Sponsored by:

Alignment for 987 Cayman S track car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 02:20 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Alignment for 987 Cayman S track car?

(I also posted this in the 987 forum but am reposting here to catch the attention of more track junkies).

This season I'm driving a new-to-me 2006 Cayman S dedicated DE car and I'm still figuring out how to set it up for the track. The car is 100% track and never sees the street. Currently my alignment specs are;

-2.4 deg F camber
0 deg F toe per side

-2.4 deg R camber
.06 deg R toe-in per side

The suspension is highly modified with JRZ Spec Cayman coilovers (700 lb/in front, 800 lb/in rear) and monoball Tarett control arms and links everywhere. Tires are Pilot Sport Cup 2's. It also has a Guard LSD.

I've done a few track days so far and I'm seeing a bit more tire wear on the outside shoulders of the front and rear tires than on the inside shoulders. I'm thinking of adding a bit more negative camber in the interest of extending tire life. How does -2.7 deg of camber sound for front and rear?

I've also found the rear end of the car sometimes fishtails a bit under hard braking from high speed. This could be a lot of things but I'm wondering if more toe-in on the rear, maybe another 0.1 deg, would help improve rear end stability. How does .16 deg rear toe-in per side sound?
Old 05-16-2018, 03:38 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

There's tons of info on this but move F to at least -3.0, R to -2.5 The LSD should have fixed the braking problem.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:08 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try increasing the rear toe setting. Not sure what wheel size/tire you are running ,but we try -1.6mm-2.0mm per side and see how it behaves under braking. Your alignment tech should easily be able to set his machine up to read MM instead of angle....

Cheers

Quick Reply: Alignment for 987 Cayman S track car?