Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you buy a well sorted streetable race car?
Absolutely, sign me up!
50.69%
Never, race car and groceries don't mix.
49.31%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Would you want a streetable race car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 11:45 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Crashing a Lucas Oil School Car is very different financially from crashing a Porsche race car. Usually, you are expected to pay for the damage you cause, whether your fault or not. Do you really expect fort a race school to pay for your crash damage? I have never been to one that does. My guess is that they wouldn’t be in business long if they did.
Bertil Roos does not charge crash damage for basic 3-day school. They do, however, charge up to $2,000 for 2-day advanced school.

A plug for Dennis. No affiliation other than as a very satisfied customer.

BTW, and I only mention this because the original press release was WRONG and even Pro Coach recently posted "new owner", but Bertil Roos racing school was NOT sold... Dennis still runs the school and it was just a merger to broaden their horizons (e.g. home tracks). Ex-Skippy formula cars, however, WERE bought by Bertil Roos for Palm Beach.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:24 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Bertil Roos does not charge crash damage for basic 3-day school. They do, however, charge up to $2,000 for 2-day advanced school.

A plug for Dennis. No affiliation other than as a very satisfied customer.

BTW, and I only mention this because the original press release was WRONG and even Pro Coach recently posted "new owner", but Bertil Roos racing school was NOT sold... Dennis still runs the school and it was just a merger to broaden their horizons (e.g. home tracks). Ex-Skippy formula cars, however, WERE bought by Bertil Roos for Palm Beach.
Thanks for clarifying that! Dennis runs a great school.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:10 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

The 'you'll bump your head on the cage' line of thinking always baffles me. A car is a cage made of steel. The A- and B-pillars might have a pretty plastic or vinyl covering, but in pre-airbag-cars that's all there is. There are steel tubes right by your head. With a street driven caged car, you pad the cage that's near your head with high-density SFI foam. To my mind, on my old car that makes the cage components significantly safer than the unpadded A- and B-pillars.

And for what it's worth, many federalized, fully-legal street cars come with cages in them. Look at Jeeps.

But the head-bumping thing is statistically insignificant in terms of lethality. Fully 33% of auto accident fatalities are from rollovers, even though rollovers occur in only only 3-4% of accidents. A roof pancaking in is one of the most dangerous aspects of an automobile, whether it's on a race track or a public road. Automobile manufacturers have been successfully fighting higher standards for roof strength for decades. It's really one of the most shameful successes of their lobbying effort. They want to save money.

In my opinion, any car is going to be made much safer by a cage -- on or off the track.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:21 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
The 'you'll bump your head on the cage' line of thinking always baffles me. A car is a cage made of steel. The A- and B-pillars might have a pretty plastic or vinyl covering, but in pre-airbag-cars that's all there is. There are steel tubes right by your head. With a street driven caged car, you pad the cage that's near your head with high-density SFI foam. To my mind, on my old car that makes the cage components significantly safer than the unpadded A- and B-pillars.

And for what it's worth, many federalized, fully-legal street cars come with cages in them. Look at Jeeps.

But the head-bumping thing is statistically insignificant in terms of lethality. Fully 33% of auto accident fatalities are from rollovers, even though rollovers occur in only only 3-4% of accidents. A roof pancaking in is one of the most dangerous aspects of an automobile, whether it's on a race track or a public road. Automobile manufacturers have been successfully fighting higher standards for roof strength for decades. It's really one of the most shameful successes of their lobbying effort. They want to save money.

In my opinion, any car is going to be made much safer by a cage -- on or off the track.
Unless the car was rebuilt around the roll cage the cage bars are 2.5" or more closer to the occupant than the body of the car. That distances matters. Full cages of the type being discussed here (not replacing existing body frames with cage like materials) would make big accidents safer and smaller accidents less safe.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:33 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I had a sweetly set up 06 cayman S street/track car. The prior owner spent a fortune on suspension and go fast parts and I tweaked it and installed seats and rollbar. For about a year, Mindy drove it to the track while I towed her ssm .

It was certainly WAY faster than the 993, but it never felt like a glove like my red car does. Truthfully I enjoyed it most on very long highway trips than either the racetrack or around town. I drove from Savannah to NY in a long day and (other than the ice storm in Delaware) the car destroyed I95

If it were the "only car" that I could have, it would have been a perfectly acceptable compromise. After having a dedicated racecar, I'm spoiled both by the security of a real safety system, and by suspension too uncompromising to drive elsewhere.

Of course now that i think about it, we drove the red car to the track also. It had plates and insurance but nothing made it street worthy. 700/900 lbs spring and no cats were...miserable. Mindy’s “punishment”for me trailering her miata to the glen was driving the red car 400 miles each way. Talk about an enduro!

