Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting fed up with racing -too much time and money...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 10:39 AM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
A few years ago, we were dealing with a shop that kept screwing up our engine build. I blame myself for sticking with him so long, but he was a friend and I thought he'd figure it out. But time after time we'd go to the track and get 1 1/2 laps and the engine would eat a bearing or just completely blow up. With all the work getting the car together, loading up, trailering to the track, logistics, fuel, tires, etc...cost and time/effort was starting to really wear on us because we were NOT getting the fun part at the track. 3 years of this... Last conversation I had with him when the crank pulley backed out and ruined the set pin/pulley and crank right after he rebuilt it was " Why do you always blame this on me? I'm sick of your f*@king car and I'm sick of you". That was 2015. The discussion (or yelling match between me and Nadine) of selling it all and getting out of track stuff completely was real this time. Each other time I would convince her we'd fix it. This time...I was done. She yelled (we don't fight hardly ever...this was a doozy). I sat and listened...this time thinking "she's right, we're done". Put the cover on the car and let it sit for 6 months.

Then we went to Rennsport Reunion and hung out with Peter Dawe a bit. He knew of the issues we were going through (he was at the track a few times at races and tried to help out when our mechanic was nowhere to be found). He said "bring it to me, let me look at it. This is supposed to be fun. You enjoy the car, you enjoy driving...just because one particular person can't do his job is no reason to give up the fun you SHOULD be having"

Fast forward to 2016 after the car was at Dawes' Motorsports for a year (and the constant "everything I touch in this engine is done wrong" texts and calls I'd get from Peter and Trevor!!!) and we were back on track. After some tweaking and set up, the car runs perfect. Yes its still a hassle and very expensive to prep the car, load it, get everything together for the weekend, trailer, handle issues at the track, load it to come home, unload at home, bring trailer back to storage, etc. etc. etc....but all the fun we have on the weekend with the car, with each other (Nadine drives too) with our friends and competitors...its worth the effort. Heck, that's why we started NaroEscape Motorsports to begin with. We both love being at the track and being around that atmosphere. Nadine loves doing data analysis and driver coaching - probably more than she likes driving. I love to drive.

Yes it's a hassle and yes it can be frustrating and yes it can wear you out sometimes. But as long as the time AT the track is fun...the hassle all seems worth it...
I'm not religious and am a jew, but all I can think of is Amen brother!

I'm glad I started this thread, it's like a race car owners support group lol ...
Old 05-14-2018, 10:54 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
I'm glad I started this thread, it's like a race car owners support group lol ...
I was thinking the exact same thing!..

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 05-14-2018, 11:03 AM
ned911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

When TWS was active and my 911 was right racing was easy. Track 90 miles away, no vacation burned/no long tows, and a car that just worked weekend after weekend. Then due to economics I switched to a different car that has been an absolute nightmare. Hopefully after this latest round of repairs it will become more consistent mechanically.

IOW- I feel your pain but man do I miss being on a race track.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:13 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,720 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
The timing of this thread could not have been better. I started off drag racing when i was 18 and did that for 3 years, took a break from racing to get my career and life started, once married i started drag racing again for 3 years, then i went into kart racing for about 5 years, then into my SRF which i sold last year. 2017 was the first year i didnt race anything in a while but i did track days on a SV650. Come this year i wanted to get back on track but after looking at my sons travel hockey schedule and some trips we have planned i figured id have a few solid weekends i could dedicate to racing, so my plan is renting a bertil roos car at one of their weekend races and renting another car for another weekend. I am also thinking of selling my 997 to upgrade to a newer cayman for DE's.

I love racing (ask my wife), i am always reading about it, watching it, jumping on the sim when i can. My issue lately is spending 3 days at the track for a few sessions a day. Dont get my wrong i enjoy the company of my competitors but lately i get this feeling that i am wasting time not being with my family (am i finally maturing lol). My son will be driving in a few years, so my plan is to probably rent for a few years and do DE's, if he then shows interest in racing or driving i would go all in again to be with him, If he doesnt i may wait until he is in college to get back on a schedule chasing points and pursuing a dream of racing at the runoffs.

Curious for those that may have stopped racing and just do DE days, are you getting the same satisfaction on track as you did when competing?

This thread makes me fee a little better seeing i am not the only one who has been thinking about this and it is normal.
Take it from me, if you never want to have regrets, be with the family first. I had one kid racing karts and then cars and another playing competitive travel soccer. With the final kid about to graduate high school, I made time for them first and racing second because you can't get those years back. The track will still be there when they're off to college.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:38 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
That's ridiculous. So only the rich should race?
Maybe I shouldn't mention that I've made a "profit" on a TT weekend before. Of course if you add it all up over time, major loss. But at least I can sell the wife on that ONE weekend where I "made" money.

Disclaimer: profit only considered in regards to expenses from Friday to Sunday. Profit includes contingency winning of tires retail value. Not valid with any other profit/loss estimations.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:49 PM
josserman
Instructor

Originally Posted by wanna911
Maybe I shouldn't mention that I've made a "profit" on a TT weekend before. Of course if you add it all up over time, major loss. But at least I can sell the wife on that ONE weekend where I "made" money.

