Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much do you spend on this DE/racing hobby ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 07:46 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Nice.
But I'd like my death bed to be my car. The problem is I want to be cremated.
If your car is a Pinto, this will happen naturally.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:23 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Those are some scary figures! Is the increased cost for earlier engine/trans rebuilds?
Actually, sounds pretty reasonable.

i think a lot of people kid themselves about what it costs... especially to do it reasonably well.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:43 AM
MoD
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends on what you’re racing I guess. A stock class car on Hoosiers without trackside support is a 5-6k a weekend endeavor. To run competitive in GTB1 it looks like this:

2-3 sets of Pirellis (if you run 2 by the next track day you’re buying a 3rd anyways) @ 2400 a set = 7200

Prep before event - 1000-1500 depending on what car needs

Fuel - 1500 or so

Trackside support - Good shops 500-850 a day x 3-4 days say roughly 2000-2500

Misc consumables (brakes, parts that wear out etc) -1500

Registration -1000 (est)

hotel and transport -1000-1500 depending on where you stay.

If you sneak away for less than 15k all in per weekend you’ve done well. The thing is a decent PWC or IMSA ST seat isn’t much more than this and you don’t have to worry about maintenance on the car long run. It’s really been messing with me and making me think about doing Arrive and Drives in a pro series on a lower level (TC in PWC or ST with IMSA even though I know this is the last year for that). All in all it’s a lot of money and Every weekend hurts my pocket book a lot but it’s the only thing that truly gets me away from the crazy 100 hour work weeks and stress of day to day life! My hashtag is #IWorkToRace
Old 05-25-2018, 02:52 AM
MoD
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paseb
Probably close to 100k
Just tires are what 40k ?

2x gtb1 cars,
We travel from montreal, canada all over the us
7-8 races each
Motorhome 350k , budget 2-3k of fuel for a long drive(sebring, vir, road america)
Food: 300$ per we
Race fuel 2-3k per we
Track support: 1500$-2000$

My old days of DE were so cheap

And id like as a personal goal one day to race at semi pro level $$$$ ?
Seb you could probably do 4-5 pro races with your budget and you’d do pretty well against the pros too. Let’s sell the Caymans and go share a car!
Old 05-25-2018, 08:58 AM
HitApex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

997 GT3 at local HPDE. $1000/day average (fees, consumables, and maintenance).
Old 05-25-2018, 10:03 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MoD
Depends on what you’re racing I guess. A stock class car on Hoosiers without trackside support is a 5-6k a weekend endeavor. To run competitive in GTB1 it looks like this:

2-3 sets of Pirellis (if you run 2 by the next track day you’re buying a 3rd anyways) @ 2400 a set = 7200

Prep before event - 1000-1500 depending on what car needs

Fuel - 1500 or so

Trackside support - Good shops 500-850 a day x 3-4 days say roughly 2000-2500

Misc consumables (brakes, parts that wear out etc) -1500

Registration -1000 (est)

hotel and transport -1000-1500 depending on where you stay.

If you sneak away for less than 15k all in per weekend you’ve done well. The thing is a decent PWC or IMSA ST seat isn’t much more than this and you don’t have to worry about maintenance on the car long run. It’s really been messing with me and making me think about doing Arrive and Drives in a pro series on a lower level (TC in PWC or ST with IMSA even though I know this is the last year for that). All in all it’s a lot of money and Every weekend hurts my pocket book a lot but it’s the only thing that truly gets me away from the crazy 100 hour work weeks and stress of day to day life! My hashtag is #IWorkToRace
This is insane, and exactly the kind of post that helps people get a sense.
I have no idea what those various classes mean (stock class, GTB1, PWC, IMSA ST, etc)
But, I had no idea $15k for a weekend was even in this universe.

This is a far far cry from a $500 DE day!

How many hours of driving are typically done in these advanced racing events?
$1500 in gas ?? 3 sets of tires??
Old 05-25-2018, 10:20 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MoD

Seb you could probably do 4-5 pro races with your budget and you’d do pretty well against the pros too. Let’s sell the Caymans and go share a car!
Old 05-25-2018, 02:34 PM
MoD
Instructor

Originally Posted by FFaust
Haha flame suit on, but here is what I think. He can do a TCA or Conti ST seat for 15-17.5k a race. Can do a TC seat for about 20k. If you look at the fastest guys in GTB1, Carlos Gomez just won the 24 hours of the Ring and is a heck of a driver. Seb and Carlos diced it out both winning races at Road America last year. I am not saying he is going to go beat Jordan Taylor, but the fastest guys in GTB1 can jump into the entry level pro parts and do well. When you see guys like Cory F and those guys do well and podium in PWC it is because they are great drivers both in PCA and pro driving. No one said our Seb is going to hang with Seb Vettel lol! Ok hopefully I can take my flame suit off now
Old 05-25-2018, 02:43 PM
MoD
Instructor

Originally Posted by sugarwood
This is insane, and exactly the kind of post that helps people get a sense.
I have no idea what those various classes mean (stock class, GTB1, PWC, IMSA ST, etc)
But, I had no idea $15k for a weekend was even in this universe.

This is a far far cry from a $500 DE day!