Last edited by mhm993; 05-19-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:43 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen

Amen, my dual purpose brother!
The BIGGEST danger with a race car on the street with plates, is the helmet hook . if you have a helmet hook and have tried to clean the windshield, you know what i mean.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:46 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Most race car parts are not DOT, approved. Get in an accident where someone gets hurt, and their lawyers will have a field day with a heavily modified track car.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:21 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Difool
Most race car parts are not DOT, approved. Get in an accident where someone gets hurt, and their lawyers will have a field day with a heavily modified track car.
They will? How do you know this?
Old 05-21-2018, 12:02 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Been thinking about this, at first I passed the question off as folly... but now that I think more about it.....

Assuming your race class allows street stuff (interior, emissions, etc). It really comes down to how much of a penalty are you willing to accept.

Assuming equal driver capabilities, any compromise you make to your call will take you off the podium. But we all know, especially at the amateur level, there is a WIDE disparity in driver competence.

If you are a tremendous driver, you may indeed be able to win in a compromised car. Hell... If your last name is Senna, you could probably even carry the bags of mulch you picked up at the garden center around with you.,
Old 05-22-2018, 01:06 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
Been thinking about this, at first I passed the question off as folly... but now that I think more about it.....

Assuming your race class allows street stuff (interior, emissions, etc). It really comes down to how much of a penalty are you willing to accept.

Assuming equal driver capabilities, any compromise you make to your call will take you off the podium. But we all know, especially at the amateur level, there is a WIDE disparity in driver competence.

If you are a tremendous driver, you may indeed be able to win in a compromised car. Hell... If your last name is Senna, you could probably even carry the bags of mulch you picked up at the garden center around with you.,
In Club Racing like PCA there may not be just a disparity in driver competence, but there is also a great disparity in A: acceptable risk vs reward, as well as the B: budget applied to the hobby (which is related to A). Overall, a streetable racecar is clearly the cheapest way to club race.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:20 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
In Club Racing like PCA there may not be just a disparity in driver competence, but there is also a great disparity in A: acceptable risk vs reward, as well as the B: budget applied to the hobby (which is related to A). Overall, a streetable racecar is clearly the cheapest way to club race.
I don’t know, I think it’s not quite that simple. Let me try to explain my opinion with messy circular logic and hand waving - it’s getting late lol. Hopefully it’s enough to make the point clear.

A car like a pre-built spec 944 with an open trailer is about as cheap as club racing in a typically-populated-in-most-regions class gets. If you already have an SUV or truck (yeah this can be a big hangup), running a Spec 944 and using an open trailer would likely be cheaper than running say a streetable Cayman or 996 race car even if the Cayman/996 ran on street tires.

I suppose you could counter argue that a non-spec 944 with just the required safety equipment and street tires would be cheaper still. So in essence, a cheap-to-buy-and-run car with a bare minimum race car conversion to keep build costs low (and it could certainly remain street legal if preferred) running on street tires with a long life - that is probably the cheapest way to go.

It wouldn’t be competitive in a class though, so advanced DE or TT might be nearly as fun as racing since you’d otherwise be running alone at the back anyways. That’s really a track car, not a race car, so then why not just skip the conversion altogether and save even more money.

The issue is, most of the appeal of W2W is getting to race competitively with others. Which is where the modest additional cost of Spec 944 would come back in and seem sensible - then you get competitors in the same class. And we’re back full circle.

A few folks around here do kind of go halfway and have a race car like a BMW 3 series that can carry a set of slicks in the cabin. They can then skip the trailer issue, load it up, drive it to the track on whatever old street rubber they have, and swap on the nice race tires at the track. *The key thing is there are a few of them, so they can race together. And I don’t know if they are actually street legal - I’m pretty confident they aren’t but am not 100% sure - but in Utah there are a few different ways to legally register older cars without mandatory emissions and safety inspections. (You could still get a ticket for noncompliance but you don’t have to get the car inspected.) The guys that do this seem to pretty much drive to and from events only, and it seems to work out pretty well for them. And all this said, there is much better local competition in the spec classes!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:33 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37

I don’t know, I think it’s not quite that simple. Let me try to explain my opinion with messy circular logic and hand waving - it’s getting late lol. Hopefully it’s enough to make the point clear.

A car like a pre-built spec 944 with an open trailer is about as cheap as club racing in a typically-populated-in-most-regions class gets. If you already have an SUV or truck (yeah this can be a big hangup), running a Spec 944 and using an open trailer would likely be cheaper than running say a streetable Cayman or 996 race car even if the Cayman/996 ran on street tires.

I suppose you could counter argue that a non-spec 944 with just the required safety equipment and street tires would be cheaper still. So in essence, a cheap-to-buy-and-run car with a bare minimum race car conversion to keep build costs low (and it could certainly remain street legal if preferred) running on street tires with a long life - that is probably the cheapest way to go.

