Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen CR in 9 days and no trash talk??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 02:51 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

Exactly! There are two ways to communicate your intention to faster guys that are about to pass you: a) car position and b) hand signals. I’d suggest you use both but not your blinker.
I'd rather ask it here and get the right answer than try it on track and see what happens

Funny when I did the Driving experience with the 488 and Cup cars in Vegas that's how their instructors communicate. Each one has a hand held indicator controller and they use it to tell the instructor behind what side to take the pass on. Was very cool.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I think a signal would be confusing at best, just be predictable and the cup(s) will be by you in a flash. If you give it some thought you can actually use the timing as part of your strategy to jam up a competitor.. not that I ever did that.
Agreed
Old 05-25-2018, 03:37 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Agreed
It's all good, we're clear now, just point to the side of the track I am going to, I got it I'm KIDDING!!!
Old 05-25-2018, 04:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
It's all good, we're clear now, just point to the side of the track I am going to, I got it I'm KIDDING!!!
What oil and brake fluid will you be using?
Old 05-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

What oil and brake fluid will you be using?
Fluids? I took them all out as I figured they were extra weight and all their sloshing around would throw off my CG
Old 05-25-2018, 04:55 PM
cmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree with the hand signal comment however. If I am on line and I point someone by off line to let them know I have seen them I am doing it as a form of communication. If it makes it safer for both cars I don't see how it can be counter productive. I don't see how over communicating with out of class cars at all could be counterproductive as long as you are remaining predictable simultaneously.

Hmmm just driving in the middle seems like a poor solution as it means the car behind is left to guess what you are doing.Now you aren't predictable at all. Is he going to stay in the middle, go left, go right, who knows, it seems Gary said be predictable which would mean do what you do every other lap, stay on line and try to work out where the pass can be made with the least impact to both cars, not just stay in the middle of the track.
I was in this position @ Summit last year when SPC was in with the Cups/GTB and was basically a rolling chicane... Lots of flashbacks to my early DE days with all the point-bys and traffic management. I actually had a guy come up and thank me after the race for helping him out with a good point-by and give me beer...
Old 05-25-2018, 04:57 PM
cmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
... and if I break 2:14 beers for everyone on me
Joe, if it's on Rennlist it's basically a legally binding contract--so don't listen to Frank. We'll be monitoring your times carefully!
Old 05-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cmac
Joe, if it's on Rennlist it's basically a legally binding contract--so don't listen to Frank. We'll be monitoring your times carefully!
Lol!

Joe will do superbly
Old 05-25-2018, 05:24 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Lol!

Joe will do superbly

If I do break 2:14 it'll be because of the awesome coaching I've had so far this year
Old 05-26-2018, 10:20 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
I promise if a faster SPB catches me in the corner, I will absolutely give the pass. How else can I find a "rabbit" to chase? According to Rennpoints I'll be several seconds behind the next closest F car so a SPB that turns 2:15-16 would be perfect for me to follow, and it looks like there are a couple SPB guys at that pace. I had some "pro" lessons this week at the TrackMasters event so I have high hopes, but I also had my engine tested and it's a little down on power so I'm realistic. If I can break 2:16 consistently I'll be happy, and if I break 2:14 beers for everyone on me

Still focused though on running a clean race with no drama. Learned some hard lessons my first year, and the single most important aspect for me is just to finish both races clean, and if I happen to have some good laps more the better. I am excited, though, to try and put what I learned to work!
Lots of good advice (and noise, this is RL, am I right?) here, but don't be too nice, JP. That screwed you at LRP...

Plus, this idea of predicting or being "wedded" to lap times or a lap time goal is absurd.

You don't KNOW what is going to happen, what the conditions will be, where your head will be or how well you'll perform... All you can do is focus on execution of the last two things.

Improve the performance of EVERY individual skill execution in the car, DON'T waste time and the lap time, and your position relative to the other cars, will take care of itself.

Plus, it's NOT static throughout the weekend. Some folks start strong and fade, some are slow learners, some summon it all together when they most need it. Execute the PLAN, Joe! Good luck.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-26-2018, 10:37 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Run groups are up!
Where are they posted?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-26-2018, 10:46 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi

Where are they posted?

Thanks in advance!

Clubreg
Old 05-26-2018, 01:25 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,286 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Plus, this idea of predicting or being "wedded" to lap times or a lap time goal is absurd.

You don't KNOW what is going to happen, what the conditions will be, where your head will be or how well you'll perform... All you can do is focus on execution of the last two things.

Improve the performance of EVERY individual skill execution in the car, DON'T waste time and the lap time, and your position relative to the other cars, will take care of itself.

Plus, it's NOT static throughout the weekend. Some folks start strong and fade, some are slow learners, some summon it all together when they most need it. Execute the PLAN, Joe! Good luck.
This.

A 2:05 at WGI one day may actually mean you drove better than a 2:01 lap the next day. Sometimes it is the conditions and the ebb and flow of the race that make the biggest difference.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:46 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
This.

A 2:05 at WGI one day may actually mean you drove better than a 2:01 lap the next day. Sometimes it is the conditions and the ebb and flow of the race that make the biggest difference.
This and one of the first things my coach told me was that it wasn't about going out to set one fast lap it was about gradually making your fast laps your consistent laps and then searching for more... A single 2:06 in a sea of 2:09's is a fluke, 10 2:06's in a row is when you know you have started to find your true pace. Then you work to see where you can move to a high 2:05. I prefer to see 10 lap times within a second of each other than one outlier any day.
Just my .02
Old 05-26-2018, 02:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

A single 2:06 in a sea of 2:09's is a fluke, 10 2:06's in a row is when you know you have started to find your true pace.

Then you work to see where you can move to a high 2:05.

I prefer to see 10 lap times within a second of each other than one outlier any day.
I like your coach...

10 2:06's in a row means you're driving very consistently, at your comfort level.

Then, you sit down with your coach and the data and identify what you've done in that great, tight target grouping that will PUT you in the 2:05's (or better, if combined with other isolated moments of brilliance).

Yes, an outlier is usually because lightning struck and you can' replicate it, which means you didn't have a PLAN to do it and don't know how to DO IT AGAIN!

Have fun at the Glen, Rennlisters!

I'm racing at VIR in my own car and will try to take all this advice to heart!

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen CR in 9 days and no trash talk??