Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much do you spend on this DE/racing hobby ?

Old 05-15-2018, 07:05 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default How much do you spend on this DE/racing hobby ?

There is a lot of guarded talks of how crazy expensive this hobby can get.
I am just wondering how it scales up from the entry level DE category.

I know this is tricky to quantify, since there are many variables, and irregular (black swan) expenses.
How often you go racing, what sort of car you have, how often you crash or money shift, engine rebuild every X years, etc.

I know the hobby starts out at quite a reasonable and affordable level
Here is a hypothetical entry level casual street car DE guy:
Local DE = $300. Gas, tolls, food = $50. Three events a year = $1000
Street tires every 3 years. Pro-rated to $250/season
Street brake pads every 3 years. Pro-rated to $50/season
Bleed brakes = $20/season.
One paid Tech Form for $100/season
This all comes out to $1500 a year.

The example above is at the lowest level hypothetical.
I'm curious about some scenarios at the various levels above this.

Anyone willing to share what sort of costs they incur?

Last edited by sugarwood; 05-15-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Where’s the popcorn 🍿 emoji in the mobile app?

People spend what they can afford. For as long as they enjoy it. So many components to this equation.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:11 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Probably close to 100k
Just tires are what 40k ?

2x gtb1 cars,
We travel from montreal, canada all over the us
7-8 races each
Motorhome 350k , budget 2-3k of fuel for a long drive(sebring, vir, road america)
Food: 300$ per we
Race fuel 2-3k per we
Track support: 1500$-2000$

My old days of DE were so cheap

And id like as a personal goal one day to race at semi pro level $$$$ ?
Old 05-15-2018, 07:12 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 515 Likes on 276 Posts

First rule of DE/Racing club...don’t talk about DE/Racing costs...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 05-15-2018, 07:28 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

worst post ever - we never kiss and tell nor do we add up costs . Spend as much as you can afford we only live once
Old 05-15-2018, 07:31 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Mods....can we close this thread?

Old 05-15-2018, 07:43 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

This question was asked before.,. My wife had the perfect answer..

How much does it cost? .... How much do you have?
Old 05-15-2018, 07:43 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Mods....can we close this thread?

Amen.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:58 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
Thanks for sharing.

If you don't like this thread, you don't have to read it.
Some prospective racers may be very interested in this topic.
Please respect their right to have a conversation.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:06 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Try a search also, I recall a very similar thread recently. Either here or possibly in the 991 GT3 section. Just my observation, as one advances tires become a dominant component. With a modern Porsche GT it's not hard to spend over $1k per day. Of course it's also possible to spend much less with a lighter, less powerful car.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:08 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

I had a similar question and posted I was negotiating with my wife for a return to DEs after a crash. I got a lot of great responses. The best was if your wife finds out how much this costs she will undertake retaliatory spending. I laughed so hard - it is very true, and my wife is not a huge spender at all (I am lucky).
A DE weekend is ~$1000 for me. The insurance is about the same as the DE entry fee costs (my home track is VIR). I have semi-negotiated a $5k/year budget, thinking that I will do 3 a year and buy some miscellaneous things. I managed to get my headers ceramic coated without her knowing, but it is on my budget list. So, when I get "audited" all the expenses will be there. Better to ask forgiveness than permission.
I don't think the Cup 2s will go 3 seasons, but the brake pads might and rotors surely will. I have some Tarret brake caliper studs and went to put those in and change pads before a DE in March, but I started looking at the pads and they were not even close to being 50% worn - maybe they had 80% left. So, I just bled them and put the tires back on. Yeah! I will bleed them and change most of the fluid before each event - so maybe $60 instead of $20/year. I'll also do the oil before or after each event - so add another $100/season for me.
An expensive hobby...
Old 05-15-2018, 08:46 PM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Had a mechanic that for one of the racing customers he had to write up 3 bills- one for the wife to see, one for the accountant, then the real one.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:47 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before too many folks get scared away from DE... as a newbie 5k a year for 5-6 events is totally doable...

hpde $150-300
gas $50
transportation? Hey, I was going to drive someplace anyway.., 0$
Insurance? Uh. Maybe I just drive slower.
hotel? Nope. Drive there and back. Live within 2 hours of RA, Milwaukee mile, and Blackhawk.
tires? Well, the car needs those anyway. Last a couple years...$800 tirerack
brake pads? Yeah. 600$ a season...

thats $3000 on a frugal budget...

now, that doesn't include repairs ( 930 lost the ability to shift last year...its in pieces)
doesnt include buying toys, like trailers or a back up car...

because, you would have spent that money anyway... right?

so with my semitwisted logic, this is really affordable...

and as a hint, if you tell your wife hpde and auto cross allow you time to bond with your kids... then it's painless...

some further food food for thought. Loved driving the 930 on the track. Now have a way cheesier BMW z3. Car is much less capable, but equally fun...
Old 05-15-2018, 08:48 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
I had a similar question and posted I was negotiating with my wife for a return to DEs after a crash. I got a lot of great responses. The best was if your wife finds out how much this costs she will undertake retaliatory spending. I laughed so hard - it is very true, and my wife is not a huge spender at all (I am lucky).
A DE weekend is ~$1000 for me. The insurance is about the same as the DE entry fee costs (my home track is VIR). I have semi-negotiated a $5k/year budget, thinking that I will do 3 a year and buy some miscellaneous things. I managed to get my headers ceramic coated without her knowing, but it is on my budget list. So, when I get "audited" all the expenses will be there. Better to ask forgiveness than permission.
I don't think the Cup 2s will go 3 seasons, but the brake pads might and rotors surely will. I have some Tarret brake caliper studs and went to put those in and change pads before a DE in March, but I started looking at the pads and they were not even close to being 50% worn - maybe they had 80% left. So, I just bled them and put the tires back on. Yeah! I will bleed them and change most of the fluid before each event - so maybe $60 instead of $20/year. I'll also do the oil before or after each event - so add another $100/season for me.
An expensive hobby...
I like your wife comment, but yikes, brake fluid and oil for every event and your expecting 3 seasons for the pads. Invest your money in coaching instead of all that brake fluid and oil changes. The brake fluid, if high end, is good for summer season. I mean that's why your putting in decent fluid so it does not boil. And oil changes every event is really OCD especially with the low wear rate on your parts and the high end oil we use. CUP2's running at speed have a good 12-16 sessions in them and that's it before they fall off significantly. If you are not wearing them this quickly you really are not putting a strain on the other parts/fluids. Costs of DE (not racing) in the Black and upper run groups is easily $800-$1000 per day for all costs (tires, brakes, gas, hotel, entry fee, meals) not including the car, modifications, and track only insurance.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:04 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
An expensive hobby...
Who said that? Hmmmm?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much do you spend on this DE/racing hobby ?