Sponsored by:

Storing race tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 12:12 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Storing race tires

I realize storing race compound tires out of the sun but inside a trailer in the summer is not ideal, but just how bad is it to do so?
Has anyone ever kept tires inside a trailer over a hot summer and then noticed a difference in grip or tire life after mounting them?
I will be storing tires inside a trailer at Willow Springs (in the California high desert) this summer. I wish I could avoid having to do so, but it would be logistically hard for me store them at home and then transport them to the track.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:35 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Depends on brand and compound but heat won't usually hurt them like cold will. I've stored Hoosier A's on my trailer all winter in fairly cold Ga winter. They were old before and ran fine after. I had some pirellis DH on the same trailer. Tried those and spun off track scrubbing tires with no throttle at 15 mph.

I routinely leave both pirelli and Hoosier on the trailer in the summer with no problem. Many race teams store them on their rigs or in hot garages, which is no different.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:59 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Trailer is fine. Cold and UV are the enemies.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:34 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

Interesting, I didn't know cold storage was bad. It gets to maybe high 20s at night on average in the California high desert in the winter. In the summer average highs are around 100 degrees. I'm storing a set of unused Hoosier R7s and a set of used R7s, along with some cheaper street tires.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:01 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I thought the issue was volatilizing rubber compounds hence the reason people back their tires? I think ambient hot/cold wasn't a problem with dot-R's but an issue with real slicks cracking? I guess the real solution is get out there and race!
Old 05-26-2018, 09:44 PM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was shocked, when the toyo rr’s I was almost positive would be garbage worked amazingly well! I had two sets one new one old. The new ones were stored inside for one winter, but the 2nd winter they had to be stores outside in trailer. The used set with probably 15+ HC’s stayed in the car over the two winters and in garage in the summer.

Normally my I try to keep tires stored inside, but this was some relief for me. Obviously rr compounds pale in comparison to r7’s, but they don’t have the same 8 HC fall off that r7’s have.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:19 AM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Phoenix we can't store race tires in a trailer in the summer. The heat will ruin them in a couple months. I have had 3 sets ruined in the past 3 years. If you don't have any option, then you just suck it up as a cost of racing. Never buy new tires in late spring or early summer in the southwest. If you can remove them from the car and store them in plastic bags, that will help.

Quick Reply: Storing race tires