Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Spanish F1 Race - Who Will Win?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 09:34 PM
OpenWheelFan
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heart says ALO...

But reality will be HAM, VET, BOT (with RIC just off the podium)

VER's day ends in a heap after completing a rousing 1/16th of a lap.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:37 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
I have to agree... Mercedes have one upped everyone to the point where they lobbied the spec tire to be changed to a thinner carcass and it's favored them tremendously...After a great start to the F1 season where there is actually competition and three different teams winning 4 different races, I'm afraid tomorrows race has already been decided as the last 24 of 27 races have been won from the front row starters.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...r-us--mercedes
I can't say that I disagree but I hope you are wrong about the championship. I'm like everyone else with any other sport - I will watch utter domination if my team is winning (it's a common piece of human nature assuming you have some emotional allegiance). However, I tuned out of most of 2014, 2015, and 2016. This type of politicking, however long it has been going on in Formula 1, should not be good for their viewership, but they get away with it. I'm always shocked at how many F1 apologists there are because the tech is advanced and the spectacle of cars flying through corners is pretty good. Personally, I think there's a cultural component to this along but that's a whole other discussion.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:00 AM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Why was Vettel qualifying on soft (yellow) tires? Are they saving the super softs for the race? Possibly an aggressive pit stop strategy?
Old 05-13-2018, 02:59 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Old 05-13-2018, 07:54 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Why was Vettel qualifying on soft (yellow) tires? Are they saving the super softs for the race? Possibly an aggressive pit stop strategy?
Ferrari was having trouble finding pace on the super soft so they apparently decided to throw some softs on to take a shot at pole. Almost worked.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:25 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Looks like the post race show will be live on twitter? No idea what this will be like but I'm seeing this in my feed: https://twitter.com/i/events/993861377084162052
Old 05-13-2018, 01:53 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Again, with Pirelli giving an unfair advantage to Mercedes, the balance of power has shifted and as predicted, it produced a literal blowout win and boring as always.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:33 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Grosjean's gotta go......two weeks, two stupids (this week's was bad, last week's was unconscionable), too much. along with too many excuses this year and last.

Haas HAS to be able to do better--on their budget they'd better do it soon or punt.

Did enjoy the heroic move by Nando around the outside of Ocon--I'd give anything to see him in a good car before he packs it in......

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 05-13-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:59 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

That was pretty boring. Interesting that Ricciardo was so far behind Verstappen.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:47 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I was a supporter of Grosjean until he pulled the dumbest *** move I have seen in a long time. It rivals his 2012 move at Spa which cost him some money and a one race ban. Haas might be scratching their head for a replacement.

Wehrlein, are you available?
Old 05-13-2018, 09:52 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the most boring races I can remember. Wonder how many total overtakes took place (if you net out the pit stops).
Old 05-14-2018, 07:04 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
Again, with Pirelli giving an unfair advantage to Mercedes, the balance of power has shifted and as predicted, it produced a literal blowout win and boring as always.
Yes, clearly a conspiracy against Ferrari. Pass the cheese please.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:08 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
Yes, clearly a conspiracy against Ferrari. Pass the cheese please.
No conspiracy against Ferrari as Red Bull also have race win. If you study each and every race thus far, Ferrari may have had the 1 lap advantage in Q3, but Mercedes had the outright race pace. Were it not for the safety cars, VSC and Verstappen crashes, Mercedes would have won each and every race this year with the exception of 1. Why upset the balance of power to tilt more towards the dominant team when they request a tire change? The more than predictable results yesterday, even with a safety car and VSC are all we need to know on how this ridiculous change has affected the competitive balance.

Please tell us when the last time a tire manufacturer in F1 history has shaved their tires instead of just bringing a harder compound? Go ahead, I'll wait while I sip my wine with the cheese.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:14 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

2011 and 2012 at Spa and Monza: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...ed-f1-circuits

Such changes for specific events are unusual, but not unprecedented.

Pirelli requested a thinner tread for Spa and Monza in both 2011 and 2012.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:34 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Furthermore, it was actually done as a response to Ferrari's tire issues at Silverstone last year and issues seen again in pre-season testing... Remember Seb and Kimi blowing tires last year???

I also posted this somewhere else. People can say what they want about LH but the reality is the gap wasn't Ferrari to Mercedes. The gap was Ferrari to Lewis Hamilton. Bottas was no quicker than anyone else out there. He and Seb were within two seconds of each other most of the race. Seb even split them on the start then they tried the undercut and blew it on VB while LH was unaffected. In fact given a few more laps Max would have caught Bottas on those tires, he was taking massive chunks out in those closing laps. Ferrari and Seb two stopped and took themselves out of the race literally. Ricciardo set the fastest lap in a Red Bull. The reason he was so far off Max was he spun under the VSC and no one covered it!!! He lost a good 15 seconds right there. The only guy/car whatever you want to call it out there in a different league was Hamilton and the Mercedes. If that is because of 4mm of tire depth I am going to shave all my tires right now!!!

I equate it to Marquez in MotoGP. Pedrosa is on the same equipment, Pedrosa is an incredible rider yet somehow week after week his teammate has a way of doing things no one else can. There are times Marc is running in a league all his own and say what you want about LH and best car on the grid yada yada yada but someone still has to go out there and drive the damn thing perfectly and that's what guy did yesterday whether you like him or not. I do chuckle at Ferrari fans complaining about Mercedes getting favoritism though, really, the team that gets an extra payment to show up because of their historical relationship to the sport and always earn more than the championship winning team are worried someone else is getting preferential treatment...

Hey, maybe those winglets on the Ferrari's Halo were working against it

Star of the weekend for me was LeClerc. Man I hope to see good things from him, disappointing to see Hartley struggle so much and Williams needs to do something quick...

Quick Reply: Spanish F1 Race - Who Will Win?