Sponsored by:

Moton Canister Pressure Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Moton Canister Pressure Advice

So I have a set of Moton Motorsport 2-ways on my SCCA T2 996 C2.
I had them rebuilt with the intention of running the original Cup Car spring rates of 1400/1600#.
Then I came to my senses and installed 800/1000# springs. So I believe they were rebuilt with too aggressive damping curves for my current wheel rates.
I say this because what I'm finding as I test the car is that the adjustments may only be useful through the first 3 or 4 clicks. After that, things get "hard" or they just stop seeming to make any positive changes to the vehicle's grip and roll levels.

So I have 2 questions:
- If I lower the canister pressures from 150psi to 100 will that give me a bit more adjustability before it gets too firm?
- I realize shocks types are different but what do you all generally run for bump and rebound "balance" on a 996? Meaning... do you run lots of rebound up front but less in rear etc etc.

FRONT

REAR

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:28 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex996
So I have a set of Moton Motorsport 2-ways on my SCCA T2 996 C2.
I had them rebuilt with the intention of running the original Cup Car spring rates of 1400/1600#.
Then I came to my senses and installed 800/1000# springs. So I believe they were rebuilt with too aggressive damping curves for my current wheel rates.
I say this because what I'm finding as I test the car is that the adjustments may only be useful through the first 3 or 4 clicks. After that, things get "hard" or they just stop seeming to make any positive changes to the vehicle's grip and roll levels.

So I have 2 questions:
- If I lower the canister pressures from 150psi to 100 will that give me a bit more adjustability before it gets too firm?
- I realize shocks types are different but what do you all generally run for bump and rebound "balance" on a 996? Meaning... do you run lots of rebound up front but less in rear etc etc.

Thanks in advance.
I'm running #700/800 on Motons that were originally built for #1000/1200. I'm on the bottom of the spectrum of adjustability as well, but do see demonstrable changes as I move up (stiffen); trying to soften does nothing; currently at 2/4 compression/rebound in front and 3/5 in rear. When I started experimenting with canister pressure I found that dropping below 150psi made the adjustments inconsistent and/or non-linear, so went back to factory suggested spec. I'm running the big tire in the back (300/680), so there's added dampening there as well that needs to be accounted for in the evaluation.

NOTE: May want to ignore my input as I just discovered 3 of my 4 dampers are toast. Not kind of fracked up, totally useless. I'd noticed the handling deteriorating the past 3 events and then went off a cliff the last one.

So super important question here: Where did you get your Motons rebuilt?
Old 06-15-2018, 07:46 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

My rebuilds were done by ANZE Suspension
Where did you get your canister pressure info? I have no documentation for these shocks and (the new) Moton USA has not responded to my emails.
The only thing I have is from those little Moton "Track Books" they used to give out. In there it says min pressure is 6bar / max is 18 (87min/261max PSI)

Interesting about the non-linearity with low pressures. I'll have to test that.
When I go hard with the bump and rebound the car starts to hop/skate over bumps/curbs and lift wheels with too much rebound. Now I realize this is absolutely consistent with what should happen but it is happening before I get +7 clicks from soft.

Does anyone have a PDF of the old Moton 2-way manual? (not clubsport)

Quick Reply: Moton Canister Pressure Advice