CRAZY good! But when Fred ran him off the road, that was a real problem... there WAS overlap.

And crossing the width of the road MULTIPLE times, in response to the following car’s position, that is called “depriving the other car of racing room...”

Bad (non) call.

Nizer 06-17-2018 06:09 PM

No comment on the driving but that livery rocks!

MSR Racer 06-17-2018 06:37 PM

Awesome to watch though. One of the few highlights of the race. Otherwise boring. Nothing going on in the LMP1s. Are they becoming irrelevant?

skl 06-17-2018 06:51 PM

Hasn't he been in trouble before? I vaguely remember something from a year or so ago where he was penalized etc?? I sort of thought he had the rep as a dirty driver.

fleadh 06-17-2018 07:31 PM

I see the weaving down the straights as trying to break the draft, not blocking. I haven't reviewed it multiple times (just the clip above), but it looked like the Porsche was the first to move (at least on the straights). Pushing the Ford out to the grass was border-line... but, this is the last few hours of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. I wouldn't have expected much else from anyone..... /shrug

-mike

Mike in Chi 06-17-2018 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nizer (Post 15085667)
No comment on the driving but that livery rocks!

Yep... Looked terrific on the 911!

Spinout 06-17-2018 09:05 PM

[QUOTE=....WTF is the issue with these networks? velocity is supposed to broadcast the entire race live.....sounds great. however, the recording ends with an hour left in the race??? :banghead:[/QUOTE]

Must have been your DVR. I watched the checkered fag and 10 mins of post race hoopla before Velocity cut to another program. Cheers to Velocity for broadcoasting the entire race on 1 channel without having to search the guide to connect the segments together.

Speeds5 06-17-2018 11:47 PM

I agree, i didn't see anything out of the ordinary from the Porsche. As you said, the weaving on the straight were initiated by the Porsche to not give the Ford the drafting advantage. Nothing wrong with that, there no blocking there at all. Great battle there at the end.

Originally Posted by fleadh (Post 15085795)
I see the weaving down the straights as trying to break the draft, not blocking. I haven't reviewed it multiple times (just the clip above), but it looked like the Porsche was the first to move (at least on the straights). Pushing the Ford out to the grass was border-line... but, this is the last few hours of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. I wouldn't have expected much else from anyone..... /shrug

-mike

Texas RS 06-18-2018 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by fleadh (Post 15085795)

-mike

Mike, After reading your comments, I watched the video again and paid particular attention to which car initiated the move. I'm with you on this one.