Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen CR in 9 days and no trash talk??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 04:55 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
You have an F class Boxster, you better be in front of the SPBs!! One word of friendly advice, please don't be that guy that has a lower class car up his butt and walks away every straight only to rinse and repeat corner after corner..
I promise if a faster SPB catches me in the corner, I will absolutely give the pass. How else can I find a "rabbit" to chase? According to Rennpoints I'll be several seconds behind the next closest F car so a SPB that turns 2:15-16 would be perfect for me to follow, and it looks like there are a couple SPB guys at that pace. I had some "pro" lessons this week at the TrackMasters event so I have high hopes, but I also had my engine tested and it's a little down on power so I'm realistic. If I can break 2:16 consistently I'll be happy, and if I break 2:14 beers for everyone on me

Still focused though on running a clean race with no drama. Learned some hard lessons my first year, and the single most important aspect for me is just to finish both races clean, and if I happen to have some good laps more the better. I am excited, though, to try and put what I learned to work!
Old 05-24-2018, 07:03 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

You have an F class Boxster, you better be in front of the SPBs!! One word of friendly advice, please don't be that guy that has a lower class car up his butt and walks away every straight only to rinse and repeat corner after corner..
You should make a PSA.

I will probably regret saying it but I haven't found it to be as much of a problem at the glen since there are a couple of places where you can draft them and then stuff it in when they throw out the anchor. Some other tracks are much harder.

Good luck Joe. I think I'm going to need at least low 13s to keep up with Hunt but will bump draft for beers.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:55 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
I promise if a faster SPB catches me in the corner, I will absolutely give the pass. How else can I find a "rabbit" to chase? According to Rennpoints I'll be several seconds behind the next closest F car so a SPB that turns 2:15-16 would be perfect for me to follow, and it looks like there are a couple SPB guys at that pace. I had some "pro" lessons this week at the TrackMasters event so I have high hopes, but I also had my engine tested and it's a little down on power so I'm realistic. If I can break 2:16 consistently I'll be happy, and if I break 2:14 beers for everyone on me

Still focused though on running a clean race with no drama. Learned some hard lessons my first year, and the single most important aspect for me is just to finish both races clean, and if I happen to have some good laps more the better. I am excited, though, to try and put what I learned to work!
Joe - just relax and have fun. Any SPB with a similar lap time to you will get there in a very different way so those are NOT the appropriate rabbits to chase. Just run your race and be mindful not to interfere with people racing against each other in other classes, It will rain for Qualifying and on Sunday so everything will be upside down anyway.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:33 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
Hoping to not destroy the car from pole this year.
One glory qualifying lap doesn't win races. See you at the front

(How's that for trash talk)
Old 05-25-2018, 12:38 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

Joe - just relax and have fun. Any SPB with a similar lap time to you will get there in a very different way so those are NOT the appropriate rabbits to chase. Just run your race and be mindful not to interfere with people racing against each other in other classes, It will rain for Qualifying and on Sunday so everything will be upside down anyway.
So just an etiquette question, especially for Sunday with the Cups in the Enduro... I see it quite often especially in the EU where the car being passed will actually put a signal on to the side they know the pass is coming which I assume is as much to tell the approaching car I saw you and I'm not going to do anything stupid or move over as you approach as it is to tell them which side to pass on.

Is that a yay or nay? Will I cause more confusion than good? I know above all else obviously to be predictable and that I can still point by from inside the car but that can be difficult to see sometimes with the cage etc...
I did however change my gloves from blue which matched the car to red so my hands can be more clearly seen just for that reason.
Thoughts?
Old 05-25-2018, 12:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
So just an etiquette question, especially for Sunday with the Cups in the Enduro... I see it quite often especially in the EU where the car being passed will actually put a signal on to the side they know the pass is coming which I assume is as much to tell the approaching car I saw you and I'm not going to do anything stupid or move over as you approach as it is to tell them which side to pass on.

Is that a yay or nay? Will I cause more confusion than good? I know above all else obviously to be predictable and that I can still point by from inside the car but that can be difficult to see sometimes with the cage etc...
I did however change my gloves from blue which matched the car to red so my hands can be more clearly seen just for that reason.
Thoughts?
I think a signal would be confusing at best, just be predictable and the cup(s) will be by you in a flash. If you give it some thought you can actually use the timing as part of your strategy to jam up a competitor.. not that I ever did that.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:02 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

I think a signal would be confusing at best, just be predictable and the cup(s) will be by you in a flash. If you give it some thought you can actually use the timing as part of your strategy to jam up a competitor.. not that I ever did that.
Thanks Gary... That's why I asked. I certainly don't want to add to confusion. At l;east I changed the color of my gloves...

Haha, worry about jamming up a competitor, that's a good one, the only thing I care about is being safe, healthy, having fun and not impacting mine or anyone else's weekend!! If (when) that means people get past me then so be it I'll still be the one with the big smile on
Old 05-25-2018, 01:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Thanks Gary... That's why I asked. I certainly don't want to add to confusion. At l;east I changed the color of my gloves...

