Sponsored by:

Top 3 Racing Schools in the USA you would recommend

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 03:29 PM
sautan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top 3 Racing Schools in the USA you would recommend

Hello. I just completed a 2-days performance driving school at Spring Mountain, which mainly caters for Corvette owner. I signed up without knowing it since I was just trying to learn proper racing technique. Nevertheless, I still got a lot out of it in term of basic stuffs and definitely improve my knowledge and skill at the end of the day. I was able to go from wobbly 40mph to consistent 75mph on the sweeper and definitely improve driving line, braking technique, throttle steer, enter and exit corner and etc. Even though i have signed up with the same school for advance level but wonder if there is any other racing school that is not cater to specific make/model's owner? The reason being some of the times were wasted on talking about the specific car's function. I am looking for true racing school that focus on teaching student racing stuffs and not how to connect bluetooth, customize your radio, speedometer color, sport mode selection, apple car play and etc.

My ultimate goal is to obtain a racing license even though I am not going to race but just personal goal. Thank you.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:10 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 798 Posts

Did you search on here first? There are numerous threads discussing schools.

IMHO getting a license without going out and having/getting some experience is worthless. Unless its just/all about bragging rights which I inferred from your post.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:30 PM
sautan
Advanced

For personal goal and self satisfaction. But you never know. I may go out and race 1-2 times a year but definitely I will do a lot of track days. Just personal fun, personal goal and self satisfaction.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:39 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 798 Posts

In that case start doing some HPDEs first and use all the free instruction you can get. Then, once you plateau, get professional coaching
Old 05-09-2018, 07:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by sautan
I signed up without knowing it since I was just trying to learn proper racing technique. Nevertheless, I still got a lot out of it in term of basic stuffs.

I am looking for true racing school that focus on teaching student racing stuffs.

My ultimate goal is to obtain a racing license even though I am not going to race but just personal goal. Thank you.
There are seven schools I recommend.

Many use purpose-built, open wheel or competition prepared GT cars. All will prepare you for a competition license, whether you decide to get one or not.

Skip Barber Racing School. New owners, new cars, incredibly experienced staff. At major tracks in the East. I have no hesitation recommending them because of the commitment the new owners have made to return the school to the level it was more than a decade ago. Terry Earwood is leading many of the schools and stalwarts like MHP and others are the upper level of racing instructors around. The curriculum is tried and tested over decades.

Bertil Roos Racing School, new owners but still led by one of the best in the business, Dennis Macchio. Decades of the experience, primarily runs open wheel cars in the Southeast and Northeast. Great, hardcore school. Bruce MacInnes and Olympic ski record holder Divina Galica are star instructors.

Lucas Oil School of Motor Racing. Newest formula cars equipped with data and video, top notch instructors like Todd Snyder, Randy Buck, Jonatan Jorge and others. Primarily in Florida but branching out to the Northeast at Lime Rock and others major tracks.

LevelUp Racing Schools. Based at Road America and also at Atlanta Motorsport Park, this school is owned by top instructor Peter Stolz, and he is often joined by other incredibly experienced staff such as Steve DeBrecht, Keith Watts and twice Daytona 24 (once class, once overall) and Sebring 12 Hour overall race winner, “gentleman Jim” Pace. Uses Miatas but you may get more wheel to wheel racing experience in this school during a two or three-day than most others.

Allen Berg. Formula cars at Laguna Seca, what else needs to be said? Allen is superb, and his staff is terrific.

SimRaceWay at Sonoma and Bondurant in Arizona offer good programs but a little more on the “experience” side, although there are terrific instructors at each.

There are more, but the first four are worth going to. For anyone...
Old 05-09-2018, 07:08 PM
sautan
Advanced

Thank you ProCoach. Will the formula car benefit me since those are ultra high performance car and my car is normal street car! Can i apply the same technique on the street car?
Old 05-09-2018, 07:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

While the stability control, anti lock braking and other safety nets in your street car make it much easier, the laws of physics don’t know the difference between the purpose built cars and your high Performance street car.

The foundation that you will learn at these schools of the best execution of fundamental skills is universal across all cars...
Old 05-09-2018, 07:23 PM
sautan
Advanced

Cool. So I guess it won't go wrong with whichever I pick? Most likely Allen due to shorter distant to travel. BTW, i am in Los Angeles.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Cool. So I guess it won't go wrong with whichever I pick? Most likely Allen due to shorter distant to travel. BTW, i am in Los Angeles.
Berg runs a great, serious program. You’ll get good value from it. https://www.allenbergracingschools.com/

Do a two-day, better yet a three-day program and you’ll really get some good feedback and guidance.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:50 PM
sautan
Advanced

Well, change of heart and going to Bondurant's 4 days program. Me and my wife.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

A family that tracks together...

Andy Lee, BJ Zacharias, Caanan O'Connell and a ton of good instructors there.

Have fun!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-09-2018, 10:05 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,272 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I received my race license after several years of DE with PCA. I'm skeptical that a three day program can provide someone with the experience they need to go racing. If someone has a bunch of track experience, and they use a race school as a "finishing school", I can understand it. But in the absence of other track experience I am skeptical.

Opinions?
Old 05-10-2018, 01:05 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
.... I'm skeptical that a three day program can provide someone with the experience they need to go racing. If someone has a bunch of track experience, and they use a race school as a "finishing school", I can understand it. But in the absence of other track experience I am skeptical.

Opinions?
I don't disagree but Porsche SDS offers a racing license after completing their level two (or three, don't recall which) courses.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:26 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Be sure to check in the sales forum. There are often gift certificates available for Bondurant.
They also have some better prices in the summer when it's 110 in the shade here.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:46 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
I don't disagree but Porsche SDS offers a racing license after completing their level two (or three, don't recall which) courses.
PSDS does not provide a license, You can apply for SCCA license after completion of Masters RS or Masters RSR. For someone with no track experience requires completion of 2 day Precision course+ 2 day Masters course+ 3day Masters RS.

Quick Reply: Top 3 Racing Schools in the USA you would recommend