It wouldn’t be competitive in a class though, so advanced DE or TT might be nearly as fun as racing since you’d otherwise be running alone at the back anyways. That’s really a track car, not a race car, so then why not just skip the conversion altogether and save even more money.

The issue is, most of the appeal of W2W is getting to race with others. Which is where the modest additional cost of Spec 944 would come back in and seem sensible - then you get competitors in the same class. And we’re back full circle.

A few folks around here kind of go halfway and have a race car like a BMW 3 series that can carry a set of slicks in the cabin. They can then skip the trailer issue, load it up, drive it to the track on whatever old street rubber they have, and swap on the nice race tires at the track. The key thing is there are a few of them, so they can race together. And I don’t know if they are actually street legal but in Utah there are a few different ways to legally register older cars without mandatory emissions and safety inspections. (You could still get a ticket for noncompliance but you don’t have to get the car inspected.) The guys that do this seem to pretty much drive to and from events only, and it seems to work out pretty well for them.
Yea, a 944 is a cheap way to go... if you like 944's! But at my age/point in life, I would not want to drive a tin can like that on the street. In my case, for over 20 years I have club raced street legal 911s, driving to and from events doing it various ways: driving on the BFGR1/V700/V710/RA1/NT01's I arrived on, to using a roof rack to hold 3 tires and 1 in the cabin. Regardless of "in class" competitiveness (and what do you win, anyway?!), racing W2W for me with my friends will always be more fun and worth my time than a DE or time trial environment because drivers should be more seasoned/competent/predictable, passing is anywhere/whenever, and race starts are truly the best. And an occasional enduro is a nice physical test - and mental, especially when my 5-year old gets a hold of the radio.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:54 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

To add two more cents of input here...

With enough dollars, I think a Ruf-style integrated roll cage could be fabricated that would both (a) meet crash standards for an amateur-level race series and (b) minimize risk of injury in a street-type accident (e.g., no helmet). I would be afraid to even ask a professional shop for a quote on that type of project, as the design and fabrication labor would likely be FAR more than the work for a typical weld-in cage (which itself isn’t cheap). You could fit out the car with Sparco seats that have the removable halos and make safety nets removable so that a driver could operate the car on the street without compromising his peripheral vision.

The question then becomes what other compromises a buyer will accept in terms of performance (no AC? No radio? Stiff suspension?). Suspension alignment and tire choice would also be a big question mark - would the car race on DOT-legal tires? (I believe some classes do). What is acceptable tire life in street driving assuming the car has a track alignment? Finally, what about locking systems - all street cars have ignition and door locks, but many racers delete those systems in order to reduce potential points of failure. To capture economies of scale needed to make series production of something like this viable, I think you would need to get a critical mass of people in different markets to all agree on where those trade-offs fall. There are some companies in Europe that I think have had some luck with this, primarily selling kit cars and track day specials, but I’m not aware of many in the U.S. (only Factory Five really comes to mind)
Old 05-22-2018, 03:54 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
Yea, a 944 is a cheap way to go... if you like 944's! But at my age/point in life, I would not want to drive a tin can like that on the street. In my case, for over 20 years I have club raced street legal 911s, driving to and from events doing it various ways: driving on the BFGR1/V700/V710/RA1/NT01's I arrived on, to using a roof rack to hold 3 tires and 1 in the cabin. Regardless of "in class" competitiveness (and what do you win, anyway?!), racing W2W for me with my friends will always be more fun and worth my time than a DE or time trial environment because drivers should be more seasoned/competent/predictable, passing is anywhere/whenever, and race starts are truly the best. And an occasional enduro is a nice physical test - and mental, especially when my 5-year old gets a hold of the radio.
Thanks for explaining this, it makes more sense to me. Sounds a lot like a vintage race. Just out racing to have a good time and that’s the whole goal. Nothing wrong with that!
Old 05-22-2018, 04:14 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by white924s
...There are some companies in Europe that I think have had some luck with this, primarily selling kit cars and track day specials, but I’m not aware of many in the U.S. (only Factory Five really comes to mind)
Fran Hall runs Race Car Replicas and Superlite Cars. They compete with FFR and seem to build good products. Might be worth googling if you’re curious. I also think some would argue Radical might fit the bill here.

The other side of this coin is: My understanding is the birth of most spec series is a number of folks getting together and all building the same cars the same way so they can race them together. They write it all down and tell their friends, and the handful of car types that reach critical mass and keep growing may become national spec series. There’s no fundamental reason a new spec series couldn’t include rules like keeping the factory HVAC system in the cars. It’s all local community driven, so if everyone involved feels it’s a good call it will probably work.

Quick Reply: Would you want a streetable race car?