Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much do you spend on this DE/racing hobby ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 02:47 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm curious about some scenarios at the various levels above this.
I'm new to the sport, but I will be glad to share the cost associated with my particular car and situation. I asked similar questions on here when I first got started and was thankful to those that gave honest answers to help me develop an expected budget. My car is a 997 GT3 Grand Am spec.

For brevity, I won't get too far into the cost of maintenance as that number goes up and down depending on how risk averse you are. Porsche puts most everything on the car on a timer. Those intervals are calculated from wear that occurs at greater rates than what most see from club racing so some stretch the intervals to save money.

I decided to go the "arrive and drive" route, so a shop takes care of everything car related. I started out as a self supporter but quickly determined I was in over my head due to the complexity of these cars. Arrive and drive with the right shop supporting your car allows you to concentrate on becoming a better racer which is why I'm here.

The cost for a three day event run between 9-10K with just under 5K of that going to tires (assuming 2 sets, no rains). The rest is race gas, race prep, crew support, catering, transportation. This number is predicated on having a clean outing i.e. don't cut down a tire, no contact, nothing caused by you or others that will require repair or replacement. If any of these and many other things happen, you'll be getting the dreaded post event repair bill.. Also, this number doesn't include your personal transportation, lodging, event fees or track insurance (for those that buy it).

With the per event cost in mind, you can calculate how many events a season you can afford. You will also need to determine your maintenance cost based on the intervals your shop can determine is right for you. Next you will have to budget for engine and gearbox rebuilds. Again, based on hours with around 35 hours for a gearbox and 50 hours for the engine. Cost here can be substantial but much less now than when using all PM parts.

From talking to others, the numbers I listed are typical for arrive and drive in support of a 997-991 GT3 cup. Keep in mind, there are other cost associated with ownership such as monthly storage (if you don't keep the car at your house) and STP insurance (another $3500/yr). Of course, these numbers also assume you are one of those rare individuals that likes your race car just the way it is and won't spend any money on the endless number of "must have" go faster bits. If that's not you, put that in your calculations as well.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:26 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I did get a chuckle out of the post above calculating operating costs down to $5/minute. That's pretty detailed.
Happy to provide the laugh I did it because I had a friend share my car at an event and he wanted to cover some of the costs. I figured I might as well go crazy and have some fun with where the math takes me I also tried not to add up how much it cost me to build the car...
Old 05-16-2018, 03:38 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

The common theme everyone is saying:

”this doesn’t include _______. “

From a psychological stand point, no one wants to really know the cost... perhaps this thread should be put to rest
Old 05-16-2018, 03:58 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
perhaps this thread should be put to rest
......a while ago........

Spend what you can.
If it's too much, spend less.

The End.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:19 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
The common theme everyone is saying:

”this doesn’t include _______. “

From a psychological stand point, no one wants to really know the cost... perhaps this thread should be put to rest
Send it to the abyss!
Old 05-16-2018, 06:10 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

OTOH, A wonderful thing happened to me, my car greatly appreciated in value.

So much so that it turns out my running a 911 at DE's was an investment! Even after expenses and upgrades I figure I'm up at least double.

YMMV...
Old 05-16-2018, 08:09 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

if it makes you feel better, I was quoted 60-75k/ weekend sans incident for Ferrari Challenge.

I think your numbers are accurate though for PCA.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:34 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

if u have to ask....

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
60-75k/ weekend sans incident for Ferrari Challenge.
I’ve watched those races...has ANYONE ever escaped unscathed??
Old 05-17-2018, 02:48 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

I think my wife summed it up best for me when one of her friends asked her if she was worried about me getting involved with another woman due to my extensive travel schedule. My wife told her she had an idea, thankfully low, of how much I spent on DEs and Club Racing and there was no way I could afford another woman.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:34 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I think my wife summed it up best for me when one of her friends asked her if she was worried about me getting involved with another woman due to my extensive travel schedule. My wife told her she had an idea, thankfully low, of how much I spent on DEs and Club Racing and there was no way I could afford another woman.
Divorce actually saves you less money than giving up racing.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:10 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
if it makes you feel better, I was quoted 60-75k/ weekend sans incident for Ferrari Challenge.
Talk about an expensive weekend, 75k is what I budget for the whole season.
I'm just as happy swimming in the shallow end of the pool.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:42 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I think my HPDE budget is pretty cheap. Here's my general break down for tracking my 997 GT3 at local HPDE events.

Tires: Pirelli DH scrubs, $600 a set, lasts 4-5 days ($150 a day)
Brakes Pads: $600 a set, lasts 8-10 days ($75 a day)
Rotors: $450 a set (I run Centric blanks, Cayenne S fronts and Pana TT rears), lasts 15 days ($30 a day)
Gas: 3 tanks @ 45 a tank ($135 a day)

Total average is about $400 a day for local HPDE events. I probably do 5-7 events a year so 2-3K. This does not include any out of town events with hotel, food etc or the replacement of any timed out consumables like bushings, cooling system etc. It's about the same cost to run my GT3 as my BMW M2. The only way I could see running HPDE cheaper would be in a Miata or use street tires.

I also do about 2-3 WRL races which is about 1k an event for a rented seat in someone elses car so my total track expense is probably around 5-6k a year.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:03 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I think my HPDE budget is pretty cheap. Here's my general break down for tracking my 997 GT3 at local HPDE events.

Tires: Pirelli DH scrubs, $600 a set, lasts 4-5 days ($150 a day)
Brakes Pads: $600 a set, lasts 8-10 days ($75 a day)
Rotors: $450 a set (I run Centric blanks, Cayenne S fronts and Pana TT rears), lasts 15 days ($30 a day)
Gas: 3 tanks @ 45 a tank ($135 a day)

Total average is about $400 a day for local HPDE events. I probably do 5-7 events a year so 2-3K. This does not include any out of town events with hotel, food etc or the replacement of any timed out consumables like bushings, cooling system etc. It's about the same cost to run my GT3 as my BMW M2. The only way I could see running HPDE cheaper would be in a Miata or use street tires.

I also do about 2-3 WRL races which is about 1k an event for a rented seat in someone elses car so my total track expense is probably around 5-6k a year.
I run 100 TW tires on a Miata and by far the most expensive thing for my track days is getting to/from the track (I also instruct so my fees are $0.00). I go to basically 4 tracks either by SUV towing the trailer or in my RV. Fuel costs roundtrip to each at current fuel prices:

A full day of fuel for the Miata is usually 15 gallons or so or about $45/day. Usually less; depends on how many and length of sessions.

I spent $500 for tires + mounting and those will last, along with the set from last year, all year for 25 days or so, so about $20/day. Brake pads and fluids will be another $500 this year, probably less. (The faster I go the longer my brake pads last; funny that.)

So, you can do it fairly cheaply. Speed costs money and it isn't linear.

edit to add: I also think it's useful to look at the marginal cost of track days. I used to golf a lot and had a $6000/year country club membership that I've given up because I found far more enjoyment at the track so I'm saving money by doing track days and I will go to my death defending that position and I expect all of you to do so as well, as would I for you.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:04 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
...I'm saving money by doing track days and I will go to my death defending that position and I expect all of you to do so as well, as would I for you.
Love it

Quick Reply: How much do you spend on this DE/racing hobby ?