Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no drill rollbar advice

Old 01-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts
Default no drill rollbar advice

putting a bar in my GT3, and planned to use the tequipment bar from porsche as i did in my GT2. don't want to drill or weld as i rarely keep a car long.

looked at the DAS weekender bar on their site, about the same $$$. what do you guys advise? other alternatives? shipping to S CA. having read radical racer/mark's comments about rollbar danger on the street without a hat, i also wonder if there is an easily removeable style.

driving usage is mild, but risk is moderate: daily use plus 1/2 my miles 100-150 to and from nevada, 2 open road races [below 168] this summer and maybe 3-4 mild private track days.

thank you for your knowledge and help.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

watt,
For DE events in my PCA region (NNJR), bolt in bars are acceptable to use.

I assume that your bar attaches to seat belt mounting points.

Personally, I believe the bolt in bars that attach to the seat belt mounting points are a good design: those points are made to withstand a lot of force.

Check with the clubs that run the events you plan on participting in to see if they accept a bolt-in roll bar. I suspect that the club sponsoring your open road race may want to see a welded in cage in cars that travel over 150 mph!

-Z-man, honorary member, HWFMR. (I've even got the shirt to prove it! )
Old 01-07-2004, 03:56 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like both the Motorsport bar and am a big fan of the DAS bar, although I've never owned one.

The dangers on the street are regarding roll CAGES and what your forehead is likely to hit if you have a good one...and you're wearing no helmet. I have recently considered this potentially DEADLY issue but have yet to decide what I want to do about it.

I drive my 964 regularly on the street, with full cage.

With the bolt-in rollbars, I don't believe this is an issue, unless your seatback is broken and your head comes in contact with the main hoop...there's a potentially dangerous situation, but one that I feel is MUCH less probable when compared to hitting my head on the "HALO" region of my cage whilst street driving.

I have since padded the passenger side, in concern for my girlfriend who often rides w/me.

I know, but at least I've done SOMETHING!!
Old 01-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

z man,

i ran the Gt2 to 165 tech speed for 100 mile races last summer: the bolt in bar is good to that tech speed per the rules of openroadracing.com. above that it's fuel cell, cage, fire system, etc.

being hyperbolic, i just made up my HWFMR title for fun
Old 01-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I occasionally drive my DAS bar equipped car (with GT3 seats) on the street and am not worried about whacking my head on the bar. The main hoop is too far back from my head. As Jeff said, the full cages have far more unforgiving steel tubing within the perimeter of a driver and passenger's head than a roll bar.

I'm very happy with the DAS bar. To install it, it took two people to hold the main hoop, steady the lower cross bar, align the seatbelt retractor and thread the B-pillar bolt in; if you have three hands, you might be able to do it on your own. I ran out of expletives and resorted to calling a friend. Also, you might need to use a bottle jack or ratchet tie downs to either push or pull, respectively, the rear support arms to get them to match up with the seat belt mount points.

<edit> okay, I just read Mark Dalen's post where he cites Joe Marko's article on the possibility of a head coming in contact with the rear hoop. I hope my GT3 seats have less flex than stock seats.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 01-07-2004 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Kim,

Hmmm, you're right.. For some reason, as I was writing the post, I thought I had installed the main hoop at the same time but, after thinking about it a bit more, I bolted it in later. My bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: no drill rollbar advice