Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque wrench reccomendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 12:53 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Recently bought a Kobalt for $60 from Lowe's--feels like real quality compared to all the Crapsman junk I've had......using it right now at the Glen GORGEOUS weather for once

Gary
Old 06-11-2018, 10:52 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for CDI. Top of the line quality and workmanship at a reasonable price. I learned long ago to buy good tools - last a lifetime, usually work better and easier and just feel good in your hand.

About 10 years ago I bought a used Proto torque wrench to keep in my track box. I think I paid about $20 and figured if it got lost/stolen who cares. I set it at 96 ft/lbs where its stayed all these years. I periodically check it against my CDI. Amazingly, it's stayed accurate.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:44 AM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Torque wrench recommendation

Originally Posted by mglobe
+1
I agree with the recommendation for the Precision Split Beam torque wrench. Good price(~$150), made in the USA and excellent range of torque capabilities (40-250 ft-lb).
You buy this 1/2 drive tool and its little brother 3/8" version and you have covered the vast majority of fastener torques on any vehicle including lug nuts.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:18 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Harbor Freight.
+1. I've been very satisfied with my HF wrenches - I have all three 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". On sale, about $10-15. Certainly good enough for checking lug torque for all but centerlocks. I even use mine for engine work. I've tested them by comparing with some very expensive torque wrenches and accuracy has never been an issue. The cost makes it a non-worry item to leave out and loan out on the paddock.

I do like beam wrenches when I'm concerned about torque building up as they make it easy to see.

-Mike
Old 06-12-2018, 12:41 PM
GSXR750
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you guys again, ordering the precision
Old 06-12-2018, 03:03 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Are split beam torque wrenches a fairly recent invention?

I'd never heard of them until looking into getting one for my center locks. Been using click types (and unwinding them after each use) for 20 years and never knew there was a better option!

Now I kinda want new split beam ones in the smaller sizes as they're way more convenient.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:07 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Are split beam torque wrenches a fairly recent invention?

I'd never heard of them until looking into getting one for my center locks. Been using click types (and unwinding them after each use) for 20 years and never knew there was a better option!

Now I kinda want new split beam ones in the smaller sizes as they're way more convenient.
I don't know why they call it split-beam which is totally misleading. They are electronic instead of the old torsion bar beam type which were mechanical.
I have 3 Snap-On Techangles from 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" covering all fasteners on my 997. Plus it has angle value for the final toque down on head jobs which some application requires. Also another advantage besides not having to reset it back to zero after usage is the ability to use on reverse threaded fasteners. Some people, carry over from the old click type strongly advice not to use it for reverse thread, but after asking Snap On on this issue, they told me the electronic ones can be used on counter-clockwise bolts provided it does not exceed the wrench spec. Yes you do need reverse torque setting on some jobs. Some crankcase bolts, transmission drive train bolts etc require reverse threading to tighten it down. Your center lock is a different issue due to the high values and the use of cheater to achieve the high toque necessary. I'm not too sure if the center-lock hubs require reverse threading though.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:17 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Firstly, I'd have never thought twice about using a torque wrench for reverse threads if the need ever arose... which it hasn't. I know you don't use them as breaker bars... but they've all got a reverse setting on the ratchet (the precision one you just turn the head around I think) so there doesn't seem to be any reason they wouldn't work for that.

Now... I wasn't talking about digital ones. I was referring to the split beam ones like the Precision Instruments one that most people use for center locks. I mean... it still clicks... but it works differently. When people say "click wrench" they're generally referring to the ones where you set the torque by twisting the handle until you line up the appropriate marks. The split beam ones have a little dial on them that is really easy to set and you don't need to "unwind" it after. It's just way more convenient.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:12 PM
max pl
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Whats a good way to check calibration on one? Bring it to a dealer and ask a service tech?
Old 06-13-2018, 12:22 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by max pl
Whats a good way to check calibration on one? Bring it to a dealer and ask a service tech?
something like this. I'll add that my HF 1/2" checked out just fine

ACDelco ARM602-4 1/2” Digital Torque Adapter (4-147.6 ft-lbs) with Audible Alert
Link Link
Old 06-13-2018, 02:46 AM
JGB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by max pl
I check mine every now and then at the tire shop where I've spent a lot of money over the years. They have a device to check their Torque wrenches, probably for safety/quality/liability reasons.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:14 PM
GSXR750
Racer

Wow this is all great info, the precision unit arrived and I feel the need to torque something now. Glad you guys didn’t recommend a plasma cutter!!
now I can pack for the streets of willow and try to fit all the stuff in a 997.2 coupe

thanks again for the help
mike
Old 06-16-2018, 08:43 PM
GSXR750
Racer

Thanks to you guys I think I’m ready for next weekend at the streets of willow.

Only thing I need now is skill.
Thanks again for the help

mike

Quick Reply: torque wrench reccomendation