Haha, worry about jamming up a competitor, that's a good one, the only thing I care about is being safe, healthy, having fun and not impacting mine or anyone else's weekend!! If (when) that means people get past me then so be it I'll still be the one with the big smile on
From what I hear Paul there won't be many people passing you!
Old 05-25-2018, 01:13 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

From what I hear Paul there won't be many people passing you!
Ha, tough to pass the guy running dead last until the really quick guys find me again
Thanks again Gary!
Old 05-25-2018, 01:26 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Thoughts?
I have pointed with my hands letting them know that I see them and it is OK to take a corner. Main thing is just to stay on line and be predictable.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:35 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

for whatever its worth with all my experience of just a single race...

I do the same as Luigi...if I see a faster car coming and a corner is coming up and it makes sense I will point to let them know I have seen them and they can take the corner.
I see it as part of being predictable....
Old 05-25-2018, 02:00 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Thoughts?
In Europe (and ROW) a blinker indicates the side that the passed car will be taking, i.e. that there will be room left on the opposite side for the passing car. In the US, unless clearly sanctioned and prescribed by the rules, blinkers would be confusing at best. Even hand signals could be counter-productive in cases with large speed/class differentials as oftentimes the slower car could point to the side that is less amenable for a smooth pass with the least amount of time lost for both cars.

As Gary said, the best a much slower car could do is to anticipate and time the pass so that it occurs at the time and place/side that loses the least amount of time for both cars. Most of the time the best side is pretty obvious to both cars so no point-by is needed. When things happen too fast, when in doubt, and without clear knowledge of where and on which side the most efficient pass could take place, I just leave room on both sides and take the middle. I wouldn't "stay on line" and go for the edges of the track (turn in, apex, track out) unless I'm sure that the much faster car is on the other side.

Last edited by hf1; 05-25-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:30 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I have pointed with my hands letting them know that I see them and it is OK to take a corner. Main thing is just to stay on line and be predictable.
Yep, I will communicate with my hands in the car as well, that one was a given and it's why I got the bright red gloves LOL!! I was just curious about the turn signal thing and seems the consensus is nope just be predictable and continue to communicate with the hands.

Now that I think about it, it makes sense they do it over there, a lot of the mid engine and single seater cars there is no way to even see the drivers hands from behind so signal is their only means of communication... Yep, light bulb finally came on someone must have re-connected the power.

Last edited by Paul Solk; 05-25-2018 at 02:30 PM. Reason: changed about tit to about it...
Old 05-25-2018, 02:41 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hf1
In Europe (and ROW) a blinker indicates the side that the passed car will be taking, i.e. that there will be room left on the opposite side for the passing car. In the US, unless clearly sanctioned and prescribed by the rules, blinkers would be confusing at best. Even hand signals could be counter-productive in cases with large speed/class differentials as oftentimes the slower car could point to the side that is less amenable for a smooth pass with the least amount of time lost for both cars.

As Gary said, the best a much slower car could do is to anticipate and time the pass so that it occurs at the time and place/side that loses the least amount of time for both cars. Most of the time the best side is pretty obvious to both cars so no point-by is needed. When things happen too fast, when in doubt, and without clear knowledge of where and on which side the most efficient pass could take place, I just leave room on both sides and take the middle. I wouldn't "stay on line" and go for the edges of the track (turn in, apex, track out) unless I'm sure that the much faster car is on the other side.
Yes, I understand all of this. It's why I was asking if it is used over here. It is very common in the ROW for the car being passed to put on a right blinker to indicate to the trailing car to pass on the right...

I disagree with the hand signal comment however. If I am on line and I point someone by off line to let them know I have seen them I am doing it as a form of communication. If it makes it safer for both cars I don't see how it can be counter productive. I don't see how over communicating with out of class cars at all could be counterproductive as long as you are remaining predictable simultaneously.

Hmmm just driving in the middle seems like a poor solution as it means the car behind is left to guess what you are doing.Now you aren't predictable at all. Is he going to stay in the middle, go left, go right, who knows, it seems Gary said be predictable which would mean do what you do every other lap, stay on line and try to work out where the pass can be made with the least impact to both cars, not just stay in the middle of the track.

Not turning into the Apex if you think someone is there should just be a given and understanding what racing room means in PCA and where it needs to be given is different entirely...
Old 05-25-2018, 02:48 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
for whatever its worth with all my experience of just a single race...

I do the same as Luigi...if I see a faster car coming and a corner is coming up and it makes sense I will point to let them know I have seen them and they can take the corner.
I see it as part of being predictable....
Exactly! There are two ways to communicate your intention to faster guys that are about to pass you: a) car position and b) hand signals. I’d suggest you use both but not your blinker.

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen CR in 9 days and no trash talk??