Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning ahead. Engine replacement. What to know?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 07:34 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Just going to add that there has to be a sentinel event for an OEM to “blow.”

There often are many smaller events that occur that may lead up to that final event (money shift, oil starvation, overheating are the big three), but OEM engines, especially in “stock” classes, don’t just “blow up.”

If you know the history, keep up regular maintenance (oil samples, compression and leak down tests annually, valve adjustment if that is a thing) and nothing has changed, you’re probably ok.

There are a lot more old engines running trouble free, albeit slightly down on power, than there are ones that blow up at the track. Just my .02
It was Daytona and I blew two engines in one weekend! The banking may have had something to do with it.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:40 PM
turbo8765
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
It was Daytona and I blew two engines in one weekend! The banking may have had something to do with it.
What engine, chassis, tire?
Old 05-15-2018, 09:56 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbo8765

What engine, chassis, tire?
Gen1 3.4 Cayman engine, Hoosier R7s and JRZ 3-ways. The first engine probably blew at the previous race at Summit Point when I had a catastrophic transmission failure. Think it messed with the engine as it blew during the first practice session. Second engine, from Vertex, blew up because they are a bunch of criminals and sold me garbage.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

That's refferred to as a krylon or dupont rebuild.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I remember that weekend! And the Herculean effort of Spencer and his crew to get you back out. We were really hurting for you...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-15-2018, 11:18 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I remember that weekend! And the Herculean effort of Spencer and his crew to get you back out. We were really hurting for you...
First engine blew on the first lap of warm-up. Second engine blew up with a couple of laps to go during the enduro. In between those two engines was a sleepless night for the SpeedSport Tuning mechanics. They are truly the best in the business and I trust them with my life. They simply do not get better than these guys.

The only sleep, is the picture below, in the middle of the night when we were waiting for the engine to come up from Miami with the courier. In between was a lot of Mexican food, Red Bulls and cigarettes!

It was the worst race weekend I had, and looking back, it was a weekend filled with effort and triumph. Managed a first and third and couldn't have done it without my guys. They are the best!

Heart shaped hole in my block. "I love you but I have to leave you now."

Fire extinguishers make a good pillow.

Nothing says a crap engine like wet spray paint! Yup, it was wet when delivered - never a good sign.

The results of all the hard work!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Just going to add that there has to be a sentinel event for an OEM to “blow.”
996 full OEM with the OEM IMS bearing... nuff said
Old 05-16-2018, 09:22 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542

996 full OEM with the OEM IMS bearing... nuff said
Not everyone of the those “blows...”

Not suggesting that people don’t address known weaknesses, just saying that you don’t need to drive thinking you have the sword of Damocles hanging above you...
Old 05-18-2018, 02:12 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
Yes, I asked, but he is busy and I didn't hear back yet. My apologies if you find my question annoying.

I am asking to learn from others because I already know what SST's answer is and it's the most expensive option. What I was hoping was that people on RL would know some details on all the options available. Who are the reputable race engine builders? How much does the price vary? Can you go "cheap" and still be competitive? Can you actually get a "factory new" engine? From where? How much? If you decide to go the used Boxster donor route are there mileage levels you should avoid?

Come on guys I know planning ahead is not NECESSARY, but rather than blow an engine on a Thursday and rush to buy a $24k replacement on Saturday, I'd like to be a little more knowledgable on choices and prices. Seems like there can be enormous difference from $5k to $25k. There has to be a happy medium, but right now I have no idea what that "medium" is, hence my request for insight from those that have weighed the options and/or already been down this road. Given that I only plan on racing 3 or 4 times a season I would hate to be left out of a race because of a lack of an engine so to me buying something in advance if it were $10k would be worth it to me. $25k not so much. I guess it boils down to that . . . is there a decent option in the $10k range or am I simply talking about a junk yard engine at that price?
Joe
My advice is to test the oil every time it is changed, send it to Blackstone Labs for analysis. The oil analysis is used to determine if the engine rotating components are OK or are in failure mode. Compression test and leak down test determine piston ring condition, valve guide condition , and intake and exhaust sealing condition.

SpeedSport, Spencer, should gladly provide the service.

Hope to meet at Lime Rock this year,
944 owner Tom Koehler

Quick Reply: Planning ahead. Engine replacement. What to know?