Disclaimer: profit only considered in regards to expenses from Friday to Sunday. Profit includes contingency winning of tires retail value. Not valid with any other profit/loss estimations.
Actually my GF is a physical therapist and massage therapist. I bought her a massage chair and big massage sign with separate tent to bring to the track. She's going to setup and charge $25 for 15min massages. We'll see how it goes, but I'm pretty pumped for it lol.

Originally Posted by multi21
Take it from me, if you never want to have regrets, be with the family first. I had one kid racing karts and then cars and another playing competitive travel soccer. With the final kid about to graduate high school, I made time for them first and racing second because you can't get those years back. The track will still be there when they're off to college.
Agreed family first. Also got my son into karting. He's 6 and just did his first race a few weeks ago. We'll see how things go, but he's taken a much bigger interest in racing lately. I don't push it at all, it's on his interest, but there for him if he wants. Actually perhaps part of starting the thread I was pissed on Saturday after I couldn't spend as much time with him as I wanted due to getting stuck at the shop dealing with the trailer (which was supposed to be ready to go).
Old 05-14-2018, 04:48 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I too am on an extended break with my personal race car. I had an engine fire at my last race last year and with so many other projects on the go, I just can't find the energy to strip out the toasted wiring and rubbery bits in the engine to do it over again. I'm a one man show as well for racing and it's really hard. I tell people it's 90% prep for 10% track time (of that only 2% is time racing!). I love the 10%, but the 90% is a lot of time and energy. I'm really lucky to have a team chumpcar that spreads the work around and we have a lot of fun with that car. Working with friends on a car takes the experience from work to hobby.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:05 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
Actually my GF is a physical therapist and massage therapist. I bought her a massage chair and big massage sign with separate tent to bring to the track. She's going to setup and charge $25 for 15min massages. We'll see how it goes, but I'm pretty pumped for it lol.
Great call. I’ll be there all weekend Racing e36 m3. Pix of GF might help motivate how much $$$ I bring down to NJ. Haha

And for anyone who says DE is a perfectly fine substitute for wheel to wheel racing, No effing way. It’s fine if you want to drive around wasting gas, smoke cigars, and circle jerk, but cannot remotely compare to the excitement of W2W.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:54 PM
josserman
Instructor

Originally Posted by K964

Great call. I’ll be there all weekend Racing e36 m3. Pix of GF might help motivate how much $$$ I bring down to NJ. Haha

And for anyone who says DE is a perfectly fine substitute for wheel to wheel racing, No effing way. It’s fine if you want to drive around wasting gas, smoke cigars, and circle jerk, but cannot remotely compare to the excitement of W2W.
lol she’s a smokin hot Latina but sorry chair massage only and she’s strong as F physically and personality, anyone who tried anything funny w her would not walk away happy, and that’s before I got to them . That said she’s a miracle worker. I have two slipped discs and often wake up unable to move. In 5-10 mins she’s got me fully mobile and I don’t have any pain the rest of the day!

Stop by and say hi either way! We’ll be with the Stable Energies tent/rv.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:17 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
i understand, i still coach his travel hockey team and make 95% of his other team games. I feel the same way about the time and you cant get it back.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:55 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
That's ridiculous. So only the rich should race?
define rich.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:40 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Arrive and drive with a team is the ultimate way to run a race car. When you get to a certain level there is no other way around it. Just focus on your game.
Doing it on the club level is just one step away from PWC and IMSA. This is the way it is done.

My hats off to those club racers who self support however, Makes for a busy schedule on and off the track!
One could see where it would become bothersome at some point. But it is grassroots and for the die yard race junkie on a budget.

I will keep climbing as far as i can go up the motorsport ladder.
I wouldnt think of giving up racing unless I hit a pleateau where I couldnt get any better and things became too "repetitive". That or my time and money became an issue.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:14 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

@NaroEscape -Dawe puts together some wonderful machines.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:37 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
@NaroEscape -Dawe puts together some wonderful machines.
Yes they do.
Now...if we could just put together the funds to have the transmission rebuilt/re-geared...we'd be in business!
Old 05-15-2018, 09:09 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
... but after looking at my sons travel hockey schedule ...Curious for those that may have stopped racing and just do DE days, are you getting the same satisfaction on track as you did when competing?
I raced dirt bikes (motorcycles) from a young age into my 30s (in the 1990s) - MX, hare scrambles or desert races, and enduros. I was an expert rider. Had my first child. Soon after a friend got paralyzed in a race. Then a fellow rider hit a telephone poll and killed himself. Then a friend I was riding behind went over the handle bars, and we thought he was dead - a helo had to come and get him (broken ribs, concussion, but full recovery). My wife was not happy with my hobby. Sold the bike.

Fast forward a decade or more and I got a Cayman S. Did the Porsche Driving Experience. Did it again. Got a GT4 and started going to the track. Crashed it, fixed it, and have finally convinced the spouse I will not kill myself. Oldest has graduated college, middle son is a rising sophomore, youngest is a rising senior in HS. We did (and are done with) travel hockey!

I like DE events. When I watch the racers and talk to them, it seems to me that you may actually get more driving time in a DE weekend than a race weekend. I love the 987 race cars with a huge wing. Maybe I'll get one, but I do not think I will race it. At age 53, it just does not seem like the right thing to do. I"m a pretty competitive person and like the adrenaline rush of going fast, but I think DEs are the most extreme events in my future.

Quick Reply: Getting fed up with racing -too much time and money...