Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 10:07 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
Where did you get the conversion kit? I have the same problem
everyone sells them. google stilo ear bud audio
this is a photo of it, but at stable energies i paid like 105, 110 bucks not 180. it hink the 180 is the euro connector.
was a 10minutes setup. 1,2,3
Old 06-26-2018, 05:52 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Stilo helmet and in my cup, the noise with the ear cups was too much to bear so I went with custom earbuds. Worked well for two outings, then did not work. I had the new wiring done by Sampson Racing Electronics in LA. They were good about it it. They re-wired it and I now have it back. Was not thrilled the soldering job didn't last more than two sessions though. For me, the custom earbuds were definitely more uncomfortable fit wise than the earcups. But the lack of ringing in my ears after the session and the ability to hear my coach and pit guy made it worth the extra pain.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:09 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
I have a Stilo helmet and in my cup, the noise with the ear cups was too much to bear so I went with custom earbuds. Worked well for two outings, then did not work. I had the new wiring done by Sampson Racing Electronics in LA. They were good about it it. They re-wired it and I now have it back. Was not thrilled the soldering job didn't last more than two sessions though. For me, the custom earbuds were definitely more uncomfortable fit wise than the earcups. But the lack of ringing in my ears after the session and the ability to hear my coach and pit guy made it worth the extra pain.
future reference, EVERYONE sells the earjack/earbud kid. replaces all the ectronics which frankly with stilo is very simple. the wires just get taped under the cheek/side pads, and the imsa /cord port is simple to put into the port on the sideo f the helmet. the most complex thing is bolting the 3.5mm earbud jack to the side of the helmet. total install took me 10 minutes and it rquires no soldering since you replace the entire kit. retail was like $110
really really simple.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:13 AM
Skibum1963
Racer

Default Hardwire

did not mean to spread false information. Can you post link to one of these kits? Are you replacing the microphone as well? The helmet female portion of the IMSA plug is what gets replaced along with the wiring to the earcups? Would certainly be interested in this as a backup if mine ever fails again.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:43 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

it was a replacement of the whole thing. nice thing about the stilo hlemet, its all prepped for the audio kit whichever kit you go with . basically the cups came out which are then run to the plug on that side port on the side o fthe helmet and then there is a pigtail with the mic. it all integrated. $110 bucks. out came the old in one piece, and in went the new. and i sold the old/earmuffs on ebay for $60 so net was 50 to convert.

here'a link https://simpsonraceproducts.com/stil...-ear-bud-kits/ you want the USA 3.5mm connector but that photo pretty much covers it. its WAY way more simple that you could imagine. its literally super simple. in that photo on that page, the only thing missing is the clamp to hold that 3.5mm jack to the side of the helmet there you have to perhaps drill small hole through helmet and put a thin nut on the inside under the cheek pad. that took 2minutes
did not mean to spread false information. Can you post link to one of these kits? Are you replacing the microphone as well? The helmet female portion of the IMSA plug is what gets replaced along with the wiring to the earcups? Would certainly be interested in this as a backup if mine ever fails again.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:31 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I took muffs off mine- ordered some covers from Air Craft Spruce.Perfect now. so simple.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:48 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Default Wiring

spg-cool. That does look simple. They must have liked your post because now they charge $189 for the kit!
gofish-those covers look nice. My helmet came with some so I’ll try those first.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:06 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the plain pads as well and tons of extras. The intercom system is still there in my helmet but a plain cover instead of muff .Easier to get helmet on & off and can use eye glasses easier. Also can hear people before turning on intercom. Different cheek pads and top of head pieces are available as well. It took a long time to get all proper fit. Initial fits can be deceiving. I miss my Stand 21-

Last edited by Gofishracing; 06-27-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:11 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

spg-cool. That does look simple. They must have liked your post because now they charge $189 for the kit!
gofish-those covers look nice. My helmet came with some so I’ll try those first.
thats been that way at 189. i paid i think 110 with stable and a few others offer the same. stable had them in stock.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:08 AM
Skibum1963
Racer

SPG-so I think I understand this a lot more. Why the guys at Sampson did a soldering job to re-configure the female plug inside the helmet is a mystery to me when Stilo has a multitude of kits (and they are a dealer). I wish they had told me about the AE0320 wiring harness. Would have been perfect. Argh... as it is now, I will always be wondering when my soldering job is going to give up the ghost. Maybe I will just bite the bullet and get an audio kit and do this now.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:14 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

SPG-so I think I understand this a lot more. Why the guys at Sampson did a soldering job to re-configure the female plug inside the helmet is a mystery to me when Stilo has a multitude of kits (and they are a dealer). I wish they had told me about the AE0320 wiring harness. Would have been perfect. Argh... as it is now, I will always be wondering when my soldering job is going to give up the ghost. Maybe I will just bite the bullet and get an audio kit and do this now.
if aggravated enough, just drop the 110 bucks. buy one. put in the helmet move on with life and enjoy the snot out of things. you should be fine. the soldering job isnt the issue as much as where they put that solder job under the pads, etc. stuff inside there is always getting mussed about putting on, pulling off, monkeying around. etc.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Skibum1963
Racer

Should have done this before race last weekend. Earbuds connection failed and had to use my daughters iPhone headphones for the race. Stilo wiring kit ordered...
Old 07-12-2018, 10:53 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

No pain no gain

I am in the process of removing my ear muffs as well. Just hard to hear on the radio, and we use a digital system

Quick Reply: Stilo helmet deconvert integrated audio