Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 C2S vs Alfa Romeo 4C question....

Old 05-25-2018, 02:15 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37

I always hesitate a bit on which journalist or owner comments about the near-the-limit handling characteristics of mid-engine cars should be trusted. A lot of folks simply seem uncomfortable with the fact that for nearly any mid-engine car you’ll need fast hands to catch a slide. Some of them actually call that a handling problem. Of course others understand that characteristic full well and just don’t think the handling of the car is up to snuff. The former is a bit of a misinterpretation but the latter criticism can be constructive.
One if the Everyday Driver hosts drives an Elise and the other a Cayman GTS.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:25 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
One if the Everyday Driver hosts drives an Elise and the other a Cayman GTS.
Good to hear, I’d never heard of the publication or the hosts. Perhaps their criticisms are the beneficial type.

In your opinion are their YouTube and film programs worth the time to watch? Always keeping an eye out for fun motoring content.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:31 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I come from racing mid-engine cars 1st. Now I race a dumbbell corvetteZ06 with similar power. I think you are right. In fact people always think I am nuts for saying I'm faster in the dumbbell than a mid-engine car. The slower responding chassis gives me confidence to push harder. That's where my driving is today. Maybe I will learn to be up to the challenge of the mid-engine chassis but I'm old...like time for your 2nd colonoscopy old. I'm waiting for the C8 mid-engine vette as my next racecar but will be quick to buy the last new C7 dumbbell if my suspicions are true that I'm still not quite up to it.
Lol I love the humility built into your post, makes me smile wholeheartedly.

I hope you have a blast in your corvette. They are incredible machines. The ZR1 is stupid fast and a mid-engine Vette has incredible potential so I’m quite excited to see how it will turn out in the flesh.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:03 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37

Good to hear, I’d never heard of the publication or the hosts. Perhaps their criticisms are the beneficial type.

In your opinion are their YouTube and film programs worth the time to watch? Always keeping an eye out for fun motoring content.
Good stuff on YouTube, and now on Velocity.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:33 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sure does look fun!

Old 05-26-2018, 11:24 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

I thought the Alfa had a sequential trans? The camera car's trans shifts slowly, and there is a lot of lag in the next gear.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:56 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

I tested it on the street. The duel clutch performed well given that I’m coming from a Porsche PDK. The Ferrari trani seemed to perform well.

The track vid posted seems to confirm solid changes at speed.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:01 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

The car rocks as opposed to RL uploads...made a big review w/pics....stalled and lost. Will try again later

Old 07-16-2018, 11:40 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Okay my bad,pic are high def, a no no here.

Here’s the short version;

The car can run just about anything up to 200kph then the big engines continue by. It turns wonderfully with the mid balanced performance you expect.

After 2 days on track in every condition except snow....the car is a giggle. Sure the car has it’s moments ie in normal in the rain and it’s out on the wrong gear after a certain corner...but you can just work around it.

In dry conditions in dynamic mode the car is spot on. Can’t wait for a clear day to fully crank the manual.

oh I was LCMT and Mosport in mixed conditions for both tracks.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:44 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
I thought the Alfa had a sequential trans? The camera car's trans shifts slowly, and there is a lot of lag in the next gear.
Does it really matter how fast or slow it shifts when it blows by all the Porsches?

I am picking my 2017 4C coupe next week and taking her for a 1000 miles trip down to Florida.....
Old 07-17-2018, 07:52 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Does it really matter how fast or slow it shifts when it blows by all the Porsches?

I am picking my 2017 4C coupe next week and taking her for a 1000 miles trip down to Florida.....
Uhmm...luggage is another shortfall unless you travel solo.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:01 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir5n

Uhmm...luggage is another shortfall unless you travel solo.
My son and I traveling ultra lite..... 500 miles a day....
Old 07-17-2018, 08:08 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Mine is a Spyder. Tuck the Targa in the trunk and that’s all that fits back there.

Have fun but keep in mind the car won’t fully sparkle until you take it to the track.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:14 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

I just bought a new Alfa 4C spider and am waiting for the clearbra to be installed before I drive it home. For me it will be a toy rather than a real car - a convertible for weekends, canyon drives, date nights, and nice afternoons. I'll have to do a full review once I've put some miles on it. On a test drive I thought the car was just a riot - fun and immersive even below the posted speed limits. I love lightweight cars, and in the US the car weighs about the same as a Miata or a (not-US-legal) V6 Exige, so it's very light.

I hear two major suspension complaints about the stock car as delivered - one is that the front end is darty and the other is that the rear end wobbles after changing to grippy track tires. It seems the factory set up the front with hardly any caster, and they tuned the rear suspension bushing stiffnesses to the factory tires. Both complaints are easy to address - front end caster spacer blocks and an alignment provide "normal" caster (and more steering feel), and bushing inserts at the rear lower control arm control the rear suspension flex. I'll try the car stock for a while and see what I think. There's a very nice Ohlins suspension available that may tempt me later on.

As for power, a few dyno results make it appear that the claimed stock 237 hp is about what the car makes at the wheels, and a simple ECU flash can increase the boost to get another 40-60whp. One of the vendors is now testing/releasing a custom ECU with a larger turbocharger that is capable of delivering up to 500whp on that tiny 1.75L, though he hasn't dared to push the motor that far. He's also offering some engine internal upgrades and working on a 2L conversion.

I enjoyed Jeremy Clarkson's review of the 4C Coupe from 2015, and this is about what I thought after the test drive:
https://www.driving.co.uk/car-review...4c-coupe-2015/
Old 07-18-2018, 05:49 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD

Should only take you about 5 hours.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 C2S vs Alfa Romeo 4C question....