Spanish F1 Race - Who Will Win?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 02:25 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
And this puts an end to the conspiracy theories... http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...-not-due-tyres

"I think it's pretty straightforward," he said. "Obviously you don't get the chance to revisit this kind of decisions that are made [very often], but we did it today and the result is that if we had had the normal tyres on Sunday, it would have probably been worse, so it was the correct call. It was our fault for not having the same tyre wear or life as other people."
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.... Edgar Allen Poe.

15 May 2018Two GP distances, best time on old-type Softs

Montmelò, 15 May –136 laps, over two Grands Prix lengths: that’s the distance racked up by Scuderia Ferrari on the first of two days of this in-season test, with Sebastian Vettel at the wheel. Various developments were tried out on the SF71H, “but not aimed at Monaco” clarified the driver, “because that race is too much of a one-off. Let’s say we got some ideas and now we have to turn them into reality.” Seb’s best time of 1’17”659 was set in the afternoon on Soft compound tyres, of the type used at the start of the season and not in last weekend’s GP. “We learned various things on how to work on track like this one . We know we have a strong car,” concluded the driver before leaving the circuit. Tomorrow, Antonio Giovinazzi takes over at the wheel of the SF71H

Interesting how the shaved tires Pirelli said would be better for the resurfaced track weren't actually better or faster for the Ferrari... Objective evidence, not sound bite material
Old 06-10-2018, 06:52 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
Let's agree to disagree. I'm not buying Toto Wolff's BS that Ferrari is the team to beat. The ONLY thing Ferrari has been able to prove before yesterdays change to tire construction is that they are fast over one lap during qualifying. As such, if they get a good start, they'll be able to keep the Mercs behind because they don't like dirty air. As we saw in Bahrain, when they jumped Ferrari for the lead in the pits, they pulled away comfortably. IMO, it's the only thing Ferrari had to beat Mercedes. Again, this is a phycological ploy by Wolff to cry they are on the back leg while actually having just two weaknesses (dirty air and heat).

Post race yesterday, Hamilton stated that is was the first time all year he felt a synergy with himself and the car and the results speak to that even with a SC and VSC, he was long up the road. You say that I make your point, but I don't think so. The fact that Mercedes should have won 4 of 5 races this year even with Lewis off his game speaks to how strong their car is, but the gap to the others had been reduced leading to wins by Vettel and Ricciardo. With the construction of the tire fundamentally changed in 3 of the 21 races (14% of the season), one of their weaknesses is diminished and they will dominate those races. The test case tracks will be Montreal 2 races from now, Silverstone and France. If the latter 2 see Merc dominance to the level we saw yesterday and if Ferrari and RBR are more competitive with MB in the former, then my point will be more clear to others.
I'm coming back to this thread from Spain as the second examples of my point have been proven to be true with regard to the shaved tires Pirelli gave to all the teams in Spain and Mercedes wiped the floor with everyone else. Montreal, a track that Mercedes has dominated in the recent past and Lewis looked lost. Bottas looked better, but Vettel looked like he was just managing the gap the whole time and not pushing. If my theory is correct, Lewis/Mercedes should have the victory at the French GP in 2 weeks time because the shaved tires will be used again. This time however, the gap shouldn't be as much as it was in Barcelona because after the Spanish GP, all the teams were allowed to test the shaved tires so they'll have a better understanding on how they work.

Quick Reply: Spanish F1 Race - Who Will Win?