Old 06-27-2018, 04:53 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

^^^
Watched some video Saturday where a slower car appeared to pick a side, so the overtaking car committed to his pass, then the car being passed moved right, and ran him off the track resulting in a busted radiator.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:46 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Tini and I really clicked with the VIR circuit. Fast, scary, technical, and very rewarding. The professor, Matt D, gave me some coaching tips that that I managed to bungle at the top of the climbing esses. Skip to 31:20 to see how badly I implimented his suggestions. Sorry coach!

In all 3 races it felt like I was always stuck behind a slower car with way more horsepower. I've got to work on my racecraft!

Last edited by 24Chromium; 06-29-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:23 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Tini and I really clicked with the VIR circuit. Fast, scary, technical, and very rewarding. The professor, Matt D, gave me some coaching tips that that I managed to bungle at the top of the climbing esses. Skip to 31:20 to see how badly I implimented his suggestions. Sorry coach!

It felt like I was always stuck behind a slower car with way more horsepower. I've got to work on my racecraft!

Lar, Im no coach, but from my point of view, you give too much input in your steering and this upset the car , that's what happened in that case.

I told u that in ur trailer, isnt it ?
Old 06-27-2018, 09:33 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
Lar, Im no coach, but from my point of view, you give too much input in your steering and this upset the car , that's what happened in that case.

I told u that in ur trailer, isnt it ?

Totally agree. I knew it the nanosecond after I turned the wheel. Just thankful I kept it off the walls.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:37 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,718 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I see a TREMENDOUS amount of "meandering" down the straights. No reason for it. Also, those slower classes battling side-by-side need to keep an eye on the rear view mirror. Nothing wrong with disengaging for a moment, letting the leaders by, and reengaging.
I prefer the term "aimless wandering" and there's way too much of it, especially on VIR's back straight. These days I just assume they're checking texts. Sadly, I doubt few of the guilty spend any time reading Rennlist...

Last edited by Nizer; 06-27-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:39 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Gary R.
C'mon Scott, it was't all that long ago that the majority of E class drivers were consistently being beat by the CT D Stock crew... now I know we were all cheating, but we never insinuated the E class should all quit....
Gary I bought my car assuming it was Connecticut stock. I am going to have a long talk with Dan Jacobs....
Old 06-27-2018, 11:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
Gary I bought my car assuming it was Connecticut stock. I am going to have a long talk with Dan Jacobs....
Hahaha! That's sort of like racing vintage twenty years ago against the South Florida "2-liter" 911's, the only thing you could be sure of was that the FIRST digit of the displacement was "2"
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-28-2018, 01:00 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 133 Posts

We had one car we supported loose and engine Friday, but our other K class client shared his car with this driver for the Enduro on Sunday which was pretty neat. It was great to see our guys having a good time sweating it out together in the enduro. A little bumble in the pits caused us time that could have taken us to a P1 finish, but that is racing (and wisdom!). As a silver lining they did win the worker's choice award.

Sorry for those that suffered losses. From my understanding race control was very busy taking down numbers.

re: good club racer is both "safe" and "fast" not just fast. Very true. Unfortunately sometimes the "safe" portion can be an expensive one to learn.

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 06-28-2018, 07:34 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
Maybe that "James Dean" motor in there is bringing you down! Or is it just the Motronic you got from my car, I forget...? My 3.2 stock motor made 275HP!
Old 06-28-2018, 10:03 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Pictures from the white Sprint... Courtesy of F&S Enterprises. You can view these with or without FB account... Copy and Paste the full thing into a browser

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10216254854581058.1073741859.1143797824&type=1&l=bf1bd27aef

Link to Photographer:
http://www.fandsenterprises.com/inde...26#page=thumbs

Last edited by Paul Solk; 06-28-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:03 PM
Quinlan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
Are you Santa Coach?
Peter has a particular set of skills...

Old 06-28-2018, 01:24 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
E is best grouped with 944s and boxsters.

Caymans, F, G, etc just throw out the anchor at every turn.
Hi Clark, I raced with you guys at Barber, finished ahead of the Es in Sprint 1 and behind you, Meissner and Martinson in Sprint 2. Had a great time racing with you, admired your driving, complimented you on it Saturday night. You're right, I should be faster, working on it, doesn't mean I had any less fun racing (cleanly) with you guys. I admire what you guys do every weekend. Sorry to be in your way.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:50 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 515 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
To expand on this, if the overtaken car just PICKS A SIDE, telegraphing clearly to the car behind WHICH side has the most room to make a safe pass, it's best for all concerned. NO reason to go OFFLINE, make the faster cars take the long way around. But make a decision and transmit unequivocally that decision to those following (or overtaking) behind.

I see a TREMENDOUS amount of "meandering" down the straights. No reason for it. Also, those slower classes battling side-by-side need to keep an eye on the rear view mirror. Nothing wrong with disengaging for a moment, letting the leaders by, and reengaging.

That said, the primary responsibility SHOULD be on the overtaking car to make a safe pass. I know it's not the rule, but it answers a lot of questions for people trying to make the right decisions WHEN passing... Use it as your own guide.
As a sometimes faster car, I take it a step further: if possible, I 'present' myself behind the car I'm overtaking to make sure they see me. I know when my car was much slower, sometime the fast guys would seem to appear out of nowhere because they were in my blind spot the whole time, or they just passed a car that's behind me so they are off to the side and out of my view. I just want to make sure the slower car knows I'm there and making the pass.

But yes...as Mark and Peter mentioned, all anyone asks is for the car being overtaken to be PREDICTABLE... pick a side, stay there until the car(s) pass. Simple and avoids all kinds of issues.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 06-28-2018, 01:50 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MRW
Hi Clark, I raced with you guys at Barber, finished ahead of the Es in Sprint 1 and behind you, Meissner and Martinson in Sprint 2. Had a great time racing with you, admired your driving, complimented you on it Saturday night. You're right, I should be faster, working on it, doesn't mean I had any less fun racing (cleanly) with you guys. I admire what you guys do every weekend. Sorry to be in your way.
I was waiting for someone to mention this.

Just because you are not squeezing 110% out of the car, it doesn't mean you're not having fun. And club racing should be fun.
There are different factors at play here, driver skill is certainly not the only one.

Dealing with traffic, slow, fast, in class or not, is part of race craft. Don't complain, deal with it.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:27 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by al@cpt
Dealing with traffic, slow, fast, in class or not, is part of race craft. Don't complain, deal with it.
Agree. I'm just a hack, but I was stuck all weekend behind two cars three classes ahead of me who I could occasionally get around in slow sections only to be passed like I was in neutral on the straights. Is what it is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCA VIR Club Race 2018