Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA or NASA Car class?

Old 05-22-2018, 12:45 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SCCA or NASA Car class?

Conversation came up about car classes in SCCA and NASA.... actually, in general.

1999 996 C2 with a 3.4 to 3.8l conversion and complete solid end suspension running on R-comps.

The statement that I'd like to refute is "Your car won't class out anywhere. It's a track ****."

Somewhere in the 380hp range, weight of 2800 dry or so.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:16 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

NASA has power to weight classes based on your average hp over the top of the power band and your weight with driver and fuel. You are likely in the 8-1 class st/tt-2. There are some modifications to the ratio for running smaller tires or having a sequential, but not many of them seem likely to apply to you.

Can't say about SCCA.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:05 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

What do you mean by "class out"? Won't find a class? If that's the issue, then NASA has 2 classes you can run--ST as Kevin said, and GTS (again, power to weight is the only rule).
Old 05-22-2018, 03:09 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For SCCA autocross it would fall into XP, though you'd have to input wheel and tire size into the minimum weight calculations to see if you're legal. I think you're actually a couple hundred pounds too heavy.

So yeah, the statement is incorrect. Your car falls into multiple classes for multiple governing bodies.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

In SCCA Road Racing, the 996 fits in two classes, GT2 (which is a Cup car class) and T1 (which may or may not allow the engine swap, you'd need to look at the rules).

There are many cars in SCCA that are not prepared to the limit of the rules for the class, but because they meet the basics (make/model/year/engine size/wheel and tire size/weight) for the class, and meet the safety regulations (cage, seat, fire extinguisher, harnesses, etc), they can run.

SCCA Road Racing classes are much tighter and more restrictive than NASA. GTS and ST in NASA are probably your best bet.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-22-2018, 03:41 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
Conversation came up about car classes in SCCA and NASA.... actually, in general.

1999 996 C2 with a 3.4 to 3.8l conversion and complete solid end suspension running on R-comps.

The statement that I'd like to refute is "Your car won't class out anywhere. It's a track ****."

It fits perfectly in SCCA ITE, and possibly in GT2 (cup cars) and perfectly in NASA GTS5 and perfectly in NASA ST2
Old 05-22-2018, 05:12 PM
JarheadGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue Chip

Like others have said, you would easily class in either ST (Super Touring) or GTS (German Touring Series) with NASA - both are structured via power-to-weight formulas (though ST is less than ideal unless you go ST2 or higher, due to some calculation factors that benefit BMWs and other sedans). Depending on what your HP is at the wheels, you would probably slot right into GTS4. GTS uses an average HP number to plug into the calculator in order to help level the playing field between peaky Porsche power curves and the flatter curves in engine swapped BMWs. Weight is based on race weight - for example, my NASA car is 2866 dry, but it races somewhere between 3150-3250 depending on fuel load and how many burgers I ate that weekend. Pro tip...if you're at the bottom of one class (e.g., GTS5), detune a little bit to fit into the next lower class...will give you torque advantage, and help combat the S54/S65 swapped BMWs.

SCCA I've found is a bit more difficult to class non-stock Porsches. The few times I've run SCCA, I've run in the T1 class as Peter mentioned, though it was less than ideal. Some SCCA regions have begun experimenting with bracket racing, which I've also tried and found to be pretty fun/competitive, and more open in terms of car compliance/classing.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:06 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
For SCCA autocross it would fall into XP, though you'd have to input wheel and tire size into the minimum weight calculations to see if you're legal. I think you're actually a couple hundred pounds too heavy.

So yeah, the statement is incorrect. Your car falls into multiple classes for multiple governing bodies.
SSM not XP.

Peter
Old 05-22-2018, 09:38 PM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take the suggestions here on class options, and see what the attendance in your regional areas look like. I’d also look at qualifying times and see how that compares to what you run. I ran st2 in a supercharged s2000 for a few years. It was fun, but the corvettes dominate there, especially w longer tracks. GTS seems to be a revolving door of class changes, and a lot of folks have gotten frustrated and moved to ST. ITE ehh catch all.

i think st2 or t1 despite vetts is your best bet, but t again check past event attendance and results!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SCCA or NASA Car class?