Sponsored by:

Looking to build an AER team

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 04:25 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

You also need to have team members who understand the concept of (and practice) mechanical sympathy.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:52 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
Regarding some of the risk factors, there are a few approaches that I've used.

1. I do have a separate corporation for motorsports, however I haven't transferred the car to it yet, although there's a high likelihood that I will (or a new one)
2. Regarding liability of drivers/insurance. The last group I rented to, we decided to have a shared cost structure on damage that was clearly proven not related to the drivers fault or a mechanical fault in the car. There was a preset cap on the total cost on the car, so worst case scenario if another racer slammed into the car caused it to go off track and it was completely totaled, the entire team would split the cost. If the driver is liable then he would pay. There is a ton of car data and in car video that would help prove who's at fault.
3. I have two contracts all drivers have to sign.
4. Some teams do setup escrow accounts, but that's asking too much, and not commonly done.
5. As stated in my original post, having the right drivers is not just someone who's fast, but also reasonible and financially secure. As all drivers will interview me and the car, I will interview them, including getting references and reviewing drivers in car race video.

Let's face it, in general every time we get in a race car we take a risk. We all try to minimize these risks as much as possible, but there will always be some risks.
Sounds reasonable. I asked as I have been mulling this over. I have a few people in my network who would be great to race with from a driver perspective, except their mentality is more of the Lemons/Champ. They see the $1000-2000 max limit for those lower racing series and do not equate that to how much time and money I put into developing my car to an AER Class 2/3 level. I already wrote off my car once (my sole responsibility) and the rebuild costs are staggering in terms of time and money (you literally throw away $$$$ in safety gear after every major incident just to start).

Good luck with the team! I actually told one of my friends who is reasonable about your request as he was at NJMP this weekend and has some AER experience.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:05 AM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As some of us start thinking about our plans for 2019 I wanted to RE-bump this thread. Still would love to put an AER team together, but need to find the right drivers.

Im open to different teaming options, as well as testing the waters first type of options.

Bottom line, if someone is looking for great racing, at a low relative cost, in an amazingly fun car, this is an awesome option to think about.

thanks!
Justin
Old 11-18-2018, 11:42 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Hey Justin, if you can't get traction here I know there are always a bunch of seats open on good and competitive up-and-running AER teams.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:21 PM
greyman09
Track Day

Once I get more experience racing I would like to be part of a team like this in the future.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:39 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

I'm going to race PCA this year but would like to get a seat for at least one AER race this year - preferably WGI.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:45 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Am interested as well. Especially wgi , NJMP
Old 11-18-2018, 09:41 PM
josserman
Instructor

I would be very happy to just do WGI, NJMP, and Palmer next year.

6 x 90min stints each. Last race we had 4 drivers, 2 would have double stints each day, but it can certainly split up in other ways. You also get Friday qualifying and practice day 1/2 of which you can run your street car if you’d like. Lots of track time!

If interested shoot me a pm, as if I can put the team together, I’ll make a few changes to the car this winter.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:33 PM
mannym5
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

PM sent
Old 11-19-2018, 05:57 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

You better be in shape by Pitt Race. That track beats you up pretty good in an hour.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:13 PM
josserman
Instructor

Hey Guys -

Thanks for all the interest and PM's. It's encouraging, and I hope we can form a team. Wanted to share some quick update on specifics.
  • $2,500 a seat for 3 x 90min sessions plus equal use on Friday's test day, being mindful of any mechanical/setup work we need to do. You can also use your own car the first 1/2 of Friday (included in the registration fee)
  • Fault damage would be paid by driver with a cap, no fault damage can either be driver responsibility or shared responsibility with the team (kind of like an insurance policy).
  • Mechanical failures not caused by the driver would be on me. There is a ton of data in the car that can be used to help determine fault.
  • I'd be open to doing a full season, but would probably prefer doing WGI, Palmer, and NJMP.
I am open to getting a team of guys together and selling off shares of the car, either as a one time payment or over the course of multiple races.

If anyone wants to use the car for other events outside of AER, please PM me details, and I am happy to consider it with or without support.
Also, if anyone has garage space and/or space for a 28' enclosed trailer in lower Fairfield County, please lmk as I'm paying my boatyard to store it now, and it's not the most ideal scenario.

Thanks!
Justin
Old 11-28-2018, 09:40 PM
kevin12973
Racer

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I'm going to race PCA this year but would like to get a seat for at least one AER race this year - preferably WGI.
Unfortunately, WGI runs the same weekend as Lime Rock PCA. AER takes quite a few drivers away that weekend. Cant blame them for wanting to race Sunday too.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:05 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin12973
Unfortunately, WGI runs the same weekend as Lime Rock PCA. AER takes quite a few drivers away that weekend. Cant blame them for wanting to race Sunday too.
PCA LRP is April 25-27 this year so no conflict. A week or two later than normal so it should be sweltering!
Old 11-28-2018, 11:30 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin12973
AER WGI is the same weekend as PCA Road Atlanta in 2019. Not sure how many PCA racers are making a choice between the two, but the SPB crew that I run with have been contemplating a go at the AER season and missing the Glen would put a damper on that
Old 11-29-2018, 08:07 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32

AER WGI is the same weekend as PCA Road Atlanta in 2019. Not sure how many PCA racers are making a choice between the two, but the SPB crew that I run with have been contemplating a go at the AER season and missing the Glen would put a damper on that
so just come down to Road Atlanta in February with AER. A bunch of us are voting with our wallets and running full season AER vs doing any pca.

Quick Reply: Looking to build an AER team