Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Can a typical Green DE n00b boil STREET brake fluid?
Yes
63.92%
No
36.08%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

How overhyped is racing brake fluid for a First Day Green DE. ?

Old 06-06-2018, 07:18 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Biggest question is, when was the non racing fluid last changed? Might as well change it to high temp stuff if you're gonna flush it anyway. Cheap insurance.
+1
Old 06-06-2018, 07:20 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I've taken my own car to three different tracks only - but every one of them required brake fluid change within six months. If you are going to change it... might as well put the right stuff in. Likelihood of cooking it may be low, but if you are at the point of doing a DE, after buying a nice car, gearing up with a helmet, etc... Seems like either changing the fluid on your own or doing a flush which is really quick and cheap has to be one of the easiest/least expensive things you can do on top of everything else!

Listing the simplest/most obvious things to do at a DE...

1) Wear a seatbelt...
2) Wear a helmet...
3) Check your tire pressure...
4) Torque your wheels...
5) Have fresh brake fluid...
6) Have fresh pads...
7) Have rotors with enough width left to them...
8) start list with 100 more mods until you have a purpose built track car...

Brake fluid has to be just past tire and torque in terms of ease and cost and probably right there in terms of priority.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:35 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Make sure his fluid is fresh, and he has relatively fresh pads. If the fluid needs to be changed, no harm in putting some ATE Gold in.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:40 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Endless RF 650 or Castrol SRF. End of worries, end of problem.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:27 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Just to clarify, I know he should put in fresh fluid, and if you're doing that anyway, just put in the ATE.
But, this is more a hypothetical. Let's say he JUST flushed his fluid with generic $5 DOT3 fluid.
Would you tell a n00b to do it again with ATE?
Old 06-07-2018, 12:02 AM
will968
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Just to clarify, I know he should put in fresh fluid, and if you're doing that anyway, just put in the ATE.
But, this is more a hypothetical. Let's say he JUST flushed his fluid with generic $5 DOT3 fluid.
Would you tell a n00b to do it again with ATE?
Probably not, in that case. Spend the extra cash next time though, and add some SRF for pedal feel longevity

Last edited by will968; 06-07-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:15 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

while I concur with everything said, thus far, what surprises me the most is, changing brake fluid, even to a high temp fluid is simply INEXPENSIVE insurance, so why would you even question the basic premise? Put the "right stuff" in and forget about it! What price do you put on safety and maximizing the odds in the driver's/owner's favor? Save $100-$200 and for what, a "code brown" moment that might seriously ruin the driver's enjoyment and confidence to continue.........? Not worth the chance. My .02.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Master of Disaster
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never had a student boil fresh street fluid. I HAVE had one boil old fluid - in the first session... As long as it's fresh and the student is green, there isn't much to worry about. A fast learner on their 2nd or 3rd weekend at a brake intensive track or high HP car, and the story changes quickly.

+1 to piece of mind. I always tell my students that confidence in race brakes is priceless. I remember fading brakes and lack of confidence from my early days driving on street equipment - it ruins the experience (and could be dangerous).

I DO think that bleeding after every event is over-hyped though
Old 06-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Had a new student that was complaining about brake problems and his instructor could see that the pedal was going all the way to the floor. Everything checked out and when the instructor drove the car there were no issues, so all is good. Until the student's next session where it happened again, on the two high braking zones. While everyone was scratching their heads another instructor walked up and asked about the brake lights... brake lights??? Yes, they were ALWAYS on. Turns out the student was riding the brake pedal the entire time thus keeping high temps in the brake system, the car was an automatic / DSC and he was subtly dragging his left foot on the brake.

Point to be made - never know what a newbie will do and as mentioned, a change to a high performance brake fluid is too cheap to not do.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:47 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Master of Disaster
I've never had a student boil fresh street fluid. I HAVE had one boil old fluid - in the first session... As long as it's fresh and the student is green, there isn't much to worry about. A fast learner on their 2nd or 3rd weekend at a brake intensive track or high HP car, and the story changes quickly.

+1 to piece of mind. I always tell my students that confidence in race brakes is priceless. I remember fading brakes and lack of confidence from my early days driving on street equipment - it ruins the experience (and could be dangerous).

I DO think that bleeding after every event is over-hyped though
Depends on the car, have you instructed a 4,000 pound 700 hp Hellcat? Pretty easy to boil brand new oem brake fluid.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:48 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Why take a chance?
Fresh high temp fluid is such a cheap insurance
Old 06-07-2018, 12:28 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SWK6Cup
while I concur with everything said, thus far, what surprises me the most is, changing brake fluid, even to a high temp fluid is simply INEXPENSIVE insurance, so why would you even question the basic premise? Put the "right stuff" in and forget about it! What price do you put on safety and maximizing the odds in the driver's/owner's favor? Save $100-$200 and for what, a "code brown" moment that might seriously ruin the driver's enjoyment and confidence to continue.........? Not worth the chance. My .02.
Yep - completely agree.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by breljohn
Why take a chance?
Fresh high temp fluid is such a cheap insurance
This.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:30 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

assuming your P-car is regularly maintained:

can it be boiled on your first day in green: yes
if you have an instructor with you and he does his job: no way
Old 06-07-2018, 02:21 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by SWK6Cup
+1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How overhyped is racing brake fluid for a First Day Green DE. ?