How many hours of driving are typically done in these advanced racing events?
$1500 in gas ?? 3 sets of tires??
You get not that much more seat time than you do at DEs, but honestly once you've raced wheel to wheel the DEs seem a little boring. If you want the BEST bang for the buck do the David Murray days that are green flag all day. There is nothing that gives you more track time.

Stock Classes are classes in PCA where the cars are closer to stock than GT racing. There are guys in stock classes spending 10k plus a weekend too, but the big difference is tire savings. Running full slicks vs Hoosiers for example can change the cost of your weekend 4-5k. You also can get away in most stock classes by rolling your car off the trailer and running it yourself. Yes some stock class cars have teams too, but for the most part to be able to win races in the GTB1, GTC(3-6) GTA, GTD type classes you are going to have a crew that you are paying daily. Crew and tires change things dramatically in costs.

PWC is Pirelli World Challenge which is pro racing, but at its lower level. There are some amazing pros that show up to a lot of their races, but generally it is thought as a step or two below IMSA. IMSA within IMSA itself has several different series. You can run Porsche Supercup for 30k plus a weekend, you can run Lamborghini SuperTrofeo (for about what it costs to run supercup), you can run the Continental series in either ST (last year for it), TCR (new class) or GS (top of Conti series for varying costs from 15k a weekend to 50k or so a weekend). You can also run the weathertech series where if you are still club racing it is way out of your budget usually (we are talking 50k plus per weekend in the GT classes to sky is the limit in prototypes). These are all numbers quoted to me by pretty reliable sources and some soul searching I have done.

I think when you are racing in the GTA, GTB, GTC, GTD classes in PCA you are getting dangerously close to the PWC entry level costs. The question becomes do you want to race in PCA with a cup car, cayman gtb1, RSR, etc or go race a slower car at the pro level. There is no right or wrong answer. I mean for me, I love the PCA because my friends are there. None of us are getting paid to drive anything at this point so it all comes down to how you enjoy your weekend spent away from friends, family and work. I have wanted to go drive a pro car for a while now and with the start of several businesses in the last few years just couldnt justify the one off costs, but one of these days ill make the leap into the baby pool of PWC or IMSA Conti.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:51 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by MoD
Haha flame suit on, but here is what I think. He can do a TCA or Conti ST seat for 15-17.5k a race. Can do a TC seat for about 20k. If you look at the fastest guys in GTB1, Carlos Gomez just won the 24 hours of the Ring and is a heck of a driver. Seb and Carlos diced it out both winning races at Road America last year. I am not saying he is going to go beat Jordan Taylor, but the fastest guys in GTB1 can jump into the entry level pro parts and do well. When you see guys like Cory F and those guys do well and podium in PWC it is because they are great drivers both in PCA and pro driving. No one said our Seb is going to hang with Seb Vettel lol! Ok hopefully I can take my flame suit off now
I don't see much difference between some top level PCA drivers, such as Carlos, and a professional driver. Carlos has a fitness regimen that might put an F1 driver to shame. A couple of years ago we were all at Daytona and he went off on a 50 mile bike ride BETWEEN sprint races! I wouldn't want to drive a car 50 miles in between sprint races.

In addition, most of the top guys have pro instructors and work with data. This makes a huge difference and also, in keeping with the topic, adds to the cost of a weekend.

Its all about how serious you take being on track.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:01 PM
MoD
Instructor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I don't see much difference between some top level PCA drivers, such as Carlos, and a professional driver. Carlos has a fitness regimen that might put an F1 driver to shame. A couple of years ago we were all at Daytona and he went off on a 50 mile bike ride BETWEEN sprint races! I wouldn't want to drive a car 50 miles in between sprint races.

In addition, most of the top guys have pro instructors and work with data. This makes a huge difference and also, in keeping with the topic, adds to the cost of a weekend.

Its all about how serious you take being on track.
haha ya he’s in better shape than the rest of us too!!! Seb bring your boxing gear to VIR and maybe you and I can spar a few rounds between races.

Totally agree with you by the way. I didn’t even add the pro coach cost. I use Dan clarke who is amazing and I’ve learned so much from him. Adding a pro coach is maybe the most valuable thing you can do for your track skill set, but ya it def adds to the costs outlined. I also agree the top several guys in each of the classes could jump into a pro car and do well (evidenced consistently by guys like Cory F, Carlos and several others).
Old 05-25-2018, 06:55 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

How much do you spend on this DE/racing hobby ?
Too much. The track is like crack, I can't get off it. If I added up the cost the depression would cause me to do more of it. Someone should start a rehab.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:41 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

If tires are this expensive, slicks, Hoosiers, than I am guessing the best way to go fast is buying tires,
and forgetting about DE minutia like "the line". (I'm only half serious)
Old 05-26-2018, 09:01 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

If tires are this expensive, slicks, Hoosiers, than I am guessing the best way to go fast is buying tires,
and forgetting about DE minutia like "the line". (I'm only half serious)
Um - no. Tires will only make you faster if you figure out how to use them. You can see that by how slower and faster class results are usually intermixed in a Club Race. There is a wide variation in terms of how racers use tires on a specific Club Race weekend. Yes, class dependent some people use three sets a weekend and others in the same class just use one. Some can use one set of tires over several weekends.

The cost of Pro racing is a totally different animal. Buying your seat is the cheapest part.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:02 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Some can use one set of tires over several weekends..
Yup

Quick Reply: How much do you spend on this DE/racing hobby ?