Sponsored by:

makowiecki at le mans......opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 12:22 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
No comment on the driving but that livery rocks!
Not as cool as the Pink Pig. That graphics scheme is so ugly that it's cool, and they won the class!
Hope one of the model companies makes it in 1/18 scale.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:54 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Hasn't he been in trouble before? I vaguely remember something from a year or so ago where he was penalized etc?? I sort of thought he had the rep as a dirty driver.
He spun the Corvette of Tommy Milner with only a few minutes left in the race at Long Beach in 2016. He put himself (the 912) out of the race while the 911 car squeezed through and went on to win.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:38 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Slightly off topic, but I figured you guys would know best. Did you notice what the Pink Pig was doing on it's victory lap? It was driving w a y off the race line to deliberately pick up race rubber and rubber debris. The announcer said they did this to help raise the car for tech inspection at the end of the race. This is REALLY a concern? I didn't see Toyota doing that. I didn't see Dr. McDreamy's car doing that. Strange.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:39 AM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Slightly off topic, but I figured you guys would know best. Did you notice what the Pink Pig was doing on it's victory lap? It was driving w a y off the race line to deliberately pick up race rubber and rubber debris. The announcer said they did this to help raise the car for tech inspection at the end of the race. This is REALLY a concern?
Not sure if it actually makes a difference, but I know that F1 cars do the same to try to pick up some weight.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:27 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Slightly off topic, but I figured you guys would know best. Did you notice what the Pink Pig was doing on it's victory lap? It was driving w a y off the race line to deliberately pick up race rubber and rubber debris. The announcer said they did this to help raise the car for tech inspection at the end of the race. This is REALLY a concern? I didn't see Toyota doing that. I didn't see Dr. McDreamy's car doing that. Strange.
Originally Posted by PGas32
Not sure if it actually makes a difference, but I know that F1 cars do the same to try to pick up some weight.
Yeah, I think it's more weight than ride height. Pick up a bunch of rubber bits on the tires to add a few pounds just to add margin at post-race scrutineering.

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
He spun the Corvette of Tommy Milner with only a few minutes left in the race at Long Beach in 2016. He put himself (the 912) out of the race while the 911 car squeezed through and went on to win.
​​​​​​Didn't someone punt Magnussen as they came to the finish line at Laguna Seca a few years ago as well? Not sure who / what the other driver and car were. I just remember a big battle and the Corvette hitting a wall meters from the finish line.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:33 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
Originally Posted by Scooby921
Yeah, I think it's more weight than ride height. Pick up a bunch of rubber bits on the tires to add a few pounds just to add margin at post-race scrutineering.
Thank you guys. But it seems like if it was a weight thing, it would have been a lot easier to add an extra gallon of fuel to the final "splash & go" pit stop. The announcer specifically said to "raise the ride height". Oh well.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:39 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Saw the same thing at PWC broadcast at LRP.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:21 AM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

As mentioned in the original post, some of the defending was just that....hard defending. But I respectfully disagree that all of it was just business as usual. If you watched the WHOLE battle, there are times when Bourdais had car overlap and was pushed across several lanes of public road and onto the grass/dirt. THAT is not defending. When the situation was reversed during this battle, Bourdais defended hard, but made only one move and always left a car width to the edge of the track. In his post stint interview his irritation was pretty clear.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:58 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
Awesome to watch though. One of the few highlights of the race. Otherwise boring. Nothing going on in the LMP1s. Are they becoming irrelevant?
The race in the LMP2, GTE PRO and GTE AM classes was good. But with only 4 LMP1 cars in the field, 2 being uber fast Hybrids and 2 not. It was a snoozer of a race up front. So yeah LMP1s were irrelevant.

Congrats to Toyota, congrats to Fernando (who now has 2 of the three triple crown racing achievements), but for them to win this year, it is not the same as when Toyota actually had another car to compete against.

The technology behind the Hybrid cars is awesome, but it's also too expensive. Something needs to happen if LMP1 cars do not go the way of the Dodo birds.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:00 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
​​​​​​Didn't someone punt Magnussen as they came to the finish line at Laguna Seca a few years ago as well? Not sure who / what the other driver and car were. I just remember a big battle and the Corvette hitting a wall meters from the finish line.
I remember that. It was one of the best race finishes ever at least for us fans.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:08 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/vi...erview-110924/
Old 06-18-2018, 02:31 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
I remember that. It was one of the best race finishes ever at least for us fans.
it was Jorg Bergmeister
Old 06-18-2018, 04:12 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Thank you guys. But it seems like if it was a weight thing, it would have been a lot easier to add an extra gallon of fuel to the final "splash & go" pit stop. The announcer specifically said to "raise the ride height". Oh well.
You don't want to carry the weight during the race, you just want to have it after the race!
Old 06-18-2018, 06:25 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinout

I watched the checkered ***

Huh? I must have missed that.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:38 PM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

He's complaining about BOP now? really? Sour grapes if you ask me.

Quick Reply: makowiecki at le mans......opinions?