Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do people become good at track driving? Once a year won't cut it.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 12:43 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
"I do one or two DE events each year, and I just enjoy it for what it is.
I fully intend to stay in Green forever, because that is the reality of skill acquisition.
So, every time I attend a DE, I wonder to myself about the logistics of how the people there became skilled.
Basically, how did you get enough seat time to translate your time into true progress?
I am asking because I am interested in the subject of skill development, not because I want to drive in Black."

Given your statements above, these are what helped ME (1) attend more DE events, (2) shift your mindset from merely "enjoying it for what it is" to being in a safe/fun learning environment, (3) listen to your instructors and debrief after each session, (4) talk to other drivers in the paddock between sessions and compare notes, tips, lines etc, (5) discuss these with your instructor (probably as you stage before going out for the next session), (6) try new things and evaluate what works and especially what DOESN'T work for you and your car and finally, (7) while going fast is important, focus more on improving your driving skills (i.e., looking ahead, smooth steering inputs, proper throttle and brake application, understanding weight transfer and balancing the car, etc) than your lap times. These should help a bit. Lastly, request rides with your instructors in their cars, it really helps to see (and FEEL) how a more experienced driver runs the same track...invaluable! Hope this helps.
Used to be neat to have your instructor drive your car so you could see what it can safely do... Couple years ago had an instructor in SCCA offer to take my 930 out, drove the entire track in 3rd gear, and was still faster than I was, though I was squealing the tires in every turn. Learned a lot in that moment, though I still can't replicate what he did.

This time around asked the same instructor to take a z3 out to see what he thought. He politely declined.

I think a lot has changed in the last couple years. I don't think instructors can still drive a students car? Not sure...

Still need to smooth things out and keep the tires from squealing... Smmmmoooothness is more difficult than one might think...
Old 05-09-2018, 02:38 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Lots of good advice but I will add one thing I don't think anyone else said - you get out what you put in.

If your goal is to remain in green you will stay a green student.

My goal was always to go club racing and I worked at it. I listened to my instructors, watched videos, read books, listened to people who had experience, and tried to go to the track as much as possible.

You'll only get better if you want to make it out of green.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:01 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
Used to be neat to have your instructor drive your car so you could see what it can safely do... Couple years ago had an instructor in SCCA offer to take my 930 out, drove the entire track in 3rd gear, and was still faster than I was, though I was squealing the tires in every turn. Learned a lot in that moment, though I still can't replicate what he did.

This time around asked the same instructor to take a z3 out to see what he thought. He politely declined.

I think a lot has changed in the last couple years. I don't think instructors can still drive a students car? Not sure...

Still need to smooth things out and keep the tires from squealing... Smmmmoooothness is more difficult than one might think...
I've had instructors take my car out for laps at two different tracks in the last two DE days I did. Both showed me the line the wanted, braking zones, turn in etc.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:03 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

With PCA at least, I believe instructors are still able to driver student’s cars for a lap or two (with the student’s permission of course) to show the student the proper line etc. However I was suggesting going out in the instructor’s car (mindful that the instructor’s car’s make/model might be different to the student’s car) because the instructor knows his car much better. Luckily for me, my best instructors have similar cars to mine...hehehe

Quick Reply: How do people become good at track driving? Once a year won't cut it.