Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much do you spend on this DE/racing hobby ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 09:26 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

As far as the wife is concerned, the “cost”of DE’s is the registration fee. There done!! Everything else, tires, rotors, pads, oil changes, track insurance, hotels, dinners, fuel, tools, all the random “useful chit” in my track box, is between me and the wind...don’t ask don’t tell. This doesn’t even include track wheels and the occasional mod...and this is just for DE, racing is on another level.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:27 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
I like your wife comment, but yikes, brake fluid and oil for every event and your expecting 3 seasons for the pads. Invest your money in coaching instead of all that brake fluid and oil changes. The brake fluid, if high end, is good for summer season. I mean that's why your putting in decent fluid so it does not boil.
Thanks, glad to hear from someone with experience! Last summer a Ferrari 458 "lost brakes" flipped and burned to a crisp at VIR. I was semi-paranoid about brakes before that, so needless to say, i'm double-paranoid now. I use Motul RBF 600 so if I can change that once/year that is good news. I run in the white group - not sure I will ever make it to black, but I can definitely see the difference between 2:15 and 2:05 (at VIR) in terms of tires and such. Actually, it seems like a non-linear (I'm an engineer BTW) relationship...going 9.5/10ths seems to wear much, much more than you might expect compared to 8/10ths, for example. Stock pads, rotors, and tires seem to be more than adequate for what I am doing. Oh, and on the oil thing, I'm not totally OCD - I will typically just drain 5 quarts and replace that before the event (no filter change).
Old 05-15-2018, 09:31 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

I have a friend that drives his 944 for a couple $100 bucks a weekend. This includes registration fees. Tires last a full season. Pads last 2-3 seasons. Car uses pump gas. Oil change twice a year and a brake bleed every couple of months. Just fill up the gas and drive.

I have heard from another friend that you can spend upwards of $15k per weekend racing a Cayman. This includes test days, a full nut and bolt track prep, a brake bleed and full nut and bolt at the end of each day, a coach, a chassis engineer and a dedicated mechanic and two sets of sticker tires. Car uses $12/gal race gas and at least a set of pads per weekend. Rotors last two weekends. The most expensive part is actually preventive maintenance but that's for a different thread.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:38 PM
cmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
Street tires every 3 years. Pro-rated to $250/season
Street brake pads every 3 years. Pro-rated to $50/season
I want these magic tires and brake pads you speak of...
Old 05-15-2018, 09:45 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Old 05-15-2018, 09:57 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I have a friend that drives his 944 for a couple $100 bucks a weekend. This includes registration fees. Tires last a full season. Pads last 2-3 seasons. Car uses pump gas. Oil change twice a year and a brake bleed every couple of months. Just fill up the gas and drive.

I have heard from another friend that you can spend upwards of $15k per weekend racing a Cayman. This includes test days, a full nut and bolt track prep, a brake bleed and full nut and bolt at the end of each day, a coach, a chassis engineer and a dedicated mechanic and two sets of sticker tires. Car uses $12/gal race gas and at least a set of pads per weekend. Rotors last two weekends. The most expensive part is actually preventive maintenance but that's for a different thread.
I think I know both of those guys.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:38 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump for fun
Old 05-15-2018, 10:42 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

so much that when: wife wants to rebuild house, refurnish house, take last minute trips overseas several times a year, go out to lots of nice dinners, likes her shoes and handbags, etc etc I don't even blink an eye. Or ever ask how much, or why did you need that... :-)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:58 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

All of it.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:10 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
Thanks, glad to hear from someone with experience! Last summer a Ferrari 458 "lost brakes" flipped and burned to a crisp at VIR. I was semi-paranoid about brakes before that, so needless to say, i'm double-paranoid now. I use Motul RBF 600 so if I can change that once/year that is good news. I run in the white group - not sure I will ever make it to black, but I can definitely see the difference between 2:15 and 2:05 (at VIR) in terms of tires and such. Actually, it seems like a non-linear (I'm an engineer BTW) relationship...going 9.5/10ths seems to wear much, much more than you might expect compared to 8/10ths, for example. Stock pads, rotors, and tires seem to be more than adequate for what I am doing. Oh, and on the oil thing, I'm not totally OCD - I will typically just drain 5 quarts and replace that before the event (no filter change).
Brake fluid must be changed every 6 months for most tech inspections, so twice a year. Your pads will be first to go shortly as you improve. With increased speeds and heat the stock pads can begin to transfer material to the rotors and cause brake judder or will just wear out in a weekend. Have fun and you're lucky to have VIR as a home track. I went there for the first time at Easter and it was such a great track/place. And yes you are quite right as you go faster it seems like parts wear out much quicker...oh the slippery slope!
Old 05-15-2018, 11:47 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

All I will say is 1) I don't keep count, 2) the cost of the racecar was the cheapest part of the hobby.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:41 AM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

We Run 2 cars in Lucky Dog Racing . We rent out seats for $500 a day all inclusive. It works out each driver gets a 2 hr stint driving each day These Events are selling out
Old 05-16-2018, 12:45 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I think I know both of those guys.
I also know a third guy that has been spending an arm and a leg to get his vintage 911 reliable so parts don’t fall off anymore. Other than the 110 octane fuel requirement it is a relatively cheap car to run. Two sets of tires and one set of brake pads per season. Car pretty much brakes by just turning the steering wheel. Couple of $100 per weekend on fuel and registration plus a couple of $1000 for track support and a coach to learn how to drive the darn thing without ABS or traction control and shift the 901 gearbox without destroying it. Yes, he needs all the help he can get but there is always a huge smile on his face.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:40 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
All of it.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:14 AM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys know the best way to become a millionaire?

Start racing as a billionaire...

Quick Reply: How much do you spend on this DE/racing hobby ?