Sponsored by:

PCA VIR Club Race 2018

Old 07-10-2018, 08:01 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nice video and excellent choice in music! Good stuff.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:27 PM
rmag
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool video Cory
Old 07-10-2018, 11:01 PM
FilthyF14
User

I'm the Race Chair for the Zone 2 Race at VIR. Good feedback on the race - particular the weather in Virginia in June - both at the track and on this forum. The idea of swapping the Zone 2 DE dates in March with the Zone 2 Club Race in June has been discussed but not considered a good idea for the Zone. Many of the considerations already discussed in this thread.

The next possibility is to put the VIR race on the PCA calendar on May 10-12, 2019. SCCA has that VIR weekend now but the track will ask them if interested in swapping for our June date.

The May date would be two weeks after Lime Rock and three weeks before Watkins Glen. And it's Mother's Day. Would appreciate feedback from the racers on this idea. Far from certain and need agreement from SCCA but we're asking the question.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2018, 11:14 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Everything has a ripple effect.

May 10-12 is the SCCA SARRC MARRS Challenge weekend... an extremely popular event that gives the South Atlantic racers a chance to race against and with Mid Atlantic cars that they never 'see' throughout the year. I think SCCA would be hard pressed to swap out of that weekend.

And that weekend is the weekend before the Barber PCA race.

I think VIR needs to erect an enormous air conditioned enclosed canopy over the circuit... like the NFL training centers.

BOOM! Problem solved.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:43 PM
dwe8922
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice video Corey

I don't like the heat either, but I'd hate to see VIR that close to the Barber race. I think one of the races would suffer. There are 5 or 6 of us that come up from Orlando every year to VIR, and we hope to do the same for Barber going forward. We all self support, and attending two races back to back wouldn't be possible, which would be a shame since they are both of reasonable driving distances, and pretty close to each other gegraphically. I was excited to add Barber this year as that gives us 5 races that are a day's drive away from FL....
Old 07-11-2018, 09:51 AM
MSR Racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was told that it is unlikely that there will be a Barber race in 2019
Old 07-11-2018, 09:53 AM
MarcD147
Addict
Rennlist Member

are there any October dates that could work?

I had two atypical mental lapses resulting in damage $$ (and they will cause me to miss my home race) luckily no other cars or bodily damage. Even though VIR is one of my favorite track I wont be back for the pca clubrace in its current summer timeslot unless i can up my physical/mental game so I can handle the conditions
Old 07-11-2018, 10:02 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist Member
Rennlist
Small Business Partner

With SCCA hosting the RunOffs in 2019, I am sure they and the track are pretty set on their schedules next year...
Old 07-11-2018, 11:22 AM
FilthyF14
User

Originally Posted by MSR Racer View Post
I was told that it is unlikely that there will be a Barber race in 2019
no mention of a Barber Race when talking to PCA about a MAY date for VIR.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:29 AM
FilthyF14
User

Default Enduro

another goal is to finish the races earlier on SUN. Eliminate or greatly reduce warm-ups and combined run groups. Donít have time for two enduros before the 1100 quiet hours - but could have a second enduro done by 1:30. Afternoon could be a Vintage sprint or 4 hours of open track time for DE. Comments welcome!
Old 07-11-2018, 12:09 PM
CCA
User

The SCCA race is a big event for the two regions. They won't be making a likely harmful switch to their program. At this point, I think the viable options are:
- Tagging on a Mon/Tue to the Zone-2 or FSR HPDE. Combining groups on Sunday, since the fields tend to thin that day and adding a couple Race Practice groups. The FSR HPDE might be a good choice for that, since that Monday is Memorial Day
- Hoping the PWC won't be returning next year (??) and that weekend could be grabbed
- Looking at the Fall for a date
Old 07-11-2018, 12:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist Member
Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Date equity is huge for both tracks and for the renters.

The SARRC/MARRS SCCA event has been around for more than a decade, more of a chance for a fall date that for SCCA to give up a practice weekend for the RunOffs.

Not sure why itís been so oppressive on the Club Race weekend the last few years. Itís been quite nice in the past for vintage events held during June, but maybe my memory is faulty...
Old 07-11-2018, 12:30 PM
rmag
Addict
Rennlist Member

March, May, June, August, October...dont care. VIR rocks and I'll be there regardless.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:25 PM
24Chromium
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmag View Post
March, May, June, August, October...dont care. VIR rocks and I'll be there regardless.
+911
Old 07-11-2018, 03:04 PM
RSA964993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FilthyF14 View Post
I'm the Race Chair for the Zone 2 Race at VIR. Good feedback on the race - particular the weather in Virginia in June - both at the track and on this forum. The idea of swapping the Zone 2 DE dates in March with the Zone 2 Club Race in June has been discussed but not considered a good idea for the Zone. Many of the considerations already discussed in this thread.

The next possibility is to put the VIR race on the PCA calendar on May 10-12, 2019. SCCA has that VIR weekend now but the track will ask them if interested in swapping for our June date.

The May date would be two weeks after Lime Rock and three weeks before Watkins Glen. And it's Mother's Day. Would appreciate feedback from the racers on this idea. Far from certain and need agreement from SCCA but we're asking the question.

Thanks
If you're looking for feedback on that particular date I'm all for it. I'm PCA, not SCCA so obviously biased but I'm guessing this would help attendance for the PCA VIR race as the heat conversations are rampant around the paddock and I'm guessing keeping people away. I'm sure you have attendance numbers and would be interesting if the numbers are declining. VIR (for me anyway) is kind of like the must do tracks like Road Atlanta, Road America and the Glen. So moving to a more favorable date weather wise will help tremendously as people really want to attend but that kind of heat has got to be a factor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: